Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone used Trail Gator tow bars for kids bikes?
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping that Brian let's this one slide...

Tried out a Trail Gator tow bar for my 4yo that I've had for several years (for first born) but never really used until this weekend gone.

Initial setup and test around the house seemed to work ok with 4yo appearing to be as upright as I'd expect. There was a slight turn to his handlebars to I adjusted the front fork lock, in hindsight perhaps not tightening up the clamp super hard in the process.

Later that afternoon went out for a cruise with daughter also along on her own bike. She commented that he looked like the 4yo was tipping over. There was a slight lean but nothing drastic and we went along fine for another ~2km. Later when I had to stop suddenly at an intersection he leaned sufficiently hard that it just kept rotating with him but he safely put his feet out. I straightened it up and just figured once rolling the momentum would keep it upright. Not to be. 50m later and the rotation brought us both down at about 10kph. Had to walk everything home and carry him.

Wondering if any other users here and if any issues had arisen? Perhaps it was just a matter of not being sufficiently tightened, but there's a few posts about the web that imply that they aren't always super stable.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone used Trail Gator tow bars for kids bikes? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They aren't that stable. Ok for a rail trail. But the problem usually lies with the kid. After a time they love to test just how far they can lean over before messing the whole works up.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone used Trail Gator tow bars for kids bikes? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks for that. I'll try to remember to stay away from built up locations.

I might look to install the training wheels raised an inch as a failsafe. It's a shame because he's not capable of keeping up with the older two and pulling him with a swim cord doesn't work that well with braking!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not what you're looking for but have you seen the wee Hoo trailers? We do more mountain biking and took our daughter all over in ours. Now that she's too big it has really cut down on our family ridingsince we're limited by her endurance.

https://rideweehoo.com/
Last edited by: Moonrocket: May 8, 17 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one of these used from a friend. It works great, but takes some getting used to because it does feel a little wobbly if your kid isn't smooth. We haven't used it a lot, as both my son and I prefer that he's on his own bike, but it works well when we ride dedicated multi use paths for a longer distance than he'd generally ride on his own bike, as it gives him the opportunity to catch a little break.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:

You're aware of the rule, that's generally good enough for me. Lets not make this a reoccurring thing though.

I am pulling a bit of a JD21 here and giving and inch. Don't take a mile.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone used Trail Gator tow bars for kids bikes? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

You're aware of the rule, that's generally good enough for me. Lets not make this a reoccurring thing though.

I am pulling a bit of a JD21 here and giving and inch. Don't take a mile.

It's ok, I only know metric. I appreciate you reaching out with a trans-hemispheric act of good will.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone used Trail Gator tow bars for kids bikes? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's quite the stubborn little mule and will want to feel more part of the action. He's outgrown his little trailer and not really keen to try and get him back into one.

Cheers anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone used Trail Gator tow bars for kids bikes? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I bought one of these used from a friend. It works great, but takes some getting used to because it does feel a little wobbly if your kid isn't smooth. We haven't used it a lot, as both my son and I prefer that he's on his own bike, but it works well when we ride dedicated multi use paths for a longer distance than he'd generally ride on his own bike, as it gives him the opportunity to catch a little break.

Your thought process is spot on how I feel about it. The beauty of the bar, had it worked, is that it would give both options with the one bike. I don't think we would get enough out of a new addition before he grows out of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was lucky to pick mine up for $25USD, so it wasn't a gamble with the expense since I'll just sell it to another friend for the same when I'm done with it...hoping to get more utility out of it with my daughter when she's ready. But for now with my son we just take more little breaks when he's on his own bike and building up his endurance. The entire ride with him feels like a break for me anyway for now, so I suppose there's no harm in making it a little more enjoyable for him and for me since eventually I'll be the one asking him to slow down and take a break.

mv2005 wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Your thought process is spot on how I feel about it. The beauty of the bar, had it worked, is that it would give both options with the one bike. I don't think we would get enough out of a new addition before he grows out of it.
Quote Reply