Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How would your opinion of the Iraq War have been changed if they had found WMD? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had wmd's been found, i imagine many thousands of dead people/soldiers/civilians would have been found in their wake due to their use. but there were none to be had and therefore none were used. so, i would have been even more against the war than i was/am due to additional death/destruction/darkness.

ultimately it brings the country one step closer to bankruptcy, on a variety of levels.
Quote Reply
Re: How would your opinion of the Iraq War have been changed if they had found WMD? [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that we have chewed off more then we can chew and we should leave democracy to the countries citizens to stand up for and quit being the world savior. We are starting to see signs/economic indicators that the US is sliding rapidly as the world power. I know that in a few generations or less will wake up one day and say, what happened to the US? But the fact is it is liking smoking cigarettes, it kills slowly. You enjoy the smoking and dont think about 10 years down the road and IMHO I think the US is losing its power, certainly econimically speaking, thats when the wheels REALLY start to come off the cart!!
Quote Reply
Re: How would your opinion of the Iraq War have been changed if they had found WMD? [kangaroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am nor either a Republican or a Democrat. I have served in the military. Yes other dicatators have WMD's. I also realize there are many interests in goverment of the reasons to go to war. It sends a clear picture IMO to the rest of the middle east that we will not tolerate those who harbor terrorists. Hussein had plenty of time to move the stockpiles of crap he was storing to Syria or elsewhere. He denied the UN inspectors violating many agreements and so forth. Is this really about democracy and human rights, hell no. It is about having a presence in the middle east. Hell I guess we could have done like Billy did and just lob a couple of cruise missles to make it look as we did something.
Quote Reply
Re: How would your opinion of the Iraq War have been changed if they had found WMD? [smokeater1833] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sends a clear picture IMO to the rest of the middle east that we will not tolerate those who harbor terrorists.

Afghanistan should have sent that kind of clear message. Iraq certainly did not.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: How would your opinion of the Iraq War have been changed if they had found WMD? [smokeater1833] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Is this really about democracy and human rights, hell no. It is about having a presence in the middle east. Hell I guess we could have done like Billy did and just lob a couple of cruise missles to make it look as we did something."

"Having a presence in the middle east", .... absolutely. Probably no different than in Korea and Vietnam. It's about having strategic position in a geographical region of value. A large part of the strategy is to promote democracies whom we can deal with politically and economically. Whether it's an after thought or part of the motive, such policy and actions do create a much better way of life for the people of the countries involved and contribute to a better world in general.

The alternatives on the other hand .............. and in this particular case leaves a global threat and menace unchecked.

" The only easy day was yesterday." -*/

Today was the tomorrow, we worried about yesterday!
Quote Reply
Re: How would your opinion of the Iraq War have been changed if they had found WMD? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No fair playing in my thread unless you answer the question. So far we have lots of pretty good arguments both for and against the war, but only one person who has made a case that the lack of WMD actually made a significant difference in his opinion of the effort in Iraq.

Please answer the question.
Quote Reply
Re: How would your opinion of the Iraq War have been changed if they had found WMD? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would not have mattered to me regarding my opinion of the wisdom and justice of the war. Even if he had them, he wasn't going to use them against us. (Or give them to Islamic terrorists, either.) They would have represented no more threat to us if they existed than they did in not existing.

It would have affected my opinion about the honesty of the Bush administration. I thought at the time that they were spinning the intel like a top, and that even at the time, they were laying the groundwork to hang the CIA out to dry. My perception about that would have been proven wrong if WMDs had actually existed, and the "evidence" we had was accurate. But they didn't exist.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: How would your opinion of the Iraq War have been changed if they had found WMD? [kangaroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i 'm sick and tired of the way the word 'whining' is overused.

Usually by conservatives who don't think anyone has the right to question their omniscience.

My opinion wouldn't have changed. I don't trust Bush, never have never will, and nothing they say will change my opinion of him.

He took 9/11 and turned it into a chance to expand on his father's 'new world order' strategy.

These people want to dominate the world, to maintain their own wealth.

period.

I ignore the news. It's all horseshit.

I rarely post in political forums anymore, because as far as I'm concerned it's pointless.

Since my opinion is nothing but 'whining ' to the 'with us or against us' majority, I usually don't share it.

and p.s, there was no whining in the voice in my head as I wrote this. Indignation, anger, disgust, oh yes, whining, not a bit.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: How would your opinion of the Iraq War have been changed if they had found WMD? [zoomzoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"These people want to dominate the world, to maintain their own wealth."

Hmm, I guess it's what? ... less than 2 years left for George junior to do what he can to dominate the world then it's over.

Maintaining his own personal wealth from his foriegn policies on terror and homeland security? (or any other policy for that matter) I'm not saying you're wrong (maybe I'm just ill informed / missing a point or two) but for the life of me I can't figure out where that would apply.

Yeah I try to practice what I say. I don't play computer games at all and I make a conscious effort to maintain a high threshold before letting out any whining sounds. Whether it be my neighbour's home entertainment playing a little loud or political criticisms of our administration, I believe whining is more a result of mental weakness and self-concocted intolerance rather than a result of any actual reasons.

In politics our system has a whole bunch of checks and balances embeded; from the actual elections to the 4 year maximum 2 term, to Congress etc. This ensures that nothing even close to as catastrophically wrong as what the critics whine about are likely. It's a case of looking for some browning leaves on an otherwise lush and healthy tree.
Quote Reply

Prev Next