Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

American Standoff
Quote | Reply
Is a documentary which will air tonight on DRTV here in US. i will be watching it with great interest. Purports to cover the Malheur standoff in OR and the struggle for land rights in the American West

So it's a part of the Sagebrush Rebellion that's flaring back up again?
https://en.wikipedia.org/.../Sagebrush_Rebellion

i love backpacking and fly fishing in places like Yosemite, Yellowstone or Golden Trout Wilderness. While no one is realistically talking about 'reclaiming' those particular lands there is a LOT of Federal land out in the West that could help energize State economies and provide jobs if opened to mining and oil/gas exploitation. Can modern methods allow for this without the place looking like some sort of slag heap from Mordor?

Great read on the genesis of the modern aspects of this conflict in Brinkley's "The Wilderness Warrior: Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America."

https://www.amazon.com/...s=wilderness+warrior

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: American Standoff [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if it's going to look like Mordor, but I am confident if federal lands are transferred to state or local governments and those governments then sell or lease to private companies to mine it, those companies are unlikely to allow you to access it, so you won't actually know what it looks like.
Quote Reply
Re: American Standoff [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worked at a coal mine in SE Wyoming that was on a lot of BLM land. We technically couldn't kick someone off the property, but could call authorities if they were interfering with the operation.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only available on Direct TV...

That's unAmerican :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a lot of ways I support transfer back to the state especially in the western US. I believe that the states in the west are pretty good stewards of the land and don't buy into they are going to sell it off to the highest bidder. I would like to see some protections put in place to prevent this or assure that it goes through legislative process.

One observation that I've made living in Idaho is people in the midwest and east coast have no concept of how much public land is out there available for recreation. Just this week I was in Minneapolis talking with a supplier about my enjoyment of riding my dirt bike and side by side. I explained that 1 area that I frequent has a couple of hundred miles of trails/roads available to ride. They couldn't get their head around having this much available and this is just a small area about 1.5hrs from Boise.

There is a boat load of public land available for multiple uses in the West. I'm not for mining and developing every inch of it but if these activities are profitable for the state with the proper controls in place many economies would benefit. Recreation, land use, timber harvesting, mining all have their places.

I also support wilderness areas which we have a lot of in Idaho and my birth state Montana.

Just my 2 cents,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twenty-five years ago I used to fly fish a lot in the mountains of CO and WY. There were a lot of creeks and rivers and drainages that were barren/sterile due to the continued run off from old mining operations. Most of these were just old time simple holes dug into the side of mountains, not much to look at and easily overlooked, but slag and trailings left behind is still there killing all the fish 100 years later.

These creeks and rivers all looked wilderness pristine to the naked eye, but not a fish to be found in them. Deadly toxins running off from the surrounding peaks.

Last edited by: Endo: May 4, 17 12:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it is oil and gas it is unlikely to look like Mordor but you will likely have more company on the water as the access opens up. For mines, I know in Canada they can restrict access to the land, I'm not sure of the rules so it maybe only close to the operating mine that is restricted but I have driven past lots of no trespassing signs put up by mines. They also restrict hunting on the mine property, I think the biggest Big Horn Sheep in Alberta was shot just off mine property where they hang out a few years ago.

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: American Standoff [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Only available on Direct TV...

That's unAmerican :-(

Just started. I am recording it

Come on over to GA and we can drink cheap bourbon or good rum and watch the recording

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well in summary

i thought it was pretty one sided in that it portrayed the ranchers/protestor/occupier side almost exclusively.

i was also disappointed in that it did very very little to place the issue within the greater context of the sagebrush rebellion--which i view as a valid issue (personally) i guess this is what i am most disappointed in. There exits a serious issue and debate here on 'best use' of western lands. They walked past that :-(

in so far as the actual wildlife occupation--again one sided. If they attempted to interview the Fed/FBI/Justice side of the equation i saw no effort in that regard.

so interesting but not very professionally done imo

/r

Steve
Quote Reply