Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Answer me this computer question
Quote | Reply
Why the fuck would this change be necessary?

Old way...if I want to print a schedule at work I click on the schedule I want and press the print icon and boom I have the shit I need with one click.

New way...if I want to print the same schedule I now have to go through 5 different steps to print a fucking schedule.

Step 1...select schedule
Step 2...select a format
Step 3...export
Step 4...open file
Step 5...click print icon

Now here is the good shit...after years of just pressing the one click print icon to get a schedule out of habit, if you now decide to click the same print icon before all the other steps it will kick you out of the scheduling program and I have to log back in.

Some shit just doesn't need to be fixed! Unbelievable
Last edited by: SkipG: May 2, 17 3:46
Quote Reply
Re: Answer me this computer question [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an attempt to make you stop printing so much by making it inconvenient.

Why do you want to kill all the trees?
Quote Reply
Re: Answer me this computer question [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's supporting the US paper industry. #treesLivesDontMatter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every few weeks or months or years, I deal with the same BS. Some website changes and I have to input more data and info and nothing is better. I still have a hotmail account that has probably changed at least 5 times in the last 10 years, and the same goes for other accounts like Youtube or Facebook. Many might say that its the developers trying to justify their careers or contracts by tweaking a few things. I honestly think that this is a trend that will continue into the 21st century because of the mind set that "new is always better". Bah Humbug!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you meant to post in this thread....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We replaced our old cash register terminals with new ones, state of the art top of the line, it loads pages (menus) twice as slow as the old one. go figure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume that this isn't an announced change?

Pressing a print icon shouldn't log you off and kick you out of the system - something is broke. It sounds like method 2 is really just a workaround for something that broke inside method 1. If everyone is having the same problem, the company will likely fix it. If you are the only person having the problem, it sounds like there could be a configuration that is off and causing this.

A friend once told me - "The only perfect software is obsolete."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:

Old way...if I want to print a schedule at work I click on the schedule I want and press the print icon and boom I have the shit I need with one click.

New way...if I want to print the same schedule I now have to go through 5 different steps to print a fucking schedule.

Step 1...select schedule
Step 2...select a format
Step 3...export
Step 4...open file

Now here is the good shit...after years of just pressing the one click print icon to get a schedule out of habit, if you now decide to click the same print icon before all the other steps it will kick you out of the scheduling program and I have to log back in.

That's job security for the developers.
Step 1...re-invent the schedule processing, making it worse than before
Step 2...convince leadership the new schedule printing process is better
Step 3...deploy new schedule printing process without User Acceptance Testing
Step 4...Piss off users because new schedule printing process is inefficient and worse than before
Step 5...redeploy old process, but likely get asked to refine new schedule printing process to it's better than before!

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Answer me this computer question [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I assume that this isn't an announced change?

Pressing a print icon shouldn't log you off and kick you out of the system - something is broke. It sounds like method 2 is really just a workaround for something that broke inside method 1. If everyone is having the same problem, the company will likely fix it. If you are the only person having the problem, it sounds like there could be a configuration that is off and causing this.

A friend once told me - "The only perfect software is obsolete."
we just get emails saying they will be performing updates overnight. We get to come in and stumble our way through until we figure shit out.
Quote Reply
Re: Answer me this computer question [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
SkipG wrote:

Step 1...select schedule
Step 2...select a format
Step 3...export
Step 4...open file

That's job security for the developers.
Step 1...re-invent the schedule processing, making it worse than before
Step 2...convince leadership the new schedule printing process is better
Step 3...deploy new schedule printing process without User Acceptance Testing
Step 4...Piss off users because new schedule printing process is inefficient and worse than before
Step 5...redeploy old process, but likely get asked to refine new schedule printing process to it's better than before!

Yeah, that's how software developers think and work. Not.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Answer me this computer question [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_kid wrote:
Every few weeks or months or years, I deal with the same BS. Some website changes and I have to input more data and info and nothing is better. I still have a hotmail account that has probably changed at least 5 times in the last 10 years, and the same goes for other accounts like Youtube or Facebook. Many might say that its the developers trying to justify their careers or contracts by tweaking a few things. I honestly think that this is a trend that will continue into the 21st century because of the mind set that "new is always better". Bah Humbug!

This!!! OMG!!! Every time Hotmail "updates", it gets worse. It is sooooo bad right now, I want to go back to 2002.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Answer me this computer question [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
tri_kid wrote:

This!!! OMG!!! Every time Hotmail "updates", it gets worse. It is sooooo bad right now, I want to go back to 2002.

You think that's bad? Verizon, as of tomorrow, is no longer even providing email service.

Which is good, as the UI absolutely sucked. Moved everything to gmail.

And, please, software developers aren't driving these changes that everyone abhors.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:

Step 1...select schedule
Step 2...select a format
Step 3...export
Step 4...open file

As the saying goes: "It's not a bug, it's a feature!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple possible causes.

Most likely, someone else insisted that they needed to be able to export to Excel or an .ics file. Fortunately, that functionality was built into the reporting engine, but now you have to go through the new process.

I know with SQL Server Reporting Services, there used to be a reporting control that had to be downloaded and installed on the client to print reports. If your IT department doesn't allow clients to install anything, they can't print, so you have to export to .pdf or something and print it that way.
Quote Reply