Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anthony Joshua vs Wlad Klitschko (spoiler)
Quote | Reply
Joshua KO's Klitschko in the 11th round in front of 90,000 fans in Wembley Stadium in London. Boxing's heavyweight division may not be that big in the USA any more but its obviously huge in other parts of the world, especially the UK. I honestly believe its not big in the USA any more largely because its not dominated by American boxers any more.

Joshua is the force in the HW division now with 19-0 with 19 KO's. This was the first time he ever went past the third round. Got to give Wlad and his brother Vitali a lot of credit. They completely dominated the HW division for ten years and were two of the best HW's of all time. But Vitali retired and younger brother Wlad lost his title to Tyson Fury in 2015 in this was his first fight since then at age 41. Time to retire. The future belongs to 27 yr old Anthony Joshua of the UK.

Its on HBO tonight at 11:00 E.T.
Quote Reply
Re: Anthony Joshua vs Wlad Klitschko (spoiler) [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joshua's intro was a little over the top, with the flaming letters and elevated platform. Since when did boxing go WWE?

Great fight though. I thought the old man might draw him out. The uppercut was the game changer.

Also, he's been past the third. I think he's gone at least seven.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Anthony Joshua vs Wlad Klitschko (spoiler) [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no doubt the HW division was the most exciting during the Ali years. But Ali was more than just a boxer, he was a social phenomena. It was the times. Nowadays, well, they're all just boxers.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Apr 29, 17 23:57
Quote | Reply
That right from Wladimir was a little worrying. If Wilder hits him with that (when/if they fight), then it's lights out for Joshua.
Quote Reply
Re: Anthony Joshua vs Wlad Klitschko (spoiler) [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Joshua KO's Klitschko in the 11th round in front of 90,000 fans in Wembley Stadium in London. Boxing's heavyweight division may not be that big in the USA any more but its obviously huge in other parts of the world, especially the UK. I honestly believe its not big in the USA any more largely because its not dominated by American boxers any more.

Joshua is the force in the HW division now with 19-0 with 19 KO's. This was the first time he ever went past the third round. Got to give Wlad and his brother Vitali a lot of credit. They completely dominated the HW division for ten years and were two of the best HW's of all time. But Vitali retired and younger brother Wlad lost his title to Tyson Fury in 2015 in this was his first fight since then at age 41. Time to retire. The future belongs to 27 yr old Anthony Joshua of the UK.

What a fight! At one point, in the 6th round (I think), I thought Wladimir had him, but he just couldn't finish it off. They both fought excellently, so entertaining. You're right, the end of the Klitschko era has came, true sportsman and gentlemen in and out of the ring. But Anthony Joshua, wow, what an excellent young sportsman and generous too - bought his first coach a brand new BMW 6-series, to say thank you for his success in boxing!

He's a classy kid and will go far. No cheap trash talk or excuses which was refreshing. Wlad is also a gentleman. I've been watching the HW's since the early 1970's and that fight was as good as the best of what I've seen over the years and certainly the best of the decade..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't really followed much boxing, but caught the last few rounds on HBO today. I was impressed with both in the post-fight interviews. Nice to see gentlemen boxers instead of the ignorant trash talkers.
Quote Reply
Re: Anthony Joshua vs Wlad Klitschko (spoiler) [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I haven't really followed much boxing, but caught the last few rounds on HBO today. I was impressed with both in the post-fight interviews. Nice to see gentlemen boxers instead of the ignorant trash talkers.

It was refreshing for sure. Wlad has a PHD in sports physiology. Not your typical boxer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

It was refreshing for sure. Wlad has a PHD in sports physiology. Not your typical boxer.

And he is married to hottie actress Hayden Panettiere, not feeling too sad for Wlad, he has had an excellent run and he took Joshua to the 11th in a good match.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not Joe Calzaghe? Was he just followed by the Welsh? Undefeated middleweight. Great fighter.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Anthony Joshua vs Wlad Klitschko (spoiler) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Not Joe Calzaghe? Was he just followed by the Welsh? Undefeated middleweight. Great fighter.

I thought it was great when he beat Bernard Hopkins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah. The klitchkos are HUGE in germany.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Anna s wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

What a fight! At one point, in the 6th round (I think), I thought Wladimir had him, but he just couldn't finish it off. They both fought excellently, so entertaining. You're right, the end of the Klitschko era has came, true sportsman and gentlemen in and out of the ring. But Anthony Joshua, wow, what an excellent young sportsman and generous too - bought his first coach a brand new BMW 6-series, to say thank you for his success in boxing!

He's a classy kid and will go far. No cheap trash talk or excuses which was refreshing. Wlad is also a gentleman. I've been watching the HW's since the early 1970's and that fight was as good as the best of what I've seen over the years and certainly the best of the decade..

That's exactly what I thought after the fight! This fight will go down as one of the best in boxing history. As a lad coming from the ABC Finchley Gym (this is located in the area of London I grew up in), I expect he had plenty of people to keep his feet on the ground. A friend of the family (another british ex-pat in Germany) drove over to watch it live, bet the atmosphere at Wembley was amazing.

Yes, my dh has always followed the HWs too, but do you remember Prince Naseen from the featherweight boxing scene in the 90s? He was extremely exciting to watch and maybe also the only time I've followed someone in a lower weight class.

You should look into Vasyl Lomanchenko. Probably the best boxer out there atm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1M-DrNcqSY
Quote Reply