Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone ever purchase a buyback/lemon titled car
Quote | Reply
(I readily admit this doesn't sound like the best idea)

In the car market and found one I really like a few states away. Researched it and found it has a lemon-buyback title. I ask for all the paperwork on the issue to investigate. Basically the drivetrain light came on frequently around 16k miles. The dealership, to the best of my knowledge, decided to take back the vehicle due to a complicated repair. From the disclosure document, I can see the complaint and date of the repair signed by the dealership.

From my understanding, the manufacturer must return the car to the initial quality and conduct all required tests before allowing it back on the market. Because of the title, these often go to auction rather than remain on the dealership. The vehicle is still under warranty for another 14 months.

Generally, I would run from these issues. But in this case, I can trace the repair back to the manufacturer (vs Joe's Garage) and the car is under warranty for a bit longer so if if the issue hasn't been resolved properly, there is still recourse.

Anyone ever gone this route?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever purchase a buyback/lemon titled car [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have purchased salvage title cars from auction in the past. Of the 10-12 in our family, all but 1 was absolutely fine. The 1 that was not had minor, cheaply repaired issues. Now my wife's cousin manages a dealership, so we just give him a budget, a general idea of what we want and don't want, and let him do all of the leg work and basically tell us what we're getting at his deal (within reason).

Trispoke wrote:
(I readily admit this doesn't sound like the best idea)

In the car market and found one I really like a few states away. Researched it and found it has a lemon-buyback title. I ask for all the paperwork on the issue to investigate. Basically the drivetrain light came on frequently around 16k miles. The dealership, to the best of my knowledge, decided to take back the vehicle due to a complicated repair. From the disclosure document, I can see the complaint and date of the repair signed by the dealership.

From my understanding, the manufacturer must return the car to the initial quality and conduct all required tests before allowing it back on the market. Because of the title, these often go to auction rather than remain on the dealership. The vehicle is still under warranty for another 14 months.

Generally, I would run from these issues. But in this case, I can trace the repair back to the manufacturer (vs Joe's Garage) and the car is under warranty for a bit longer so if if the issue hasn't been resolved properly, there is still recourse.

Anyone ever gone this route?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever purchase a buyback/lemon titled car [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rental buybacks as a rule are generally good other than Avis, Alamo, Budget, Enterprise etc are a bunch of cheap fucks and don't change the oil when they should. Luckily most engines and engine oils are better than advertised now so it's 'usually' not an issue. Rental buybacks are a great way to get into a mildly used car at a bargain price.
Quote Reply