Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: US economic growth lowest in three years after Trump elected..... [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
dry heat wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
windywave wrote:
Are you really this economically ignorant?

Hey, if Trump can take credit for the recent jobs report, then he owns this one too. I think perhaps that was the OP's point.

Of course we all know that Trump had little to no affect on either of those reports. I think that the perhaps OP was pointing out the hypocrisy of of Trump's jobs report claim.

CG appreciates your attempt at helping him here I'm sure, in what was just an ideological cheap shot with no economic basis in reality. However, apples and oranges. The jobs report can mean many things, including Trump could taking credit if there was a surge in hiring due to relaxed regulations, for example.

So let me fully understand

Good stuff happens - thanks Don (because somehow it's correlated to his actions, yet smart folks now correlation isn't causation)
Bad stuff happens - it's probably Obama's fault, but it's certainly not Sonny's fault

All politicians take undeserved credit and deflect negative news. Was that way under Bush, under Obama, and now Trump.

Yes, but Trump didn't merely take credit or deflect, he used the opposite of facts to confuse issues. For example, the 42% unemployment under Obama. I had no problem with him using that stat, but he can't act like he's comparing apples to apples and then when his numbers come out, he forgets about the 42% and has no problem with the normal unemployment calculation. He also tried to imply that GDP growth under Obama was routinely negative or zero when only 2009 was negative. Then he predicted GDP growth under Trump would be 6% because if India can do it, America should be able to.

Bush and Obama might have said unemployment was higher because of the weather or whatever, but they didn't just make things up.
Quote Reply
Re: US economic growth lowest in three years after Trump elected..... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
dry heat wrote:
windywave wrote:
dry heat wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
windywave wrote:

Hey, if Trump can take credit for the recent jobs report, then he owns this one too. I think perhaps that was the OP's point.

Of course we all know that Trump had little to no affect on either of those reports. I think that the perhaps OP was pointing out the hypocrisy of of Trump's jobs report claim.

CG appreciates your attempt at helping him here I'm sure, in what was just an ideological cheap shot with no economic basis in reality. However, apples and oranges. The jobs report can mean many things, including Trump could taking credit if there was a surge in hiring due to relaxed regulations, for example.

Few regulations have been relaxed as of now

"For example"...

You want me to cite to shit that hasn't been repealed ... fine. Code of Federal Regulations Title 1 through 50 inclusive.

Dude, relax, it was an example of something that could happen (something Trump has mentioned that he could actually enact), that could actually impact the jobs number in the short term...I don't need you to cite anything.
Quote Reply
Re: US economic growth lowest in three years after Trump elected..... [dry heat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dry heat wrote:
windywave wrote:
dry heat wrote:
windywave wrote:
dry heat wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
windywave wrote:

Few regulations have been relaxed as of now

"For example"...

You want me to cite to shit that hasn't been repealed ... fine. Code of Federal Regulations Title 1 through 50 inclusive.

Dude, relax, it was an example of something that could happen (something Trump has mentioned that he could actually enact), that could actually impact the jobs number in the short term...I don't need you to cite anything.

My point is GDP and NFP are backwards looking and Trump can't own either legitimately. He can jump up and down and point to the stock market because that is forward looking.
Quote Reply
Re: US economic growth lowest in three years after Trump elected..... [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's from Canada, by that definition alone he is economically ignorant.

You're right. We should learn more from the brilliant economic gurus that frequent this board, as long as they are from the U.S of course.

Quote Reply
Re: US economic growth lowest in three years after Trump elected..... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
He's from Canada, by that definition alone he is economically ignorant.

You're right. We should learn more from the brilliant economic gurus that frequent this board, as long as they are from the U.S of course.

You're welcome
Quote Reply
Re: US economic growth lowest in three years after Trump elected..... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, fallacy of excluded middle. Somewhere between "No effect" and "powers of divine right" lies reality (you should visit it sometime ;). You asserted an extreme position, got called on it. You compounded terrible argumentation with a logical fallacy. Why not try an ad hominum attack and go for a hat trick?

Speaking of reality, the number is a bit weak, and that is surprising. Consumer sentiment picked up right after the eelction, and spending should have risen more. This isn't Trump's fault at all (too early), but it points to some possible weakness on the horizon, given large spikes in the stock market and consumer confidence. Could be a small correction, Of course it is only one quarter, so it might all be in the noise.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Apr 28, 17 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: US economic growth lowest in three years after Trump elected..... [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Sorry, fallacy of excluded middle. Somewhere between "No effect" and "powers of divine right" lies reality. You asserted an extreme position, got called on it. You compounded terrible argumentation with a logical fallacy. Why not try an ad hominum attack and go for a hat trick?

The president in a vacuum has no effect on the economy. I stand by that. Reagan through Clinton bull run needed congressional tax cuts and regulations adjustment. The executive when ceded power by the legislature for regulation creation by and administration has some power at the margins but nothing material. It's all about Congress and the executive neither branch independently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for backpedaling like mad ;).

Of course, by that exact reasoning Congress has "NO" effect on the economy, because they can only pass legislation with the President's approval (unless they override a Presidential veto, which hasn't happened since pretty much forever for major economic legislation).

The importance of Congress or the POTUS to the economy is often overstated, but you do yourself no favors with overstatements in the opposite direction.

The employment numbers will be interesting next week, not because we can blame anybody, but because last month's were very weak. Either these recent GDP numbers are small blips, or some storm clouds are gathering.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Apr 28, 17 13:29
Quote Reply
Re: US economic growth lowest in three years after Trump elected..... [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Thanks for backpedaling like mad ;).

Of course, by that exact reasoning Congress has "NO" effect on the economy, because they can only pass legislation with the President's approval (unless they override a Presidential veto, which hasn't happened since pretty much forever for major economic legislation).

The employment numbers will be interesting next week, not because we can blame anybody, but because last month's were very weak. Either these recent GDP numbers are small blips, or some storm clouds are gathering.

I didn't back pedal one step.

Clouds have gathered
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Clouds have gathered

I do not disagree.
Quote Reply

Prev Next