Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ESPN Talent Cuts [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Jayson Stark also cut, excellent baseball writer.

MLB Network will pick him up, easy

I remember when he was at The Inquirer as a clubhouse reporter for the Phillies

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Talent Cuts [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Kennel too. Funny watching the University of Michigan fans around me celebrating his demise because he said some mean things about Jabrill Peppers.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Talent Cuts [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like the vast majority of cuts are local correspondents and on-air people, but I am a bit surprised by Stark, Kannell, and one or two others.

Get rid of Stephen A. Smith, and a bunch of the basically nameless parade of SC anchors who are all still trying to be Rich Eisen or Stewart Scott.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All networks seem to start out focused and eventually get full of themselves.

Re: ESPN Talent Cuts [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmeer wrote:
I tend to listen to espn radio more, well, mostly just Russillo and Kanell but Kanell just got axed. Hopefully they don't get rid of Russillo, then I'll just have nothing to listen to.
Stephen A just signed a huge new contract in December for his own radio show. He was on MadDog Radio before.

Russillo's role is being cut back.

I would listen to Russillo and Kanell on the way home from work, not any more.

The only regular show I watch is ESPNFC and their other Soccer coverage

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Talent Cuts [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Jayson Stark also cut, excellent baseball writer.

WTF?! I may start spending my morning commute on Fox Sports radio. Sorry Mike and Mike, but this time of year one of the reasons I listened was for Jayson Stark's trivia.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Talent Cuts [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Seems like the vast majority of cuts are local correspondents and on-air people,

Predictive Analytics Expert
Rufus Peabody

never heard of him

Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Talent Cuts [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait!Wait!Wait!

They let Ed Werder go the DAY BEFORE Draft Night??!!!

That's just cruel

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like ed werder and Starks. I am pretty surprised they got cut. I can't stand Steven a piss. He sucks...bad, real bad ( cue Obama phone lady). Also, Berman needs to go, but he will retire in a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't recognize any of the names. But I cut cable years ago.

Just heard report on NPR (during Jazz hour). They mentioned declining cable subscribers but FAILED to mention the elephant in the room: ESPN is stuck to huge, huge long-term contracts they signed with NBA and NFL. Why does NPR fail to report this major factor relating to the layoffs?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Talent Cuts [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Also, Berman needs to go, but he will retire in a year.

They made a YUGE deal about him leaving NFL Primetime and put together and hour-long special that celebrated his years as the [bloated] face of ESPN

https://vimeo.com/201734686

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add Jim Caple to the list, excellent all-around writer where he mainly covered baseball but also covered the TdF the past few years. He's also an avid cyclist and wrote a few years ago about his own ride up Alp d'Huez. He had a great series years ago in the old Page 2 days where he did a week-long cross-country baseball road trip, starting with a game at Safeco Field and then taking in various minor league and town ball games along the way, also stopping at the Field of Dreams in Dyersville, IA, Wrigley Field, Cooperstown and ending it with taking in a game at Fenway from inside the left field scoreboard.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Talent Cuts [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Just heard report on NPR (during Jazz hour). They mentioned declining cable subscribers but FAILED to mention the elephant in the room: ESPN is stuck to huge, huge long-term contracts they signed with NBA and NFL. Why does NPR fail to report this major factor relating to the layoffs?

Maybe they were trying to tie in ESPNs subscriber decline to set up for an upcoming pledge drive at your local public broadcasting station?

"See what happens when you don't subscribe? Your favorite people go away. Make a pledge today, and continue to support public broadcasting. Thank you"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

The thing is, Live sporting content was one of the few things that we kept cable for as long as we did, but you have to pay a ridiculous premium to Comcast for 500+ channels of other BS to get the games you want. If I could just order ESPN and a few others a la carte, I'd gladly pay whatever their cut was out from under the rest of the cable filler crap like Lifetime, HSN, and Flip or Flop, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

I used to love NPR. Listened to it all the time. But in my opinion, they have lost their way. Almost every story they do is biased to the liberal side of things, and they often miss the mark on a story, like the point you just mentioned. How you could do a story on ESPN without talking about the billions that they own for content is just piss-poor journalism.

Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Lebetard I like as well, just not on any time of the day I can easily listen to the radio.

I can't stand Lebetard. His whole show is a celebration of how stupid his show is, and I agree with him. It is unlistenable to me. To each their own.

I actually liked Colin Cowherd and tend to try to find him on whatever his new channel is.

I used to enjoy Mike and Mike but I swear that every 3-5 minutes they break for 7-9 consecutive minutes of commercials.

I may have to actually go back to listening to music on my commute......

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Talent Cuts [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike and Mike has too many commercials, which is why they're still employed by ESPN.

I like Cowherd. He;s on Fox Sport Radio now, (siriusxm channel 83 I think, not sure of the time though, noon eastern?)

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Word now is Mark May. Finally one I can really get behind.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Talent Cuts [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Clayton & his [alleged] ponytail

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the Professor!

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Talent Cuts [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I want is to view sports and scores. I don't want news. I don't need 10 minutes on Tiger's latest DUI. I don't need anchors standing around. If they can't sit at a table and deliver the goods they should look for jobs elsewhere.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Talent Cuts [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
All I want is to view sports and scores.

There's an app for that

Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Talent Cuts [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Get rid of Stephen A. Smith, and a bunch of the basically nameless parade of SC anchors who are all still trying to be Rich Eisen or Stewart Scott.

You might remember that sports writer Jeff Pearlman is an acquaintance of mine (he was on the UofD XC team the year before I got there and, as a result, we share a lot of common friends). He blogged about how sad it was that ESPN was dumping a lot of great sports journalists but keeping Smith. The gist of the post was about how "carnival barking" was more important to ESPN than actually quality journalism.

Smith called Jeff out on his radio show and, despite that fact that Jeff has always been outwardly anti racism (too much so, actually) and also called out Skip Balis in his same blog post, Smith accused Jeff of being racially motivated in his criticism.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
All I want is to view sports and scores.

There's an app for that

Yes but Why not fix what's broken? The present format sucks.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply

Prev Next