Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The media bubble: internet age
Quote | Reply
This is a great read, detailing the why's and how's of our new-age media 'bubble'. It's interesting...twenty years ago, even ten years ago for a lot of the country, the 'news' was consumed through local newspapers and news, with some weekend national shows providing more of a big-picture view. As the 'news' has shifted to the internet, and the average consumer has done the same, nearly everything we read is national news from these big coastal media markets.
http://www.politico.com/...bs-east-coast-215048

And to take this one step further than the author did, I think this concentration is part of why there's such outrage from rural America: for decades they've gotten their news from local papers, writers who came at it with a similarly-developed worldview. As the internet has taken over and become more of a go-to for everyday news rural folks are now getting their news from the liberal elites in NY, DC and LA. For me, having grown up in Boston reading the Boston Globe, I'm used to this liberal bias but I'd imagine it's been pretty jarring for majority of the country that lives outside these urban centers.

Anyway it's a good read.
Quote Reply
Re: The media bubble: internet age [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This about sums up most big city attitudes.

Having lived around the country close to big cities and rural "flyover" country (now living in NC), the thing that pisses of the most of mid-Am and their portrayal is the laziness of the reporters. Get off your damn ass, visit for more than a few hours, do some interviewing, then they might have a conceptual viewpoint.
Quote Reply