Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Free Fire
Quote | Reply
Free Fire is a pretty entertaining movie, with a good cast of odd characters, and a really simple plot, but it's missing something. Not sure I can put my finger on it, but it misses by just a little bit.

Free Fire takes place almost entirely in an old warehouse in Boston in the late 70s. It revolves around a meeting between a gun runners and IRA types who want to purchase weapons. The IRA contingent is led by Chris (Cillian Murphy), and the lead gun runner is Vernon (Sharlto Copley). Contact between the sides is arranged by Justine (Brie Larson) and Ord (Armie Hammer). Predictably, the meet goes awry, and the shooting starts. The rest of the movie revolves around the cast of characters trying to survive the hail of bullets and escape with either the guns or the money.

There's obviously plenty of violence and foul language in Free Fire, since the whole thing is about a long protracted shootout. There are a couple of more graphic violent moments, but the movie is not bloody violent like a Tarantino film. There really is nothing more to the plot than the long gun fight. That said, it stays entertaining throughout, with some funny dialogue, and decent characters. There is some intrigue as to who is really on whose side, but when all is revealed, it seems almost like an afterthought.

Free Fire is reasonably short at only 90mins, so you're not spending an entire afternoon out if you decide to go. However, you're not missing out on the next great thing either, if you decide to stay home and wait for it to come to cable.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Free Fire [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks good review as usual. But I'm a little disappointed as I thought this might be code for someone who cannot be named.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Free Fire [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like He Who Cannot Be Named needed to be granted a limited pardon to post on the Cry Like Bitch thread ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Free Fire [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Sounds like He Who Cannot Be Named needed to be granted a limited pardon to post on the Cry Like Bitch thread ...

Well I thought something was just amiss about the whole deal and you summed it up perfectly. More power over discussion here now while silent. Smooth operator he. I guess he might be a dangerous character to run into.

Oh, for the record I'm talking about Tibbs. I'm just a confused fellow.

Oh, further for the record, isn't it "biatch"?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Free Fire [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct - it is biatch. Damn autocorrect ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply