Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Religious extremist in my suburb. [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
By "struggles for freedom" the nationalists mean groups like the Luddites, right?

As Len pointed out the Luddites were protesting the use of machinery in a "fraudulent and deceitful manner" to get around standard labour practices. Convicted Luddites were either executed or sentenced to penal transportation.

Other political prisoners such as Irish rebels, Scottish rebels, striking sailors and other working class rebels were sentenced to transportation in Australia. There were even 150 Canadian rebels transported.

20% of the transportees were female. Prostitution wasn't a transportable offence. Most of the females were sentenced for stealing to feed their families. So there were not any "ha'penny hooker".
Quote Reply
Re: Religious extremist in my suburb. [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Most of the females were sentenced for stealing to feed their families. So there were not any "ha'penny hooker".

Not according to "A Commonwealth of Thieves," which is an excellent book.
Quote Reply
Re: Religious extremist in my suburb. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You are correct some of the women were prostitutes. However their crime, which resulted in transportation, was not prostitution, in most cases it was petty theft.
Last edited by: Ironnerd: Apr 26, 17 15:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should also point out that the Vice President of the USA is welcome to visit the western side of the rabbit proof fence. I will even throw a shrimp on the barbie for him.

Also the use of the word autistic as an insult is wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Most of the females were sentenced for stealing to feed their families. So there were not any "ha'penny hooker".

You are correct some of the women were prostitutes. However their crime, which resulted in transportation, was not prostitution, in most cases it was petty theft.

Not claiming in depth knowledge but a lot of the thievery convictions were a result of being paid or taking payment for services rendered..
i.e. the men would claim the women robbed them when the woman took a watch or cloak because he tried to stiff her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:

Also the use of the word autistic as an insult is wrong.

Only one person disagrees
Quote Reply
Re: Religious extremist in my suburb. [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So yes.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for my mistake. I was trying to convey the sense that those transported were generally people who were just in unfortunate life circumstances. Hope you had a happy ANZAC Day!

Ironnerd wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
By "struggles for freedom" the nationalists mean groups like the Luddites, right?

As Len pointed out the Luddites were protesting the use of machinery in a "fraudulent and deceitful manner" to get around standard labour practices. Convicted Luddites were either executed or sentenced to penal transportation.

Other political prisoners such as Irish rebels, Scottish rebels, striking sailors and other working class rebels were sentenced to transportation in Australia. There were even 150 Canadian rebels transported.

20% of the transportees were female. Prostitution wasn't a transportable offence. Most of the females were sentenced for stealing to feed their families. So there were not any "ha'penny hooker".

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:

I'm pretty sure that quote doesn't come from me. Please amend.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Religious extremist in my suburb. [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth. The error in the quoting occurred in my post which Windy Wave then quoted. Not sure how the error occurred in my post. I have corrected my post.
Quote Reply
Re: Religious extremist in my suburb. [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Sorry for my mistake. I was trying to convey the sense that those transported were generally people who were just in unfortunate life circumstances. Hope you had a happy ANZAC Day!

Actually I was agreeing with you. While some were political prisoners the majority were sentenced for petty crimes.

Unfortunately I had to work on ANZAC day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

I have just ordered this book. I have enjoyed a number of Tom Keneally's books previously.
Quote Reply

Prev Next