Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone ever gotten the balls to say what you were thinking... [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fat is something to be proud of now? Why is that?

How about weak? Weak pride!

There's a difference in being proud of who you are as a person, and not believing that any particular physical attribute defines you as that person, and holding up that physical attribute as something that you're proud of in itself.

I hope you can see the difference.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever gotten the balls to say what you were thinking... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
For the record, Tess Holiday is not healthy.

I can't figure out which side of nutcases is more irritating- those who feel justified in shaming overweight people, or those who promote fat pride.
1.) For me there's no way I'm going to shame a fat person. What good is it going to do them? What good is it going to do me? There's no upside.
2.) The "fat pride" issue is more complicated and depends on the context. On the one hand, Lord knows we've already got too many victims in this world. We certainly don't need every single fat person running around with a broken psyche brimming with self pity. On the other hand, I certainly don't want anyone "selling" obesity as desirable, preferable, or even inevitable. "Fat pride" tends to make a huge stew of all those issues, so it's tough to wade through intellectually.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever gotten the balls to say what you were thinking... [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly don't want anyone "selling" obesity as desirable,

Tess Holiday's entire career (and I suspect, her identity) is based on doing exactly that, which is exactly what I have a big problem with.

I am far more sympathetic to and far less judgemental of fat people than a lot of others in here- the fat shaming thing and their self-righteousness about it is always a nasty shock to me. But being fat, especially extremely fat, is not desirable, it is not healthy, is not something to take pride in, is not something to promote, and should be viewed as what it is- a problem that the individual would do well to fix.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever gotten the balls to say what you were thinking... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Fat is something to be proud of now? Why is that?

How about weak? Weak pride!

There's a difference in being proud of who you are as a person, and not believing that any particular physical attribute defines you as that person, and holding up that physical attribute as something that you're proud of in itself.

I hope you can see the difference.

I didn't say that, I said I can tolerate someone being ok with the way they look more than I can someone who thinks it's ok to shame someone else. I doubt you can see that after your last.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever gotten the balls to say what you were thinking... [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
eye3md wrote:
I hate seeing people litter.

I was pulling in to Starbucks when I saw this college aged dude throw his cup on the ground in front of his car and get in his car. I walked over to his car, tapped on his window and said "hey, you dropped your cup" in a sarcastic tone. I think it surprised him he got called out because he stepped out of his car and says "oh yeah, sorry" and picked it up.

Another time, I saw an old guy throw his coffee cup out his window one morning on the way to work. We were real close to a red light so I pulled up beside him and told him he should not litter. At first he denied it until I told him it almost hit me (it looked like a full cup when it hit the ground). He then started cussing and telling me to mind my own business. He was really getting irate but he sped off.

Drives me crazy too. This morning, i am driving to office and in one of our city's great parks. Behind a little car with Bernie and Love Trumps Hate and Mother Earth stickers all over the back. So to my surprise, at a stop sign, out the window comes a cigarette butt. Smokers, the world is their ashtray.

Oh cigarette butts kill me too. What do they think will happen, the used cigarette simply dissolves?!?!?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever gotten the balls to say what you were thinking... [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always want to say something when I see those hyper slim skinny business-casual people in the check-out line...unhealthy looking and can't stand still for a sec or two....jerking and jittery with and pouchy face.

Clearly on diet pills and all other kind of Uppers and totally ruining their lives and that of other people by being cranky rude little druggies in a suit...

But then I really feel sorry for them, and know they are just one step away from being fat slobs...

So no.

MLCRISES wrote:
In the grocery store line?

You know what I'm talking about here. Fat Ass in slippers and pajamas is buying frozen pizzas and a case of Coke. Judgement is written all over your face, but do you actually speak up and give this lazy good for nothing a public shaming.

I never have, but have been sooo close many times.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever gotten the balls to say what you were thinking... [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can buy cigarettes and doughnuts with food stamps for all I care. Just don't touch EVERY damn piece of produce and packet of chicken and ground beef before you make your decision.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever gotten the balls to say what you were thinking... [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
You can buy cigarettes and doughnuts with food stamps for all I care. Just don't touch EVERY damn piece of produce and packet of chicken and ground beef before you make your decision.

you don't eat avocados do you?

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever gotten the balls to say what you were thinking... [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
knewbike wrote:

you don't eat avocados do you?

Avocados are only good for 30 seconds. You buy them firm, take them home and wait for the magic moment,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
In the grocery store line?

You know what I'm talking about here. Fat Ass in slippers and pajamas is buying frozen pizzas and a case of Coke. Judgement is written all over your face, but do you actually speak up and give this lazy good for nothing a public shaming.

I never have, but have been sooo close many times.

Yup, but I'm pretty sure saying "it looks like you're having.... For supper tonight " isn't going to get me bitch slapped like some people​ need to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
I can't figure out which side of nutcases is more irritating- those who feel justified in shaming overweight people, or those who promote fat pride.

The various pride movements (gay pride, Pagan pride, fat pride...) are reactions. People who have had to live in the shadows in shame are simply saying that they are no longer going to do so. They are not ashamed about who they love, what they believe, or how they look.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever gotten the balls to say what you were thinking... [outerlimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the case of fat pride, it's an overreaction, and a harmful one, both on an individual and societal level.

Quote Reply

Prev Next