Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Top Maui places/activities
Quote | Reply
Off to Maui tomorrow for 8 days

I think I have a pretty good and varied plan: beach time, sight seeing, snorkeling, good eats, etc.

Staying at the Hyatt near Lahaina.

Any "must do's" that you would like to share?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Top Maui places/activities [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drive to Hana. Surf Jaws (kidding).

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Maui - been there a couple times and it's always fantastic.

The Hyatt (Regency I'm assuming...in Ka`anapali Beach? - they have Penguins there!) is a fantastic hotel with a lot of good features.

If you're into golf, there is a lot of good golf courses in the area, and you could even head north to play Kapalua and the Plantation course.

Definitely do a morning sun rise at Mt. Haleakala and if you're into it, do the bike tour associated with it. I know there are a few brave souls that will bike up the mountain, but most normally just descend.

Road to Hana takes a lot out of you, but if you love scenery, its worth the drive. Lahaina is a cute town with some fun activities to try out. There is also zip lines and outdoor type activities all around Kapalua as well.

Snorkeling out to the Molokini crater is fun as well, and you often get to see turtles along with all the other vibrant fish out there.

Some people will also take a day trip over to Lanai since it's so close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snorkeling at Honoloa Bay and Molokini
Hana and all the stops along the way
Art/food in Lahaina - if you like that kind of stuff
Buy the "Maui Revealed" book. We've bought these books for each of the islands we've visited and they are really good for selecting the things that you'd like to do and identifying must see and do items.

Edit: "Honoloa"
Last edited by: dry heat: Apr 13, 17 11:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
    I'd avoid the rat lungworm if I were you.
-
http://nypost.com/...esting-worm-disease/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
Off to Maui tomorrow for 8 days

I think I have a pretty good and varied plan: beach time, sight seeing, snorkeling, good eats, etc.

Staying at the Hyatt near Lahaina.

Any "must do's" that you would like to share?

Thanks

Road to Hana is pretty cool if you take your time and do the side hikes along the way. We used the "Road to Hana GyPSy Drive Tour" for Android and did a lot of hiking, stop half way for the banana bread also.

If you're a cyclist, rent a bike from West Maui Cycles and do the Western Loop, it was awesome but the headwind back into Lhaina was a bitch. http://www.westmauicycles.com/

Get as much of the shaved ice as possible. The ice cream in the bottom makes it great.

Take your time and relax. Try not to plan too many things out and just enjoy. It was beautiful when I went.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely eat at Mamas Fish House. Excellent food, gorgeous location!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road to Hana is a full day. You can get car sick on the twistys. We did it in a convertible and stopped several times--this helped make it a enjoyable trip vice something to endure

Snorkeling trip out to Molokini. Take a underwater capable camera. Simply awesome.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Top Maui places/activities [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It rains a lot on that side. If you are crossing a big puddle don't assume its shallow. That was my mistake.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waihee Ridge Trail was my favorite thing. https://www.strava.com/activities/940909549
Not far from the airport, up the Kahekili Highway, it is kind of hard to find, there are not many signs in Maui, but well worth it, when you get to the top you see helicopters flying below you!

Another good hike is the Lahaina Pali trail, it does not have the same rain forest feel, but at the top is a wind farm and you can see for miles, at a few points you can see the highway were you started and into the clear water below. https://www.strava.com/activities/911778311
This hike is sometimes done with a drop off at the other end of the trail near Maalaea and pick up where we started, you would need two cars, or arrange some type of drop off and pick up, the end and start are not far apart, but not a good walk.

If you do the ride down Haleakala Summit, book early to get one of the tours that uses good mountain bikes or one that lets you ride on your own. We used Maui Mountain Cruisers, because they were the only ones available last minute, the bikes were beach cruiser types, with under inflated tires, and we were rushed the whole tour.
This is the company I was hoping to go with http://www.mauibike.com/

My wife and I are avid scuba divers, we dove the Molokini crater, it was a good dive (my 500th!), but I don't think it would be great to snorkel, it might have been the conditions, but there was not much fish life, and it was below 30 feet. We could hear whales singing the whole time.

Another great thing to do, about a mile past Mama's fish house there is a surf beach, go down to the sand and walk back to the right, there are large sea turtles resting in the sand, you can get within 5 feet of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't miss Leodas pie shop at mile marker 11? just outside Lahaina, amazing food and a great place for getting sandwiches and stuff for day trips. I took my wife for dinner at Mick Fleetwoods in Lahaina as well, sat on the roof at sunset and had an amazing romantic evening.

Have fun, it's an amazing place.

Quote Reply
Re: Top Maui places/activities [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second the sunset ceremony at Fleetwoods on Front.

Also check out Star Noodle.

Re: Top Maui places/activities [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some great additions to the list

At the airport waiting to go!

Mahalo.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Maui places/activities [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
It rains a lot on that side. If you are crossing a big puddle don't assume its shallow. That was my mistake.

I was amazed at how different the climate is on the east side of the island. Worth seeing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will get mixed reviews but I really enjoy Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina. A $10 plate lunch or dinner with a $1 mil oceanfront view.