Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Putting together a home bar [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Solid list. People will adjust to what you have. I might spend a little more on the bourbons.

Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Part of my upcoming job will be entertaining in my home quite a bit. I don't do a ton of that now, and mostly only with people I already know well, so I know what they like to drink. Now, I'm going to have to put together a workable home bar. I don't plan to go way overboard, but I'd like to be able to make basic drinks. Here's my current plan. Looking for something I overlooked, or if this is too much. Also happy to take wine recommendations. I don't drink a lot of wine, so I don't have favorites, but I'd like to have bottles of American red and white on hand (probably under the $30 price tag).

Red wine - I don't drink a lot of wine, but I'll probably always have something like a Cab/Merlot on hand
White wine - likewise, I'll have something relatively dry on hand
Bourbon - I'll keep something like Jim Beam for mixing, and a couple bottles of something more interesting, maybe Blantons and Four Roses Small Batch
Scotch - probably JW Black, plus a few bottles of single malt (1 peaty, 1 or 2 sherry, and maybe one other lighter bottle)
Gin - Hendricks and Bombay dry for mixing
Rye - rittenhouse and/or Crown Harvest Rye
Rum - something light (maybe Mount Gay) (also maybe a coconut rum because it's good with lemonade)
Vermouth (dry and sweet)
Bitters (angostura and pichauds)
Pimms (just because I like a good Pimms cocktail)
Vodka - might be dumb to buy too much vodka given where I'm going, but maybe it would be good to have some Tito's since it's an American craft vodka?
Maybe some Port, since it's a traditional Navy drink?

I don't care for tequila, so people who want margaritas are probably out of luck.

Thoughts? I left out garnishes and the like. Obviously club soda, tonic, cola, etc.

What kind/nationality of guests will you primarily be entertaining? That should be guiding your choices.

Various kinds, various nationalities.

How often will the place be swept.

Be careful or you'll end up getting married to a South African Expat and none of your friends will show up because you're marriage ceremony is very inconviently located
Quote Reply
Re: Putting together a home bar [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wine list would be:

Pinot Grigio (there are tons of options under $10 that are decent - I don't like the stuff but most people seem to love it)
Kendall Jackson Chardonnay (~$10, I don't like it - way too over-oaked - but non-wine-snobs seem to love it)
Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot (> $10, this is probably the best value wine I've ever had)
Coppola Diamond Claret (I think someone mentioned this before - nice Bordeaux style without busting the budget)

Pinot Noir is too finicky - if you choose to go with one I would avoid the earthy ones like Burgundies from France or Oregon Pinots, stick with the fruit ones from California (and they're a lot cheaper).

Once opened, you can probably keep the whites in the fridge for a few weeks before they'll start to taste funny, but the reds should be finished within a couple of days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Like I said, I don't drink a lot of wine, so I was just going by what I tend to like. Something it's a wider potential appeal is great. I'll probably take a couple of cases of white and of red with me. Any specific recommendations for American wines

For reds I would stick to a Cab if you want to keep it simple. A pinot noir is also nice but if I had to pick one it would be cab. Off the top of my head two cabs I like around $20 a bottle are Rodney Strong and Chateau Ste. Michelle(Indian Wells). I have received good feedback on both when served. Both out of CA.

For white if you want to go with one then I'd choose a pinot grio. I've found Chardonnay drinkers will go to a pinot grio but not necessarily the other way around. That could just be my circle of friends. The only winery I am familiar here is santa margherita which is very popular right now. That probably doesn't help you though since it's not an American wine. I don't really drink white.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply

Prev Next