Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Am I a drink Snob
Quote | Reply
As I've matured I drink less to get drunk and more to enjoy the drink and it's flavor. No more rot gut and coke or lighter fluid and soda. On the aforementioned trip I've asked for a couple of drinks at seemingly nice places (i.e. in Chicago I'd expect synonymous bar in location to have the ingredients to make these drinks. These aren't places with peanuts on the floor) and they had never heard of them, didn't have the ingredients, or if had the ingredients had to ask me how to make it.

The drinks: Negroni, Aviation, Pimms cup, Amarula on the rocks, Brandy Alexander.

Any thoughts
Quote Reply
Re: Am I a drink Snob [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the bartenders are too young for those-they might get the one with lighter fluid though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never heard of any of 'em.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your headline is correct. Usually it's Manhattan, vodka tonic, or Tom Collins for me. A good Manhattan is rare though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Negroni...

Racist.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
As I've matured I drink less to get drunk and more to enjoy the drink and it's flavor. No more rot gut and coke or lighter fluid and soda. On the aforementioned trip I've asked for a couple of drinks at seemingly nice places (i.e. in Chicago I'd expect synonymous bar in location to have the ingredients to make these drinks. These aren't places with peanuts on the floor) and they had never heard of them, didn't have the ingredients, or if had the ingredients had to ask me how to make it.

The drinks: Negroni, Aviation, Pimms cup, Amarula on the rocks, Brandy Alexander.

Any thoughts

Pimm's cup and brandy alexander are common enough I'd expect most bartenders to know how to make them. The others, not so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I a drink Snob [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
windywave wrote:

Any thoughts

Pimm's cup and brandy alexander are common enough I'd expect most bartenders to know how to make them. The others, not so much.

If a bar has Campari but doesn't know how to make a Negroni, I'd wonder what's going on. I'd say the Aviation is a pretty unusual cocktail, and I'm not sure I would expect a bar to have Amarula, or even Pimms in the US. Brandy Alexander is just a drink for a bit of a dandy.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Am I a drink Snob [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Your headline is correct. Usually it's Manhattan, vodka tonic, or Tom Collins for me. A good Manhattan is rare though.

Tom Collins is usually on the dumbfounded look list as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
windywave wrote:

Any thoughts

Negroni is pretty common IMO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, it's not unheard of, just not surprised some bartenders might not know what it is. Some of it may be regional too, I suppose. Pimm's cups went through a fad revival out here in the northeast a few years back, not sure if that happened elsewhere. Haven't seen negroni on the drink menu much...but then I don't go out as much as I used to either, so maybe I'm just behind the times.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I a drink Snob [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
wimsey wrote:
windywave wrote:

Any thoughts

If a bar has Campari but doesn't know how to make a Negroni, I'd wonder what's going on. I'd say the Aviation is a pretty unusual cocktail, and I'm not sure I would expect a bar to have Amarula, or even Pimms in the US. Brandy Alexander is just a drink for a bit of a dandy.

That's exactly what happened I had to tell him the ingredient for the Negroni.

I grant the Aviation is a less frequently ordered drink these days, BUT if a bar is advertising itself as a high end cocktail bar they should have the ingredients.

Amarula see above

Pimms was a different bar, saw the bottle so I ordered it.

Guilty as charged
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A finely crafted Manhattan or gin and tonic is all you need. Throw in an occasional Moscow Mule or old fashioned.

Quote | Reply
I've order a Brandy Old Fashioned at several nicer bars here in Chicago and was told "I'm sorry, we don't have any brandy". I'm like HTF does a bar in the loop not have brandy?

Yes, I'm from Wisconsin and having an Old Fashioned with Brandy is the proper way to drink it ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Am I a drink Snob [GSJon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GSJon wrote:
I've order a Brandy Old Fashioned at several nicer bars here in Chicago and was told "I'm sorry, we don't have any brandy". I'm like HTF does a bar in the loop not have brandy?

Yes, I'm from Wisconsin and having an Old Fashioned with Brandy is the proper way to drink it ;)

Have you had an Old Fashioned at The Old Fashioned on the Square in Madison? Like that place a lot, go there with my family during the holidays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
GSJon wrote:

Have you had an Old Fashioned at The Old Fashioned on the Square in Madison? Like that place a lot, go there with my family during the holidays.

That's where I had my first... Old Fashioned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Any thoughts

You haven't had a really good lighter fluid and soda.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I a drink Snob [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually get one there for tradition's sake, though I'm not really a big fan. It's great Wisconsin comfort food - anywhere you can get a wurst platter, several different cheese platters, and so on is A-ok in my book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
GSJon wrote:

I have not. I do not get up to Madison often. It will be on my list of places to go when I get up there next.
Quote Reply