Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
So she played the game and she lost. What part did I miss that gives her reason to gripe? Or what part of her loss makes it the fault of the Electoral College?

I wasn't defending or attacking anyone. I was just saying that Trump won because of the peculiarities of the electoral college. If we had a popular vote or if electors were allocated in a more proportional manner Hillary Clinton would have won. You are correct that everyone knew and agreed to the rules going in.

I support the National Popular Vote Bill. If ratified by states representing 270 electoral votes, elections will effectively be decided by popular vote without amending our constitution.
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [outerlimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
outerlimit wrote:
Runningwithbees wrote:
So she played the game and she lost. What part did I miss that gives her reason to gripe? Or what part of her loss makes it the fault of the Electoral College?

I wasn't defending or attacking anyone. I was just saying that Trump won because of the peculiarities of the electoral college. If we had a popular vote or if electors were allocated in a more proportional manner Hillary Clinton would have won. You are correct that everyone knew and agreed to the rules going in.

I support the National Popular Vote Bill. If ratified by states representing 270 electoral votes, elections will effectively be decided by popular vote without amending our constitution.

Trump won the electoral college. These so called "peculiarities" have always been the rules. What people have been explaining here ad naseum (but still doesn't seem to be sinking in) is that different rules to the game would have resulted in a different campaign and a different election.

It's like looking at a basketball game and saying "oh, if we had been counting assists instead of points, my team would have won." Yeah, and if we were counting assists instead of points both teams would have played a whole different game, too.
Last edited by: SH: Apr 7, 17 12:46
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Trump for his part, seems to make talking about the election a regular part of almost every public statement he makes - gloating, boasting, going on an on about the electoral college numbers, regular mentions of voter fraud etc . . . and all this from the guy who won! Trump won (fairly we hope), why keep bringing it up constantly? What purpose does it serve?

Well, considering he is constantly being accused of colluding with the Russians to influence the election, I'll let him talk about it also.

Along those lines, what's the end game of the investigation? Will there be a recount? An emergency election? Will Hillary just be anointed President?
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Well, considering he is constantly being accused of colluding with the Russians to influence the election, I'll let him talk about it also.

Along those lines, what's the end game of the investigation? Will there be a recount? An emergency election? Will Hillary just be anointed President?

Trumps alleged collusion with Russia should be investigated. If he is guilty he should be removed from office or resign in disgrace like Nixon did. Pence would take over unless he too is guilty or otherwise ineligible in which case it would go to Speaker of the House Paul Ryan.
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Trump won the electoral college. These so called "peculiarities" have always been the rules. What people have been explaining here ad naseum (but still doesn't seem to be sinking in) is that different rules to the game would have resulted in a different campaign and a different election.

All true, if our election was run differently candidates would use different strategies. Trump might have won anyway, we will never know but it is hard for me to imagine Trump ever winning in a popular or more proportional election. Then again if we had a more democratic (small d) way of choosing presidents the GOP might have chosen a different candidate altogether.
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [outerlimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We spend so much time in the LR debating about the election results, electoral college, and the Russian Influence...we really should be debating how to change the system so we have two solid candidates to choose from! How the F did we end up w Hillary and Trump. That's gotta change.
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I'm not going to read her interview, about her interview, or this thread about her interview.

She lost because of her own actions. She was always a flawed candidate and still could easily have won but was never able to see her own flaws. She lost to an unhinged game show host. You have to fuck up pretty badly to make that happen.

No one made her use a private email server, no one made her make the basket of deplorables comment, etc. etc.

Now the rest of us have to deal with having an unhinged game show host as president.

It is reality TV not a game show
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
outerlimit wrote:
The biggest reason Trump won was the electoral college. Consider how small Trump's victory was in the key states he wasn't expected to win: Michigan 10,704; Wisconsin 22.748; Pennsylvania 44,292. Trump won these key states by a total of 77,744 votes or 0.05% of the 138,884,643 total votes. Due to the winner take all nature of these state elections 0.05% of voters were able to swing the national election to Trump. The electoral college also favors Republicans. The number of electors each states has is determined by their number of congressmen. Since every state has at 2 senators small states have more pull. Our least populous state Wyoming with 563,767 residents and 3 electors has one elector per 187,922 residents. Our most populous state California with 37,254,503 residents and 55 electoral votes has one elector per 677,354 residents. A Wyoming voter has over 3.5 times as much influence on the election as a California voter. Since most small states lean Republican they have a built in advantage. Considering what a small number of votes gave Trump the victory we could blame it on any number of things.

Great story.... did you have a point?
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
outerlimit wrote:
The biggest reason Trump won was the electoral college. Consider how small Trump's victory was in the key states he wasn't expected to win: Michigan 10,704; Wisconsin 22.748; Pennsylvania 44,292. Trump won these key states by a total of 77,744 votes or 0.05% of the 138,884,643 total votes. Due to the winner take all nature of these state elections 0.05% of voters were able to swing the national election to Trump. The electoral college also favors Republicans. The number of electors each states has is determined by their number of congressmen. Since every state has at 2 senators small states have more pull. Our least populous state Wyoming with 563,767 residents and 3 electors has one elector per 187,922 residents. Our most populous state California with 37,254,503 residents and 55 electoral votes has one elector per 677,354 residents. A Wyoming voter has over 3.5 times as much influence on the election as a California voter. Since most small states lean Republican they have a built in advantage. Considering what a small number of votes gave Trump the victory we could blame it on any number of things.

Oh, it was the founding fathers (I'm sure they had strong women at home) who are responsible.

My weekly reminder: Hillary never visited Wisconsin once. For some reason she visited Washington several times even though it was never going to go red. Oh, that's right, it was the money in Seattle. Screw those poor Panera eating people in Wisconsin.

Well played
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I support the National Popular Vote Bill."

You're an idiot who obviously failed every civics and US history class you ever took.
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
We spend so much time in the LR debating about the election results, electoral college, and the Russian Influence...we really should be debating how to change the system so we have two solid candidates to choose from! How the F did we end up w Hillary and Trump. That's gotta change.

Yup
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Runningwithbees wrote:

RUSSIA!!!!

Remember when people were blaming Russia for weird weather? This is the new level of stupid...
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Do you know what is going on in this gif?

There's a highschool cheering squad practicing nearby?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
The election was 6 months ago.

Get over it. Everyone. Just.get.over.it.

It would be helpful if the two chief combatants got over it!

Clinton for her part - I know she is speaking out here about it, and this never looks good when you have lost - has been on the whole reasonably quiet about it all.

Trump for his part, seems to make talking about the election a regular part of almost every public statement he makes - gloating, boasting, going on an on about the electoral college numbers, regular mentions of voter fraud etc . . . and all this from the guy who won! Trump won (fairly we hope), why keep bringing it up constantly? What purpose does it serve?

we hope?

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Do you know what is going on in this gif?

There's a highschool cheering squad practicing nearby?

That's Hillary catching Bill ogling Ivanka at Trump's inauguration.

No joke.

The look on her face...

"Really? Here? Now? Jeez..."

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So did misogyny play a roll in her loss?

Yes, the fact that her husband is a misogynist and she defended him, and attacked his victims, absolutely played a roll in her loss.

That was a big factor with the women I know who didn't vote for her.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we hope?

Just following along that there are active investigations into what role the Russians played in influencing the election.

Irregardless of political position, I would think it it would be extraordinarily concerning to anyone, that another country meddled in the elections of another country and in some way influenced the outcome - yes/no?

I said "we hope" - characterize me as a naive optimist that, that was NOT the case, and that the elections were run without, outside influence. I truly hope, that for the United Sates sake, that is what the situation was.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Hillary says "Certainly misogyny played a role" in election loss [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
"I support the National Popular Vote Bill."

You're an idiot who obviously failed every civics and US history class you ever took.

I interpret ad hominem attacks as the attacker not having a good argument. If I'm an idiot than I'm in pretty good company. Most Americans including most Republicans think future presidential elections should be decided by popular vote. Republican Newt Gingrich and Libertarian Bob Barr are both supporters the National Popular Vote Bill even though the electoral college favored conservatives in two of the last five presidential elections. But feel free to defend a system that guarantees that most people's votes don't count and makes our government less democratic rather than more.
Quote Reply

Prev Next