Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dogs on planes [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I'd rather have a plan full of semi-comfort dogs than most of the people I encounter. Hell, I'd be excited to be in the middle seat between those 2 huskies.
Ditto. Give me dogs over babies and toddlers.
Quote Reply
Re: Dogs on planes [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's being abused? The dogs? Or you?

Is it less abusive to crate the dogs in a dark, cold compartment?

Are you allergic?

Why is this "out of hand?" I can understand someone who is allergic who cannot sit near the dogs, but most planes are large enough to accommodate that. So what's the issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Dogs on planes [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
That's insane.

Where are the dogs going to relieve themselves? Bringing puppies on a flight that long, in what is surely going to be a scary experience, seems like a recipe for disaster.

Except that sometimes dogs need to be transported. The OP didn't specify how long the flight was, so why are you assuming the flight was "that long." Would you prefer that the dogs be crated and transported along with the cargo, where they can shit all over themselves?
Quote Reply
Re: Dogs on planes [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Pound Sand wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
This has gotten out of hand. I'm looking at a pair of husky puppies getting ready to board a four hour flight. Others have their small dogs in what is basically a suitcase.

This is abuse!

I flew from Detroit to Naples yesterday and I counted six different dogs on my flight. A couple were barkers, so I had almost three hours of barking dogs. Plus, a couple of cranky babies that couldn't sleep because of the noise.

The joys of flying.

Almost as bad, but not quite, as babies.
Quote Reply
Re: Dogs on planes [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
If they're "comfort pets" or "service animals" they ride for free, vs well over $100 otherwise.

There's no such thing as a "comfort pet." It's a term made up by dicks who aren't willing to understand people's needs.
Quote Reply
Re: Dogs on planes [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
That's insane.

Where are the dogs going to relieve themselves? Bringing puppies on a flight that long, in what is surely going to be a scary experience, seems like a recipe for disaster.

Except that sometimes dogs need to be transported. The OP didn't specify how long the flight was, so why are you assuming the flight was "that long." Would you prefer that the dogs be crated and transported along with the cargo, where they can shit all over themselves?

Op specified four hour flight. And yes, I'd expect them to be crated and can shit in the cargo bay, not in the cabin where other passengers have to put up with it.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Dogs on planes [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Not to completely derail the topic but not just planes but dogs anywhere.....I don't get why people think its acceptable to bring their dogs into restaurants or other retail stores.

Don't get me wrong, I like dogs but I took my daughter out to ice cream a week ago, saw someone walk with their dog to the door and saw a sign saying no dogs allowed, went back to the car to put the dog in the car and went back into the store. Since when is it acceptable to take your pet into any store you like?

Because they're sometimes necessary as service dogs or emotional support animals. These are people who may otherwise not be able to leave their homes and interact with the public. Sure, there's room for abuse, but that doesn't mean there isn't a legitimate need.
Quote Reply
Re: Dogs on planes [nhunter344] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nhunter344 wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
Both comfort animals and service animals need paperwork but it's against the rules or law to ask for it, so it's on the honor system.

Last I looked into this, airlines are required to allow service animals on flights, but emotional support animals don't fall under the definition of service animals and do not get the same legal protections. The airlines are only allowing people to bring emotional support animals to avoid giving the airlines bad PR by not allowing some Vet with PTSD to bring his emotional support dog on board. That was a year or so ago so things may have changed.

I will give Veterans a pass because as a non-Vet, I have no idea what kind of shit they've been through. For everyone else I usually go with the general notion that if you are that fragile that you cant go anywhere without your emotional support Chihuahua, maybe you shouldn't be going out. Maybe I'm just an ignorant old school type of person. Shit happens, deal with it. A flight full of people shouldn't have to pay $400 to listen to your stupid ass dog bark for 5hrs because you cant deal with life in the real world.

You're mostly correct with regard to the difference between a service dog and an emotional support animal.

But you're being a complete dick with your statement that if someone can't go somewhere without an emotional support animal, they shouldn't be going out. You're not old school. Your a dick.
Quote Reply
Re: Dogs on planes [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
justgeorge wrote:
If they're "comfort pets" or "service animals" they ride for free, vs well over $100 otherwise.

Don't service animals need some kind of training or certification? One would think there would be a fairly easy way to prevent every pet from being a service or emotional support animal. Something tells me two husky puppies wouldn't meet the definition...

You can get a certificate online for as little as .99 I was thinking of getting a therapy duck

Emotional support animals don't require any training and you can literally claim any kind of animal as a support animal. I just heard a piece on the radio about this and they interviewed a woman who has a support duck. I think I need a support cobra.

Except that people don't have the same legal rights with regard to support animals as they do with service animals.

While support animals don't need to specifically trained to perform some "supporting" task, support animals do not. But that doesn't mean that someone gets to decide on his or her own that the support animal is necessary. There need to be some recommendation from a mental or physical health professional. And while there are restriction about asking for proof, which leads to abuses, the fact still is that a person who lies about the need can be held legally accountable.

An easy solution to this would be to allow entities to ask for the proof. Someone with a support animal must be able to provide a recommendation from a health professional. Not much different than a handicap parking placard.

And entities can still deny access to a support animal under certain circumstances.
Quote Reply
Re: Dogs on planes [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Notwithstanding that, air travel survived for how long before all this nonsense. If you're truly disabled then ok. If it's for comfort, sorry. Allergies, noise, stench (accidental messing) should take priority. As others have said, charge a decent fee like 1/4-1/2 of passenger and this should clamp it down to absolute essential.

While air travel may have survived for long, there have been many people who have been unable to travel via air because of mental and emotional issues. So the question isn't so much whether airlines can survive, but rather whether we can expand the number of people who can travel via air.

That said, I don't have a problem with requiring some kind of doctor's recommendation. I don't even have a problem with an additional surcharge. I don't think there's any question that there's abuse. But the fact that people abuse the privilege and take advantage of the rules doesn't mean that others seriously benefit, nor does it justify the cavalier and dismissive ridicule some have here for people who truly need an emotional support animal to function in everyday life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
That's insane.

Op specified four hour flight. And yes, I'd expect them to be crated and can shit in the cargo bay, not in the cabin where other passengers have to put up with it.

Funny how my dog can sleep all night without shitting or pissing.

The dog doesn't get into the cabin unless it's a service or emotional support dog. Get over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
That's insane.

Funny how my dog can sleep all night without shitting or pissing.

The dog doesn't get into the cabin unless it's a service or emotional support dog. Get over it.

Could your dog do that as a puppy, as was the case in the OP?

And your second line is meaningless because as was pointed out you can get a service dog certificate for a dollar, and apparently it's against the rules to ask for one anyways.

I've got nothing to get over. I just think it's ridiculous to have pets in the cabin, which it appears was the case with the OP. I have a dog, by the way. No way in hell I'd potentially inconvenience a plane full of people because I wanted her next to me as opposed to in her crate in cargo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Could your dog do that as a puppy, as was the case in the OP?

Yes. As could most puppies.

And your second line is meaningless because as was pointed out you can get a service dog certificate for a dollar, and apparently it's against the rules to ask for one anyways.

How is it meaningless? I've previously explained in this thread my opinions on those issues.

I've got nothing to get over. I just think it's ridiculous to have pets in the cabin, which it appears was the case with the OP. I have a dog, by the way. No way in hell I'd potentially inconvenience a plane full of people because I wanted her next to me as opposed to in her crate in cargo.

Yes, but you don't need to have an animal present for service needs or emotional support. How big of you to compare you needs to those of others. In this regard, OP has no fucking idea whether the dog was merely a pet or something else. I recognize that there were two dogs, which may indicate that at least one was not necessary in the cabin. But that's on the airline and not the passenger, as the airline could have told the passenger that, while one support animal was allowed, two aren't.

By the way, how does a dog inconvenience a plane full of people? I fly a couple times a month for work. There are often dogs on planes, yet I've never been inconvenienced by one. Ever. In fact, unless I'm in the row where the dog is, I often have no idea unless I see the dog when boarding or exiting. What I have been inconvenienced by are babies, fat people, people with bad hygiene, drunks, and religious fanatics who think I want to talk to them about religion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh for God's sake, relax.

I've got nothing against legitimate service dogs. Thinking I'd put up a fight about someone with a seeing eye dog on a plane?

Read the OP, again. Carefully.

My issue is with people taking advantage of loopholes to get their pets in the cabin. Period.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
justgeorge wrote:

Don't service animals need some kind of training or certification? One would think there would be a fairly easy way to prevent every pet from being a service or emotional support animal. Something tells me two husky puppies wouldn't meet the definition...

You can get a certificate online for as little as .99 I was thinking of getting a therapy duck

Emotional support animals don't require any training and you can literally claim any kind of animal as a support animal. I just heard a piece on the radio about this and they interviewed a woman who has a support duck. I think I need a support cobra.

Except that people don't have the same legal rights with regard to support animals as they do with service animals.

While support animals don't need to specifically trained to perform some "supporting" task, support animals do not. But that doesn't mean that someone gets to decide on his or her own that the support animal is necessary. There need to be some recommendation from a mental or physical health professional. And while there are restriction about asking for proof, which leads to abuses, the fact still is that a person who lies about the need can be held legally accountable.

An easy solution to this would be to allow entities to ask for the proof. Someone with a support animal must be able to provide a recommendation from a health professional. Not much different than a handicap parking placard.

And entities can still deny access to a support animal under certain circumstances.

Yeah like its really hard to get a recommendation from a mental or physical health professional. I'm one of those guys and I'm not going to be the emotional support dog police. I'm not getting on the bad side of someone who wants to take their dog. You want your letter here it is....

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Dogs on planes [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
justgeorge wrote:

Yeah like its really hard to get a recommendation from a mental or physical health professional. I'm one of those guys and I'm not going to be the emotional support dog police. I'm not getting on the bad side of someone who wants to take their dog. You want your letter here it is....

In other words, you're not willing to do your job. Do you also prescribe opiates because you don't want to get on someone's bad side.

I get it. It's not much different than the employee who wants an "off work" notice or someone who needs a handicap placard. It's not perfect, but requiring people to go through the hoops is as reasonable as I believe we can expect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a recent flight home from SLC, there was a blind veteran and his service dog on the plane. Small black lab. As I'm boarding, he's sitting in an aisle seat with his dog curled quietly at his feet. The lady with the window seat next to him tripped over the dog as she was trying to take her seat, and said, "Oh! He's hard to see!"

Guys deadpans it. "Tell me about it!"

I fell out.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Dogs on planes [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was good. Thanks for the laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm willing to do my job just not willing to be the emotional dog police. It is quite a bit different. I don't work for the airlines. Gov't rules about who can have a handicap permit. Too many handicap permits and people who need them cannot park. Pretty clear criteria for who merits a handicap permit. Opiates no questions asked creates addiction problems. Support dog what's the criteria? Patient says they get anxious without their dog. I'm fairly liberal with sick notes. Probably less than some of my colleagues though. Practice in an underserviced area. Don't have time to see everyone who needs a note. You say you were sick you get the note. Now if you are asking for note every Monday different story.

AlanShearer wrote:
len wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
justgeorge wrote:

In other words, you're not willing to do your job. Do you also prescribe opiates because you don't want to get on someone's bad side.

I get it. It's not much different than the employee who wants an "off work" notice or someone who needs a handicap placard. It's not perfect, but requiring people to go through the hoops is as reasonable as I believe we can expect.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Not to completely derail the topic but not just planes but dogs anywhere.....I don't get why people think its acceptable to bring their dogs into restaurants or other retail stores.

Don't get me wrong, I like dogs but I took my daughter out to ice cream a week ago, saw someone walk with their dog to the door and saw a sign saying no dogs allowed, went back to the car to put the dog in the car and went back into the store. Since when is it acceptable to take your pet into any store you like?

Because they're sometimes necessary as service dogs or emotional support animals. These are people who may otherwise not be able to leave their homes and interact with the public. Sure, there's room for abuse, but that doesn't mean there isn't a legitimate need.

As BCtriguy said, RELAX. Everyone is aware of service dogs and most people are fine with it, as am I. As for room for abuse, I think a lot of people do take advantage. What I am complaining about is the people who think they are Paris Hilton and can tote a little ankle biter around everywhere they go. The people who bring their dog to a grocery store because its scared to be home alone.

Here is a prime example: My in-laws went to a local pizza joint to pick up a pizza. Another customer brought his dog in, a worker brought a bowl of water to the dog. Same bowls that hold the pizza dough. My father in law pointed out that is wrong and the worker shrugged him off. Do you think the food inspector would be fine with that?

As I said before, I tend to like dogs, but when people think everyone else should be accepting of their dog, that is wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The support animal airline scammers are second only to the pre-boarding scam that takes place on every flight. There's legitimate need for both, but the liars and cheats screw it all up for the rest of us.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
justgeorge wrote:

There's no such thing as a "comfort pet." It's a term made up by dicks who aren't willing to understand people's needs.

Very true!

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Dogs on planes [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
On average, who do you think has seen more trauma, vets, or firemen, policemen, paramedics etc. For every vet that's seen some incredibly horrific things there's several more that have never killed another or been on the frontline nursing a bleeding out buddy. What about all the victims of crime like rape etc. Do they not suffer PTSD like a vet who did paperwork stationed in Japan or on peacekeeping duties? That's a broad generalisation you've made there at the expense of a significant number of genuine cases.

Notwithstanding that, air travel survived for how long before all this nonsense. If you're truly disabled then ok. If it's for comfort, sorry. Allergies, noise, stench (accidental messing) should take priority. As others have said, charge a decent fee like 1/4-1/2 of passenger and this should clamp it down to absolute essential.

I assumed that I wouldn't have to discern between front line military and someone who swept the armory floor in Wichita once a month to fulfill their NG duty. Yes there are other exceptions (first responders, etc), but as you stated, once you start charging people for it, we would all be surprised by the amazing number of people who are suddenly cured and no longer need to travel with their comfort poodle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
You're mostly correct with regard to the difference between a service dog and an emotional support animal.

But you're being a complete dick with your statement that if someone can't go somewhere without an emotional support animal, they shouldn't be going out. You're not old school. Your a dick.

I may very well be a dick, but its certainly not because I object to pumping my kid full of Benadryl and keeping an epipen on standby because somebody cant board an airplane or go into a restaurant without their untrained dog. They may exist, but I have never seen a legitimate service animal cause any type of issue, whether it be barking, messing or anything else. Not the case with support animals.

You mentioned abuse of the system. Maybe I tend to look down on my fellow man, but I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers of people abusing the "emotional support" thing weren't upwards of 50-75%. That's part of what pisses me off about the whole thing. There are people who have a legitimate need for it. Mr. Dipshit who needs to have his fashionable trendy designer dog in a satchel at all times or Mrs. Empty Nester who cant cope with her kids not calling as often as she likes ruins it for everyone.

There needs to be a system put in place. People with service animals have a medically cleared reason to have one. I can show up tomorrow at the airport with a turtle and say its my emotional support animal and probably get special boarding because of my 'needs'. That needs to stop. There needs to be a psychiatrically approved reason in order for them to have the same privelages as service animals.
Quote Reply
Re: Dogs on planes [TriHard Indiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
..and also the inconsiderate twats who insist on bringing all their worldly possessions on as hand luggage and stuffing up the overhead storage cabins for everyone else
Quote Reply

Prev Next