Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: overnight oats [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is this basically bircher muesli? that stuff's basically a national institution in switzerland. . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: overnight oats [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
is this basically bircher muesli? that stuff's basically a national institution in switzerland. . .

Because they never figured out how to make fire?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First bowl down...it's good!

My issue is the protein powder kinda threw the consistency off a bit, I think ...was a little chalky and just reminded me too much of the powder to fully enjoy it.

That said, I'm gonna try with some PB tomorrow. I have to get the protein in and the almond milk isn't enough, but I love this recipe.
Quote Reply
Re: overnight oats [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
First bowl down...it's good!

My issue is the protein powder kinda threw the consistency off a bit, I think ...was a little chalky and just reminded me too much of the powder to fully enjoy it.

That said, I'm gonna try with some PB tomorrow. I have to get the protein in and the almond milk isn't enough, but I love this recipe.

i havent tried it with any protein powder but i did pick up some maple almond butter to throw in there. i looooove Justin's almond butters!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wife enjoyed it although she said next time she'll let it warm up a little on the counter before eating it.

We didn't have peaches so she added banana slices this morning.

My peanut butter on toast was amazeballs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
how did it take me so long to try these? im completely addicted to them now. throw in some fruit, cinnamon, maple syrup...quite delicious!

Alright tree hugger, I have started eating your oats. And I actually like it better than hot oatmeal. We do this recipe plus add in a tablespoon of chia seeds. Because the Mayans told us to. Always listen to the Mayans.

Quote Reply
Re: overnight oats [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
veganerd wrote:
how did it take me so long to try these? im completely addicted to them now. throw in some fruit, cinnamon, maple syrup...quite delicious!

Alright tree hugger, I have started eating your oats. And I actually like it better than hot oatmeal. We do this recipe plus add in a tablespoon of chia seeds. Because the Mayans told us to. Always listen to the Mayans.

Back in febuaury i visited some myan ruins. They were smart people. I will accet your admonition.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
BLeP wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Back in febuaury i visited some myan ruins. They were smart people. I will accet your admonition.

Not smart enough apparently...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
veganerd wrote:

I've now been making mine daily for almost two months now and I'm addicted, to the point where I make it at night and am excited for breakfast in the morning. Only deviance is on the weekend when I'll make some eggs or we'll go to a diner, but it's a fantastic, simple breakfast. I've held off on looking at the nutrition breakdown so I can claim ignorance because I don't think it's BAD, but I also don't think it's GOOD.

My version: 2/3C steel cut oats, 2/3C almond milk, 1T almond butter, 1t maple syrup, handful of cranberries, 1/2t cinnamon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No chia seeds? Why do you hate the Mayans?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yu and me both! Its weird how different it is compared to cooked oats. It took me forever to try them because i really only heard of them from my crunchy hippy friends.

Now im sold and I have yet to meet anyone who doesnt like them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
No chia seeds? Why do you hate the Mayans?
Human sacrifice. Always rubbed me the wrong way, like kill the goats and shit, go nuts, but murdering poor little Paco and Kabil? That's a step too far for me, I will not support the glorification of them or their fucking chia seeds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So tried this last couple of nights.... Irish oats, vanilla kefir, dried pineapple, cinnamon and some maple syrup. Wife had a bite now have to make two bowls at night
Quote Reply
Re: overnight oats [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
So tried this last couple of nights.... Irish oats, vanilla kefir, dried pineapple, cinnamon and some maple syrup. Wife had a bite now have to make two bowls at night

I never tried pinapple in it! Sounds interesting

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:

Ever had grilled pineapple? Basically throw it in the grill and dust with cinnamon. That's why I chose it (Also I had dried pineapple that was just sitting there)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some good ideas in this thread. I've been a shredded wheat cereal for breakfast guy for years. I was recently convinced to try overnight oats and this is the recipe that I've settled on.

1 crushed banana
1/2 scoop protein powder (quest peanut butter flavor)
3/4 cup oats
1/2 oz. chopped up raw almonds
1 table spoon chia seeds
~ 1/2 table spoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup Greek plain yogurt
1/2 cup fairlife non-fat milk
~4 cut up strawberries
Handful of blueberries

I'm generally not in the mood for advanced food prep in the morning beyond pouring milk and sugar over my cereal. The overnight oats fit the bill in this regard and taste really good. I am enjoying the change. I'm considering getting a rice cooker that is capable of cooking steel cut oats to try and set up some warm version that could be programmed to be ready when I get up in the morning.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: overnight oats [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:

Ever had grilled pineapple? Basically throw it in the grill and dust with cinnamon. That's why I chose it (Also I had dried pineapple that was just sitting there)

I have!

Quote Reply

Prev Next