Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri - Woodies; New Bench for Saw - Where do I put the saw?
Quote | Reply
Obviously on the bench, but...

I'm going to build a new bench with wheels for the RAS I bought. At first I was going to just center the saw on the bench and call it good. Then it crossed my mind I might be better off with the saw set to the right side so there's better support for work materials on the feed side. Since I'm not likely to do much ripping ad mostly cross cuts this arrangement seems to make sense. Thought fellow wood chippers?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri - Woodies; New Bench for Saw - Where do I put the saw? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you have a large space that can accommodate 16' feet on either end, you'll probably find any set up, at some point, to be a compromise.

In small spaces I usually set the saw to one side for the reason you mentioned. Can always buy a cheap outfeed roller to support the other side if need be.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri - Woodies; New Bench for Saw - Where do I put the saw? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would set the saw in the middle of the bench. I assume you are working with rough lumber and varying lengths. I find myself having to cross-cut a lot of 8'-12' boards in basically half. I suppose if you are working mostly with dimensional lumber this would not be as big of a deal.

What type of bench are you building? Have you looked at Mr. Sawdust's book/plans?

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Center it and get (or build) a couple of collapsible saw horses for either end. That gives you room to work and send out extensions on each side of the saw/table.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Normal practice is to center the table on the column - this means the blade ends up offset to the left by 6" or so.

You're 100% right that this reduces support for material on the left side, but for longer stuff you're going to need a separate support anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Someone else mentioned the Mr. Sawdust book, which is not bad. Another good one is Jon Eakes' book which I think has a better adjustment procedure.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri - Woodies; New Bench for Saw - Where do I put the saw? [Matt_Stimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually have 16 - 20 feet of wall space for the saw. So I might build 2 out feed cabinets that can double as planer work benches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be your best solution.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply