Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Russian Serial Killer
Quote | Reply
This is incredible. Serial Murder was and still deemed a western thing in the old Soviet Union and Russia now. Usually by the time the powers that be figure out they have one, the death toll is astronomically high compared to here. This guy used his role as a cop to hide his murders and even attract victims.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/...a-serial-killer.html

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Serial Killer [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That has to be unreal to interview someone like that. I wonder if his wife who cheated on him is still alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Serial Killer [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read a good book a few years ago called "Child 44." A book based on the crimes of a man responsible for 52 murders in Stalin's Russia.

Looks like another one.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Serial Killer [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I read a good book a few years ago called "Child 44." A book based on the crimes of a man responsible for 52 murders in Stalin's Russia.

Looks like another one.

Just read about Stalin if you want a Russian serial killer.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Serial Killer [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or Castro, if you prefer to read about state leader/serial killers who lived closer to home.

https://www.wsj.com/...SB113590852154334404

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Serial Killer [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Or Castro, if you prefer to read about state leader/serial killers who lived closer to home.

https://www.wsj.com/...SB113590852154334404

Last time I checked, Castro wasn't Russian.

You shouldn't have posted that. Now windywave is going to show up at any moment and high jack the thread.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Mar 31, 17 13:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, Fidel Castro was innocent of being Russian.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Might as well call out Mao, Sung, Pol Pot, etc and all the other communist serial killers. Not to give Castro a pass for the bad things he did, but he was a pretty minor player compared to the other commie dictators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...er_Communist_regimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to give him a pass, though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Looks like another one.

Pretty sure they made a movie out of that - I seem to remember seeing the same title either on Netflix or one of the movie channels we get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Isn't that what I just said. He did bad stuff but I've also posted in the past that he also did do some very good things such as Cuba's high healthcare and education standards (among best in 3rd world), ridding institutionalized racism, environmental initiatives that were ahead of the time, etc, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Serial Killer [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure they made a movie out of that - I seem to remember seeing the same title either on Netflix or one of the movie channels we get.

Thanks for the heads up. I checked and they did make one in 2015. I read it in 2014 so now I'll check it out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Looks like another one.

Chikatilo. Child 44 is loosely based on it. With the detective(Agent Leo Demidov) is not a real person and being sort of an embodiment of several people across multiple novels. I read that book and the movie and some things seemed off from my memory of those crimes that I read years earlier. The more accurate story is Citizen X with Stephen Rae, Max Von Sydow and Donald Sutherland. Interestingly, I tried to watch it again on Amazon a few weeks back. You really have to be in the mood. It was one of HBO's first original movies, so it was like watching something on the bbc.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Definitely don't want to sing the praises of him or financially support him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Isn't that what I just said. He did bad stuff but I've also posted in the past that he also did do some very good things such as Cuba's high healthcare and education standards (among best in 3rd world), ridding institutionalized racism, environmental initiatives that were ahead of the time, etc, etc.

Hey Hitler built the autobahn and trains ran on time too.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Serial Killer [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Looks like another one.

They did... Tom Hardy was the lead actor but I can't remember the name of the movie either.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Serial Killer [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

The autobahn predated Hitler (although he later took over the program).

And it was Mussolini who made the trains run on time, the Germans already knew how to do that.

Not to give either of them a pass ... :)
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Serial Killer [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

You have to admit, those Nazi uniforms were pretty cool looking. Hitler knew a thing or two about fashion.
You have to at least give him that!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Russian Serial Killer [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, but neither Hitler nor Mussolini could mix a rum and coke to save their lives, so screw em.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

And Jerry Sandusky was a hell of a defensive coach.

EVERYTHING HAS BEEN MADE ALRIGHT (pink)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Sure, but neither Hitler nor Mussolini could mix a rum and coke to save their lives, so screw em.

Cuba Libre!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Might as well call out Mao, Sung, Pol Pot, etc and all the other communist serial killers. Not to give Castro a pass for the bad things he did, but he was a pretty minor player compared to the other commie dictators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...er_Communist_regimes

Thats called giving him a pass. And just think, you helped support him!

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

And they certainly didnt have great scuba diving.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Have you ever had someone apologize for doing something, and they say "yeah, I'm sorry about that, BUT..." then continue to justify their actions? That apology seems to ring hollow, right? There is no need to attempt balance out a completely justified criticism with "yeah, but".

I'm sure somewhere, one of Hitler's old buddies was saying "yeah, but he was actually really nice once you got to know him".

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply