Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coffee & espresso nerds, where are you?
Quote | Reply
Not sure what the level of coffee geekery here is, but thought I'd give this sandbox a shot before jumping off the deep end in other forums.

Looking to upgrade my basic setup, as I'm tired of it & have outgrown it. Stuck it out for as long as possible, but I just can't anymore (Saeco Via Venezia & Breville Dose Control).

My primary focus is espresso. I will steam very rarely if the wife is in the mood or guests are over, but shot quality is my primary concern (ie, thinking e61 grouphead).

Being mindful of budget, I am thinking of Rocket Appartmento, Profitec 300, or ECM Classika (leaning ECM as it's e61 & PID for $1.2k).

Would prefer a rotary pump if only for noise, but vibe seems to be what's happening at this price point. Double boiler obviously not necessary, so this works out in my favor price-wise.

Grinder, I'm again focused on espresso, don't need it to run the whole range. Happy to hand grind the small amount I need for pour-over.

Preferring doserless, and it's looking like the Ceado E5P is a good bet.

Anybody care to assist or just talk it out?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee & espresso nerds, where are you? [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't this belong in the "Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get" thread?
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee & espresso nerds, where are you? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably, but I tend to stay away from the LR, so I figured I'd get the getting-yelled-at out of the way right off the bat

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a pour over geek, so my high end espresso machine plans have really been de-prioritized. The Reddit coffee forum is pretty fantastic for info, though. Former world barista champ Matt Perger also has a site that has solid info, baristahustle.com. Sprudge is an industry resource with a boatload of info and may be worth checking out.

If money weren't an object and if I were to prioritize a great espresso machine, I'd jump right on the La Marzocco Linea Mini. Hell, if money weren't an object I'd get one just to have on the counter because it's beautiful.

What are you using for a grinder?

Edit: Just saw that you were also asking about a grinder. The Baratza Sette has been getting good reviews for espresso, not so much for drip & pour over. I've seen some mixed reviews in there also, though. I will say that Baratza's customer service is top notch and parts are readily available for rebuilds & repair. From what I gather, there's not a better espresso grinder new at the price point.
Last edited by: MidwestRoadie: Mar 30, 17 8:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for a grinder i have two of these. when i was single i had one. i like to try different coffees so when i travel if i find something i like i'll get a bag. now that i have a wife she likes keeping her coffee in the hopper all the time, hence the only way to rectify this was to get another grinder. my original one i've had for 8-9 years i'd guess and have zero problems with it.
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/...rocky-coffee-grinder

for the espresso maker we have a la pavoni europicola. it's a little labor intensive and can be finicky, but the 'process' in the morning is part of the enjoyment of the day. for those who don't 'get' this process, get the hell out of this thread.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping for another Minimalist thread before another Coffee thread
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee & espresso nerds, where are you? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Former world barista champ Matt Perger...

Totally off-topic, but what extraordinary times we live in where such a thing can exist!

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee & espresso nerds, where are you? [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is quite amazing, really. Barista world championships, video game championships...true signs of privilege, no doubt.

The barista championships now have an Aeropress specific championship as well. It's weird and not something I follow, but I do pay just enough attention to know it's out there so I can try the pour techniques and recipes from some of them. That's been helpful to boost my coffee knowledge and capabilities exponentially.

burnman wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Former world barista champ Matt Perger...

Totally off-topic, but what extraordinary times we live in where such a thing can exist!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grosso27 wrote:

Being mindful of budget, I am thinking of Rocket Appartmento, Profitec 300, or ECM Classika (leaning ECM as it's e61 & PID for $1.2k).

You have no clue on budget! $1.2k??? Buy a $5 Mr. Coffee at a rummage sale and then go buy a bag of coffee from Aldis for $4 and brew. Done. Tastes just as good as your Appartmento Classika whatever...

If your hardcore, use a paper towel for a filter.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Mar 30, 17 13:26
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee & espresso nerds, where are you? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Heathen!

http://coffeesock.com/

CoffeeSock® filters are made in Austin, Texas. All filters are sewn and packaged by happy human beings making a fair and living wage.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee & espresso nerds, where are you? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:

i now understand your inability to appreciate a finely prepared cup of java. ;-)

hopefully your screen name implies you are more refined in other types of brews.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Last edited by: Madduck: Mar 30, 17 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I guess the word budget has different meanings.

Do you work in the government?

Quote Reply
Re: Coffee & espresso nerds, where are you? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good contribution to the effort.

Looking to upgrade + not wanting to buy a $5k machine = buying the lower end models from higher end brands. Ie, budget.

But yes, budget hasn't a different meaning to all of us, doesn't it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.faema.ca/...sso-maker-s/1833.htm

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to get a nice machine but my stovetop is decent and my son's swim fees are a higher priority.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee & espresso nerds, where are you? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
other than the necessity of a good grinder, i think a french press, moka pot, aeropress and pour over can accomplish anything anyone would ever want. all this can be had for $100-ish +/- id guess. havent priced any of these recently so not sure what they are running.
but one does need a good grinder to grind the beans properly to get the most out of whatever you're using.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not many espresso drinkers here it seems. Coffeesnobs.com.au would be a good place to discuss machines, your budget is nothing out of the ordinary there and there are a lot of existing threads on setups within a certain budget range. I have a Rancilio Silvia with retro fitted PID and a rocky grinder. This is good entry level, low volume setup, and has really taught me a lot about technique. I'm now consistently making good shots, and I'm not in a hurry to upgrade the machine, but if I can find a deal on a doserless grinder with timed dosing, I'll be upgrading that first. I'm sure lots of people will have better educated ideas on the quality of the shot made by certain equipment, but I think that technique and quality of the beans are where most of the quality in the cup comes from, at least in a home machine setup. Provided that machine has good temperature control and stability etc. Looking at your prefered machine and grinder, I don't think you could go wrong there.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee & espresso nerds, where are you? [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:

i now understand your inability to appreciate a finely prepared cup of java. ;-)

hopefully your screen name implies you are more refined in other types of brews.

I worked at a beverage store for eight years while in high school and college. While stocking the import shelf I saw a beer named "Old Speckled Hen: An English Strong Ale", and worked that into my my screen name for everything ever since. Now that I'm older I really don't drink a whole lot, but I'll drink the finer beers. Big fan of kolschs and stouts, never got into the whole IPA rave that is going on now. Still nothing wrong with a bud light or high life every now and then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.home-barista.com/

This a great place to start.

I personally have a La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 machine and a Cimbali Max Hybrid grinder. The Vivaldi is a double boiler machine with rotary pump and I plumbed it in. It has served my well for a long time.

If I was buying a grinder now I would get an HG-1 manual. Great burr set and next to no grind retention.

I keep an Expobar E61 machine at my summer place. Every year I take my Cimbali grinder to use with the Expobar and think it makes pretty good coffee. Then I move back home and I'm reminded how much better the Vivaldi is. If I had to do it all over again I would get another S1.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
other than the necessity of a good grinder, i think a french press, moka pot, aeropress and pour over can accomplish anything anyone would ever want. all this can be had for $100-ish +/- id guess.

I find the comments that people with "refined" taste for coffee are more than willing to spend thousands for espresso amusing. It's the old mentality that you have to spend to have something good. Not surprising on a triathlon board...

I buy a good coffee, have a good burr grinder and use a french press ($40) and make excellent coffee. I've tried lots made from machines costing over $4k and really don't see that much of a difference, at least to even remotely justify the cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're pretty much right. For me it came down to being really happy with good pour over and trying a lot of different, high quality beans with that method, which was ~$175ish total for a great set up (Chemex, Kalita Wave, Baratza Encore grinder with an upgraded cone burr, Aeropress). To get good, solid espresso I just can't see myself making enough espressos and milk drinks at this point to offset the cost of a high end machine; I love cortados & capps, but not often enough to justify the calories and sugar and know I'd feel the need to consume a lot of them to justify a really good espresso machine. The variety of bean varietals with pour over leaves a lot to be satisfied with.

Madduck wrote:
other than the necessity of a good grinder, i think a french press, moka pot, aeropress and pour over can accomplish anything anyone would ever want. all this can be had for $100-ish +/- id guess. havent priced any of these recently so not sure what they are running.
but one does need a good grinder to grind the beans properly to get the most out of whatever you're using.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is our coffee grinder, gifted to us from my wife's grandmother in the Netherlands. I'll take it over an expensive burr grinder any day. Love it!

It has nothing to do with taste, and everything to do with bling factor and people liking "nice things".

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going with its a status thing or people have the money and no idea what else to spend it on. Its a drink you consume only about 12-36oz of a day...

Similar to wine, or I'll even say beers, the difference is so minimal most people cannot taste the difference in a blind taste test.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Mar 31, 17 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee & espresso nerds, where are you? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is our coffee grinder, gifted to us from my wife's grandmother in the Netherlands.

I was born in Holland and both my parents are Dutch but I moved at a very young age. My parents weren't coffee drinkers but that is unusual. If you look at the world's biggest consumers of coffee, the top are always Northern Europe (Finland, Norway, Holland, Denmark). On visits, I would meet relatives and the first thing you are offered is coffee and cakes. Then, you are given a second cup without asking and they only ask if you want a 3rd. Once coffee is done, they pull out the beer.

I've often thought I'm in the wrong country.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That description accurately describes my wife's aunt. Her grandma is dutch Indonesian, so her siblings (wife's mom, aunt and uncle) were all born there and left in their childhood/teens. Made for an interesting mix of grandkids. My wife is a quarter dutch, Indonesian, and half Tasmanian (essentially Scottish roots if you dog back a few generations further). My parents are Italian and Polish. Our kid will be a true mutt.

Whenever we go to her aunt's place it's always delicious coffee and cakes and a good chat. Very welcoming and warm family. Love visiting them, even if it involves a drive to Kamloops.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply