Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dog Injury Question
Quote | Reply
Anyone seen this? Took our dog out yesterday to wear him out chasing a frisbee and ball, everything was fine, came home and about an hour later, he was hobbling around not putting any weight on one of his rear legs. Same thing happened a couple of weeks ago. He hobbled around for a couple of days but then was right back at it. Weird that there is no obvious injury and he comes up lame some time after he's been out running around and he's been out running a number of times between the two incidents with no problem.

I'd think a muscle pull or something that tightened up once he was just lounging around. But he's only a little over a year old, and seems to be in a good bit of pain for a muscle pull. Worried that it's his hip or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog Injury Question [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
take him to the vet and have them look for hip dysplasia - "
  • Intermittent or persistent hind-limb lameness, often worse after exercise"

Hopefully that isn't the issue though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what breed? I bet it is hip dysplasia. It can be confirmed by an x-ray at the vet. Our golden retriever has it, not bad, but she already won't jump up into the bed if she has been out for a walk or run and she is only 2.

Manage the dogs weight and keep them exercised to keep the muscle strong.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Dog Injury Question [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
what breed? I bet it is hip dysplasia. It can be confirmed by an x-ray at the vet. Our golden retriever has it, not bad, but she already won't jump up into the bed if she has been out for a walk or run and she is only 2.

Manage the dogs weight and keep them exercised to keep the muscle strong.

He's a mutt from the pound, they said boxer mix, but he doesn't look much like a boxer at all to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what it is, but a guy I know from our tri club took his dog out running so often that it ended up blowing an achilles. Super nice guy, intellectually brilliant as an engineer, common sense stupid, worst bike handler & pack rider around (stereotypical triathlete). We called him Acid Mike because he always seemed to be on acid...not a surprise he was clueless about overworking his dog. Poor thing was apparently laid up for several weeks healing.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog Injury Question [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I have no idea what it is, but a guy I know from our tri club took his dog out running so often that it ended up blowing an achilles. Super nice guy, intellectually brilliant as an engineer, common sense stupid, worst bike handler & pack rider around (stereotypical triathlete). We called him Acid Mike because he always seemed to be on acid...not a surprise he was clueless about overworking his dog. Poor thing was apparently laid up for several weeks healing.

No he's not being overworked. There are times when he goes out tearing ass through the woods wrestling with his brother on relatively long walks and no problem. Yesterday was pretty innocuous, maybe 15 minutes of chasing a ball. Some days he does nothing at all, some days just a short walk or ball chase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably just tweaked something. My dog will aggravate his hip sometimes running downhill too fast.

Quote | Reply
Could be pano...Panosteitis refers to a short-lived (self-limiting) and painful condition characterized by limping and lameness. It is a condition that affects the long bones in the legs of young dogs, usually between the ages of 5 to 18 months. It can occur with any breed, but it is more common in medium- to large-sized dog breeds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a lab who at age 2 blew out both hind legs and needed surgery. We ended up having one knee repaired to the tune of ~3K. I'd have it checked sooner then later, IMHO

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be that the skin inside the foot pads/paws. After long days on the beach, my dog's paws would be very irritated/raw. He'll not show signs until afterwards, limping like a injured leg. I've had to shorten our times on the beach and keep an eye on this.

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not licking at the affected paw? Prickles or bee stings have been known to have our dogs exhibit similar traits. They show a lot of irritation and gnaw at their pads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our dog had similar symptoms from patellar luxation which is basically when the knee cap pops out of place because the groove in the femur isn't deep enough. He needed surgery to correct it, but my understanding is that it primarily affects smaller breeds (he's a Boston Terrier).

He also has lyme disease and one of the symptoms when it's left untreated is lameness in a limb that can pop up out of nowhere. We went several rounds with our vet telling us it was a strained muscle before a new vet suggested we test him for lyme. Maybe worth checking into this if you have ticks in your area.

Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope its not an anterior cruciate ligament like my dog. That was a $3000. fix.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog Injury Question [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

Luckily they seem to do just fine on 3 legs :) We dropped about a grand on our last dog after he ate a cupcake and it's reusable cupcake baking thingy. Never came out the other end so had to be surgically removed.

Taking him to the vet tomorrow. Hopefully they'll at least be able to rule out the expensive things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

Luckily they seem to do just fine on 3 legs :) We dropped about a grand on our last dog after he ate a cupcake and it's reusable cupcake baking thingy. Never came out the other end so had to be surgically removed.

Taking him to the vet tomorrow. Hopefully they'll at least be able to rule out the expensive things.

My dog cost around 4 grand to have a leg removed.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it persists for 24 hours, see a vet- more than a general station. I had a bullk terrier do this, strained tendons in the knee, just some cortisone and rest. But you want to make sure.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How's the pup?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Dog Injury Question [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
How's the pup?

Vet did some manual tests on the dog's joints. Didn't think it was hip dysplasia or anything else serious. Probably just a pulled muscle. Since the last time, he's only limped ever so slightly once after a hike.

If it happens again, vet said they could take x-rays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear the pups doing well.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply