Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The forgotten war
Quote | Reply
There was an article in the NY Times reminding me of that war that has long since disappeared from the news media. I followed the election campaign and don't recall a lot of talk Afghanistan and since have heard even less.

In 2016, 5,000+ Afghan soldiers were killed and the Taliban has more territory now than they did when the U.S first invaded, back in 2001. The U.S lost about 3,500 (military and civilian contractors) in the war, spent about $1 trillion in war costs, $120B in reconstruction and $65B in training the Afghans, and the war keeps going.

Pretty depressing to read that hard fought territory where U.S soldiers died is now being lost to the Taliban and the country is essentially a failed State. Afghanistan (and Somalia) are Exhibits A and B as to why there are some places you should just leave alone.

https://www.nytimes.com/...and-sangin.html?_r=0
Quote Reply
Re: The forgotten war [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
War has always been he biggest scam on earth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought Obama won that war.

What happened?

Oh, btw, we went there for opium.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: The forgotten war [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did we get any?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: The forgotten war [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Did we get any?

Oh hell yes...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
          https://www.nytimes.com/...es-changes.html?_r=0

I there any evidence that opium is making its way into big pharma. I dug up an article about opium production in Tasmania. Who knew? 74,000 acres of poppy fields in Tasmania. Turns out the weather has been colder than normal in the last few years though and production has not been as good. Tasmania is on my bucket list of places to visit. Not for opium though lol

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

I there any evidence that opium is making its way into big pharma. I dug up an article about opium production in Tasmania. Who knew? 74,000 acres of poppy fields in Tasmania. Turns out the weather has been colder than normal in the last few years though and production has not been as good. Tasmania is on my bucket list of places to visit. Not for opium though lol

Opium is made into both legal and illegal drug and I believe Afghanistan is world's largest supplier.

Their opium accounts for 80-90% of worldwide heroin. We helped them directly in increasing the production.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

He did but only after Bush stood under the Mission Accomplished sign about 5 years earlier...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

He did but only after Bush stood under the Mission Accomplished sign about 5 years earlier...

That was Iraq.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

I knew :). Spent a little time in Tasmania back in 2000 (did some great scuba diving and walked the Overland Track; recommend a visit if you're already so inclined). Bus ride across the island went through a whole lot of fields of the stuff. Wandered toward one of the fields to take a look during one of the bus' scheduled stops and very quickly was approached by a couple of polite but very serious ex-military looking dudes wanting to know why I was so interested in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That was Iraq.

No one knew winning the war on terror was so complicated...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're supposed to leave the country you go to war with a failed state. That's the point.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the corrupt puppet ruler Karzai's brother was an opium kingpin. I recall posting a video of a general interviewed by Geraldo talking about how we didn't only turn a blind eye, but actually facilitated the production by providing agriculture know how, fertilizer and even protection of poppy fields. Great shit man. Team America, fuck yeah.

http://www.nytimes.com/...ld/asia/21marja.html

I don't normally post suspect blogs, but it's links check out with major sources and they have the video.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/...gahnistan-opium.html

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dug up an article about opium production in Tasmania. Who knew? 74,000 acres of poppy fields in Tasmania.
---

This probably explains why crazy, oversized rodents in that country spin around in circles eating everything that's in their paths. Devilish.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The forgotten war [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The forgotten war [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're supposed to leave the country you go to war with a failed state. That's the point.

A failed state means there is no functioning government. The U.S went into Afghanistan because the Taliban was protecting bin Laden. The point of the war was to punish and prevent them from taking over the country.

The result of 15+ years of fighting is that the Taliban are stronger than ever and there is no functioning government so if that was the point of the exercise, it is an overwhelming victory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
len wrote:

Is there any evidence that opium is making its way into Big Pharma. I dug up an article about opium production in Tasmania. Who knew? 74,000 acres of poppy fields in Tasmania. Turns out the weather has been colder than normal in the last few years though and production has not been as good. Tasmania is on my bucket list of places to visit. Not for opium though lol

Opium is made into both legal and illegal drug and I believe Afghanistan is world's largest supplier.

Their opium accounts for 80-90% of worldwide heroin. We helped them directly in increasing the production.

Big Pharma may or may not be buying Afghan junk, since I'm pretty sure they could synthesize it, but they certainly are making money on drugs for Opioid Induced Constipation [OIC] ... which is what killed Elvis [allegedly]

https://www.drugs.com/movantik.html
https://www.drugs.com/relistor.html

Quote Reply
Re: The forgotten war [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear radio ads for that shit.

You it's bad when...

But look, here's the deal...

Before we went into Afghanistan there really wasn't a whole lot of people hooked on opioids (legal or illegal). Fast forward to now and we have a huge increase in addiction and death from opioids that corresponds nicely with the increased Afghan opium production that we helped facilitate.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

That was Iraq.

No one knew winning the war on terror was so complicated...

Yea. Some of us did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So after the British Empire and the Soviet Union failed the US failed as well. Who would have guessed??

Quote Reply
Re: The forgotten war [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
russ wrote:
So after the British Empire and the Soviet Union failed the US failed as well. Who would have guessed??

We (USA) are going to start winning again!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The forgotten war [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
russ wrote:

We (USA) are going to start winning again!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFLw26BjDZs

Quote Reply
Re: The forgotten war [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
War has always been he biggest scam on earth

The original idea of going into Afghanistan was sold as retaliation against the Taliban for hiding bin Laden and refusing to hand him over to the U.S. That was not true. The Taliban said they would hand him over if the U.S could provide proof that bin Laden was the mastermind, and at that time, there was no proof. The U.S attacked and shortly after that, the Taliban offered to release bin Laden to a 3rd country in exchange for the bombing to stop. That's according to an article in the Guardian in 2001.

Now, 16 years later, nothing has been accomplished. Bin Laden's capture didn't even occur in Afghanistan, terrorist attacks are up, well over a trillion has been spent on weapns (there's the real reason for the war), about 3,800 U.S citizens killed, countless Afghans killed, etc., etc.

The thing I find odd however, is how much publicity and flag waving occurs when that war and all wars, start. The country is unified with a large majority in support, politicians stumble over themselves and promise to do give the soldiers everything they need and to offer the best care when they return. No expense is spared and the government opens up the bank. Slowly, all that fades away and now it is barely mentioned. Meanwhile, there are lots of families trying to understand the point of the war and have to justify losing their son/brother/uncle/father in a war that no one cares about, including their own government. It was almost never mentioned in the election and I can't recall a single thing Trump said in how he would handle it going forward. It's almost as if both parties have agreed not to talk about it.

It's bizarre to say the least.

Quote Reply