Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The London Bears!
Quote | Reply
No thread on this yet? Man, you guys are slipping!

I kid! I kid! We enjoy kicking their asses too much to let them move! But, if Vegas got one, how long will it be before the Jags move to London?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: The London Bears! [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats the current longest flight difference between two teams?
Quote Reply
Re: The London Bears! [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

I believe it is Miami to Seattle. 6 hours 45 minutes in the air.

Edit to add: Confirmed. http://weekendblitz.com/...domestic-us-flights/

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Mar 29, 17 7:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

You KNOW I read that in an English accent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liIlW-ovx0Y

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Mar 29, 17 8:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, if it's commercial it would be JAX to Seattle. No direct flights between the 2 cities.

https://www.google.com/...ksonville+to+seattle
Quote Reply
Re: The London Bears! [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure those guys are not flying commercial.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: The London Bears! [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The majority of players the majority of the time that is correct. but a good number of times their schedules don't align with the team's and they fly commercial, albeit usually first class.
Quote Reply
Re: The London Bears! [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is awesome..........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So east coast is ok. Chicago is 8.45 but then it gets long. Would be a real drag doing that, what? Every 2-3 weeks depending on home / away. Do they play one home one away alternating or runs of games at home / away
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
So east coast is ok. Chicago is 8.45 but then it gets long. Would be a real drag doing that, what? Every 2-3 weeks depending on home / away. Do they play one home one away alternating or runs of games at home / away

The schedule is all over the board. They try to balance home and away, but it is not uncommon to have 3 home or 3 away games in a row. Very common to have 2 home or 2 away games in a row.

I think the greater hardship would be on the coaches/players/trainers/etc. who would have to move overseas.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition, the time difference would be a killer. You hear about it being difficult for east coast teams to go to the west coast and vice versa and that is only 3 hours. This would create all sorts of issues for the players, not to mention the t.v. broadcasts.

This past year, when they played a game in London, the game was on at 9:30 a.m. eastern time in the U.S. That was 8:30 here in Wisconsin and 6:30 a.m. on the West Coast.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would guess the best thing would be to have them do 3 in a row in the us with a home base somewhere and that basically the team is only "in the uk" for their season

The travel can be pretty well managed, especially if going charter or first.

I do not see players setting up homes in the UK for whats - in UK terms - a fairly short sport season (fall / winter) when football starts in august and runs till may

I'm also not sure there is the market for it week in and week out but who knows

Its not as if we're short of winter aports; football, league, union that it would have to compete with
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past 10 years, every NFL game in London has sold out (but 1), but the NFL has lost money due to the production costs. If they had a permanent team in London, they would likely set up production items in place to reduce these costs. But, from the NFL's standpoint, the interest is there.

https://www.bloomberg.com/...and-still-lose-money

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If something like this were to happen, could they call themselves the National Football League anymore? Some suggestions:

International Football League

World Football League

Worldwide Total Football

Football Transatlantique Worldwide (might as well make it sound French like the FIA/FIM)

IDACIFETWUOHMOTTL (International Dumb Americans Call It Football Even Though We Use Our Hands Most Of The Time League)?

That last acronym is pretty easy to remember...

More seriously - they have one or two games per year out of the country (England and Mexico). Is American football selling out in these venues because of the novelty, or because there is an actual fan base? Like the Indy 500 or Kentucky Derby, how many of those fans are true fans following the sport, versus those there just for the spectacle? I imagine it's kind of a mix of both, with the percentages being different in Mexico than England. Could England sustain the crowds for 8 home games per year?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not doubt that they can sell out once. I wonder if they can sell out week in week out competing against the core winter sports (i've no idea as i do not like any of the sports as heretical as that is)

I wonder which aspects of the production they lose on? Media streams - having tv production on the ground. I would guess if they were there permanently they would sub the media aspecta out to firms locally to provide hardware, camera, personnel etc
Quote Reply
Re: The London Bears! [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO - the novelty. Not certain whether they could sell out 8 games per year. Maybe. See Andrewmc's comments. He would have a better idea.

Quote Reply
Re: The London Bears! [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
If something like this were to happen, could they call themselves the National Football League anymore?

You do realize that both the NHL and NBA have non-American franchises. The word National is a moniker with limited meaning.
In the NHL's case - The "original" 6 NHL teams were 4 American and 2 Canadian - the league itself was organized on November 26, 1917, in Montreal, Quebec after the suspension of operations of its predecessor organization, the National Hockey Association (NHA), which had been founded in 1909 in Renfrew, Ontario.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: The London Bears! [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know. I was just having fun with it, hence suggestions of WTF and FTW.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Last edited by: Travis R: Mar 29, 17 9:58
Quote Reply