Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So two of my friends went viral today
Quote | Reply
Two of my training buddies helped a girl up and then to the finish line at the Philly Love Run half yesterday (one of them carried her right up to the finish line then let her cross under her own power). It's been pretty cool seeing how many views/shares etc the video of it have gotten - I think 11m views on the original Fox station's video of it - and it even made its way to the UK. They appeared on a local TV show this morning which was kind of funny to see.

http://www.phillymag.com/be-well-philly/2017/03/27/runners-carry-runner-love-run/
Quote Reply
Re: So two of my friends went viral today [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw this earlier today. That was really cool of them, especially since it appeared to be something that just came naturally and without any hesitation.

Did they figure out what happened to her to cause her legs to turn to jello? I wouldn't think the distance would at a 1/2 marathon, but I guess everybody's bodies react differently under stress.

WelshinPhilly wrote:
Two of my training buddies helped a girl up and then to the finish line at the Philly Love Run half yesterday (one of them carried her right up to the finish line then let her cross under her own power). It's been pretty cool seeing how many views/shares etc the video of it have gotten - I think 11m views on the original Fox station's video of it - and it even made its way to the UK. They appeared on a local TV show this morning which was kind of funny to see.

http://www.phillymag.com/be-well-philly/2017/03/27/runners-carry-runner-love-run/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this on the local news (Boston) this morning. That was very cool of them. They deserve whatever good publicity they get.
Quote Reply
Re: So two of my friends went viral today [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds Iike you haven't been to a serious 5k or even a HS 3200 track race.

Could be many reasons why, but it happens all of the time in much shorter races than a 1/2.

Good on these guys for helping a fellow competitor in need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Philly as well and I saw that, too.

It's interesting my immediate reaction was negative. In that same position, I'd rather crawl across the line 2 hours later than have somebody carry me and card 13.05 miles. Hell, I ran across the finish in my only IM and I'm still pissed the Garmin measured 25.8 miles on the run and 110.9 miles on the bike.

Good for her and good on those for helping. For me, if I'm breathing, keep your hands off and let me work all the way to the line!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:

Awesome! Nice to see such great sportsmanship and the will to help others in their time of need. Now the cynical side of me asks which dickhead on the main forum is going to point out that she accepted outside assistance and doesn't deserve her participation medal?
Quote Reply
Re: So two of my friends went viral today [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Awesome! Nice to see such great sportsmanship and the will to help others in their time of need. Now the cynical side of me asks which dickhead on the main forum is going to point out that she accepted outside assistance and doesn't deserve her participation medal?[/quote]

What's the main forum?
Quote Reply
Re: So two of my friends went viral today [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Did they figure out what happened to her to cause her legs to turn to jello? I wouldn't think the distance would at a 1/2 marathon, but I guess everybody's bodies react differently under stress.

No idea.. they handed her off to medical after they crossed the line, didn't get a name or anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eventually, someone is going to get seriously injured being dragged about in the interest of "good sportsmanship." I'm glad this wasn't that time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:

Awesome! Nice to see such great sportsmanship and the will to help others in their time of need. Now the cynical side of me asks which dickhead on the main forum is going to point out that she accepted outside assistance and doesn't deserve her participation medal?

DAMN! I was about to post that she should be DQ'd for outside assistance!

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now the cynical side of me asks which dickhead on the main forum is going to point out that she accepted outside assistance and doesn't deserve her participation medal?
---

I'm the douche that thinks that one of the sumaritans should be dq'd for wearing earphones.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: So two of my friends went viral today [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Now the cynical side of me asks which dickhead on the main forum is going to point out that she accepted outside assistance and doesn't deserve her participation medal?
---

I'm the douche that thinks that one of the sumaritans should be dq'd for wearing earphones.

I noticed that too.. apparently it's not enforced by the race organisers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re headphones... I thought running races have straight up given up on that being a disallowed item.

Nice for Philly to get positive coverage. Have the news spots been able to cover this w/o also mentioning the booing of santa?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: So two of my friends went viral today [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Nice for Philly to get positive coverage. Have the news spots been able to cover this w/o also mentioning the booing of santa?

Yes because they are starting to get over shit that happened in 1968

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: So two of my friends went viral today [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Re headphones... I thought running races have straight up given up on that being a disallowed item.

Haha - no references to Santa-booing (wasn't it pelting him with snowballs?) or battery-throwing in any of the coverage I've seen.

Both the guys got lifetime free entries to the Love Run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome! Tell them Coach Barry wants to know why they had so much energy left at the end of the race! (though old man Barry understands and does the same these days).

Seriously, though, that's pretty cool.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply