Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Qualified Presidents [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I vote Duffy as most qualified to know what not to do based on experience.

Duffy wrote:
First time I got drunk - 12 (too young (my son's age))

Started smoking weed at 13 (too young)

Lost my virginity at 13 (too young)

Started smoking cigarettes at 13 (he should never do that)

In high school...

Fucked a dozen or so girls, smoked weed almost everyday, got drunk as often as possible (easier to get weed than booze back then), took lots of acid, shrooms, cocaine and ecstasy, drove recklessly (often while drunk, high, tripping, norbing or any combination of those), road motorcycles at insanely high speeds in shorts, flip flops and no shirt no helmet, stole money from a crack dealer (he was a really bad dude that ended up in prison for rape), plus a bunch of specific instances of extremely risky behavior that I'm incredibly lucky to have survived relatively unharmed.

Oh and I tried to kill my mom...but that's a whole nother story.

len wrote:
What sort of things did you do that you would not want your son to do?

Duffy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:
I'd rather be governed by my son's sixth grade class than current group we've had for the last 20 years.

Well your current president acts like a sixth grader so there's that.

If the kids in my son's class acted like Trump they'd get kicked out of school.

In fact, one girl was recently suspended for inappropriate tweets.

It's hard to fathom what it would be like to be in grade school these days. I'm 33 so not even that old but things like elementary school kids having twitter accounts just seems bizarre to me.

As a parent it's great. I don't twitter but I do follow all my son's friends' Instagrams and I read all my son's text threads.

It really helps me see what's going on. It also alerts me to things that o need to discuss with my son.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Mar 22, 17 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified Presidents [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "funny" part is that people who know me and knew me back then will say, "yeah but we all turned out ok", to which I always reply, "no, we didn't turn out ok at all."

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified Presidents [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Can we do that with Trump? :)

I watched the part of the Hearings on Monday when they were reading aloud the Tweets of of the President clearly, as he was watching the proceedings live himself and live-tweeting, and it seemed they were all trying very hard to hold back laughter!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified Presidents [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Can we do that with Trump? :)

Well, I don't know what she wrote and she was only suspended for two days.

Maybe Trump just needs a timeout.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified Presidents [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would also elevate Truman to qualified. He had a distinguished military career. He had long experience as an administrator starting as a judge than a variety of administrative jobs which involved a large expansion of roads and other public works in Missouri. During that time he managed to be unsullied by the Pendergrast machine. Then he was senator for ten years. During that time he led an important committee which reduced waste and inefficiency in US wartime contracts. Because of this he was well aquainted with military spending and operations at the time he became president. If I had to knock anyone down I might be Bush 2. The only political position he held was governor in a state which is habitually republican. His military career wasn't much. Academically he had good degrees but then again so did Obama. He probably benefited to a great degree from his fathers presidency. What impressed me most reading about Eisenhower, Truman, and Nixon (not interested in LBJ) was how well prepared they were compared to the last three guys.

windywave wrote:
Someone suggested that this be excised and made into its own topic.

I deem only two past Presidents in the last 100 years as truly qualified: Eisenhower and George HW Bush.
I deem the following as qualified: FDR, Carter, Reagan, Clinton, George W Bush, Wilson, Coolidge
Barely Qualified: Nixon, Truman, LBJ, Ford, Harding,
Unqualified: Kennedy Obama Trump Hoover

I feel I am consistent in my rationale for the rankings without being retrospective about HOW good a president they were. I evaluated their previous roles, tenure, and experience. I did this from memory, but I think I got it right.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aside from Bill Clements before Bush who served two nonconsecutive terms there was a run of Democrats in the Texas governors mansion dating back to the late 1800s. Same with state level reps in Austin. Likewise most major cities were historically led by Democrat mayors. Since the mid to late 90s yes Texas has been solidly Republican, though still withe the exception of mayors, but in GWB's time it was far from habitually Republican.
Quote Reply
Re: Qualified Presidents [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should learn not to mess with Texas history

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I would also elevate Truman to qualified. He had a distinguished military career. He had long experience as an administrator starting as a judge than a variety of administrative jobs which involved a large expansion of roads and other public works in Missouri. During that time he managed to be unsullied by the Pendergrast machine. Then he was senator for ten years. During that time he led an important committee which reduced waste and inefficiency in US wartime contracts. Because of this he was well aquainted with military spending and operations at the time he became president. If I had to knock anyone down I might be Bush 2. The only political position he held was governor in a state which is habitually republican. His military career wasn't much. Academically he had good degrees but then again so did Obama. He probably benefited to a great degree from his fathers presidency. What impressed me most reading about Eisenhower, Truman, and Nixon (not interested in LBJ) was how well prepared they were compared to the last three guys.

windywave wrote:
Someone suggested that this be excised and made into its own topic.

I deem only two past Presidents in the last 100 years as truly qualified: Eisenhower and George HW Bush.
I deem the following as qualified: FDR, Carter, Reagan, Clinton, George W Bush, Wilson, Coolidge
Barely Qualified: Nixon, Truman, LBJ, Ford, Harding,
Unqualified: Kennedy Obama Trump Hoover

I feel I am consistent in my rationale for the rankings without being retrospective about HOW good a president they were. I evaluated their previous roles, tenure, and experience. I did this from memory, but I think I got it right.

Qualified was reserved solely for governors. You make a strong argument that Truman could rise to truly qualified, but since his experience was Missouri/local I don't think I would move him up to that position so by default I'd keep him where he is. I will grant that GWB is probably the lowest ranked of the "qualified" tier, but for consistency's sake I put and shall keep him there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next