Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Use of a HSA? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
I have been doing this for ~10 years now. I max out my HSA contribution and then move the money from the HSA bank over to a brokerage firm where I can invest the money. I haven't taken any of the money out. Meanwhile, I have also been keeping track of my yearly medical, dental, and vision expenses. When it comes time, and I finally want to take that money out, I'm going to have proof of medical expenditure for all of it.

I haven't checked my plan -- of taking most of the money tax free with documented medical expenses over the years -- with a lawyer, but it sounds like it's in the spirit of the law.

I don't believe you can pay for expenses in later years except for this (IRS NOTICE 2004-50):

An account beneficiary may defer to later taxable years distributions from HSAs to pay or reimburse qualified medical expenses incurred in the current year as long as the expenses were incurred after the HSA was established. Similarly, a distribution from an HSA in the current year can be used to pay or reimburse expenses incurred in any prior year as long as the expenses were incurred after the HSA was established. Thus, there is no time limit on when the distribution must occur.
Quote Reply
Re: Use of a HSA? [orchidrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I just make an aside that it's BONKERS how complicated our tax code is.

I have an HSA too, I'm putting the max in this year now that I have the money to do so, and I think it's a great investment because you're paying in pre-tax, you're not taxed on the earnings (I don't believe) and paying out qualified expenses pre-tax as well...I'd argue it's the single best investment option there is, aside from getting company match on 401K.

BUT - just this little window of the tax code, how the HSA works, is insanely complicated. Why? What the fuck is the point of making everything so impossible to understand?
Quote Reply
Re: Use of a HSA? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What brokerage firm allows you to invest an HSA? How are you getting the money from your bank HSA to the brokerage account HSA?
Quote Reply
Re: Use of a HSA? [orchidrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't believe you can pay for expenses in later years except for this (IRS NOTICE 2004-50):

An account beneficiary may defer to later taxable years distributions from HSAs to pay or reimburse qualified medical expenses incurred in the current year as long as the expenses were incurred after the HSA was established. Similarly, a distribution from an HSA in the current year can be used to pay or reimburse expenses incurred in any prior year as long as the expenses were incurred after the HSA was established. Thus, there is no time limit on when the distribution must occur.
Exactly. This is me. The HSA has been established for 10 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Use of a HSA? [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walnutcreek tri wrote:
What brokerage firm allows you to invest an HSA? How are you getting the money from your bank HSA to the brokerage account HSA?
Ameritrade. I set up the account at Ameritrade and now I send $$$ back and forth from that account to and from my HSA account -- all online. It's easy. The HSA account is in HSA Bank.
Quote Reply

Prev Next