Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2017 March Madness [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As much as people want to bitch about the officiating, I think overall it's been solid. In that regard, I can't comment about the games I've seen live, as I'm in no better position than the officials to make a call. And when the replay has been shown on the big screen, it's consistently backed up the officials. When I've watched on TV, the officials generally get the tough calls right, even when they're extremely difficult to call.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 March Madness [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
As much as people want to bitch about the officiating, I think overall it's been solid. In that regard, I can't comment about the games I've seen live, as I'm in no better position than the officials to make a call. And when the replay has been shown on the big screen, it's consistently backed up the officials. When I've watched on TV, the officials generally get the tough calls right, even when they're extremely difficult to call.

I do high school state playoff games and it's pretty intense but I can't imagine being on that stage and making the correct calls the vast majority of time. Talk about pressure, knowing that every single call you make will be reviewed a couple million times and judged by a bunch of people who have no idea what or why something is called.

Many of those guys are pretty humble and easy to talk to but there are a few that are straight up assholes. There is one thing about high school and college officials, probably even the pro people, it's not about the money but the love of the game. You have to love the game to deal with the people in these arenas.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 March Madness [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

Yeah, but you're a stupid drunk, so, your opinion doesn't mean much.

The officiating has been spotty, at best. It is either great or ridiculously terrible.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 March Madness [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, we both got our ass beat, although UVA, was REALLY awful.

It's March Sadness for me now. Nova shot like shit (yet again... in the second round, we go home). The high of last year, followed by a second round ungluing to Bucky (congrats JSA) Duke puked and they were my pick to get crushed by Kansas in the final.

I think Kansas looked amazing and are the team to beat.

And Jay Wright is still a better dresser! And Josh Hart has a shot at POY, which is nice...
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 March Madness [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
Dude, we both got our ass beat, although UVA, was REALLY awful.

It's March Sadness for me now. Nova shot like shit (yet again... in the second round, we go home). The high of last year, followed by a second round ungluing to Bucky (congrats JSA) Duke puked and they were my pick to get crushed by Kansas in the final.

I think Kansas looked amazing and are the team to beat.

And Jay Wright is still a better dresser! And Josh Hart has a shot at POY, which is nice...

At least you have last year's national championship to fall back on.

Jay Wright is the better dresser, but Tony Bennett is better looking.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 March Madness [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

I do high school state playoff games and it's pretty intense but I can't imagine being on that stage and making the correct calls the vast majority of time. Talk about pressure, knowing that every single call you make will be reviewed a couple million times and judged by a bunch of people who have no idea what or why something is called.

Many of those guys are pretty humble and easy to talk to but there are a few that are straight up assholes. There is one thing about high school and college officials, probably even the pro people, it's not about the money but the love of the game. You have to love the game to deal with the people in these arenas.

I realize refereeing is a lot harder than it looks, but here is the one big issue I see all the time in college basketball: offensive players initiating contact and getting the call. I hate this. Maybe its because I root for a team that really emphasizes defense (UVA), but I notice constantly.

You mostly see this on drives to the basket. If a defender has position, doesn't reach, remains straight up (even if the defender jumps), then I don't care how much contact there is, the defender should not get called for a foul. Yet you see teams exploit this all the time. Their whole strategy on offense it to drive the lane, initiate contact with a defender and then go the free throw line. Drives me insane.

And don't even get me started on teams that consistently "snap" their head back when driving the lane or, even worse, kick out their legs into defenders on 3-pt attempts and get the call from refs who take the bait. I'm looking at you Dook.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply

Prev Next