Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best vacation you've ever taken? [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's fair enough. I guess when you live on a west coast island, going to an even smaller island can feel constricting rather then relaxing.

Recently I took the harbour float plane from Victoria to vancouver, which does a low flyover of many of the San Juan and gulf islands. Some amazing spots out there for sure.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Best vacation you've ever taken? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes we take our home area for granted. I've been guilty of it. I spent some time in New England cycling last fall, and hooked up with some local groups. I was astonished at the beauty, yet some of the local people had lost perspective as to what they had just out their driveway. The Gulf Islands (Canadian San Juans) are breathtaking even if you do have to wear wool 9 months out of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: Best vacation you've ever taken? [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last summer.

Took the family to Europe, started in Germany and ended in Italy, 18 days, only 3 in Germany and 2 in Switzerland, bulk of time in Italy, Florence, Venice and Rome. Planned the whole trip myself using Airbnb for places to stay. It was a ton better than staying in hotels. Drove from Munich, Germany to Lugano, Switzerland and then trains the rest of way.

My son proposed to his finance in St. Mark's Square in Venice, ate better than I probably ever have. Beautiful scenery and just great family time.

I would love to take about 2 weeks and just drive through Germany.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Best vacation you've ever taken? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
TropicPlace wrote:
spot wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:
Taking the family to Normandy, France, this June...we'll see which one comes out on top!

This is on my bucket list to do sometime. I'm a big WW2 history buff and would like to see the beaches and some of the little villages like Ste Mere Iglese and Carentan, also to visit the cemeteries.

We're staying in Bayeux, so really close to all of the D-Day action, plus the Bayeux tapestry and other medieval history sites. Plan is to see Omaha beach, the American cemetery, St Mere Eglise, the museum at Caen, Mont St Michel, and maybe a castle or two in the area.

Wow, this looks like the list of what what my family did 5 years ago (May 2012). Try to get to Pointe Du Hoc as well. My grandpa landed on Omaha on D-Day, and my dad, brother, & I were able to visit it together. It is incredible to see it first hand. You will love it.

Yeah, Pointe Du Hoc is also on the agenda. My goal is to be on Omaha beach at low tide at 0700. Hopefully that works out.

+5. My first time through here was via a small guided tour but next time I'd probably rent a car so that I can 'linger' at some of these battlefields a little longer.

And if it hasn't been mentioned already, Cuba and the ladies in white will welcome you with open arms. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- We spent two weeks hiking around Reunion Island in 2013. It was really spectacular.

- Bergen, Norway

- Drake Bay, Cost Rica

- Germany has a lot to offer, but I am biased because I live in Berlin
Quote Reply
Re: Best vacation you've ever taken? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Tokyo and Japan. Only able to go fo 6 days. Was amazing. Would go back in a heartbeat

Dubrovnik croatia. Think game of thrones walk of shame. The coastline is awesome.

India by train

Ahhh, that's my dream to do the India thing - I love reading Paul Theroux

To the OP: Hawaii, twice. Once to Kuaui and once to the big island. Both were amazing. Going to Maui in four weeks. Can't wait!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kauai - Incredible hiking, beaches, waterfalls, snorkeling, kayaking, etc. Way more laid back than the other HI island I've been to (Oahu, Maui) although Maui is a close second. Can't go wrong on HI unless you stay in Honolulu.

I'm also a history geek, and did 9 countries in 19 days in Europe. It was awesome as well, but for different reasons.
Quote Reply

Prev Next