Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

World Formula One champ John Surtees passes.
Quote | Reply
He won the world Formula One championship for Ferrari in 1964. Before that he won four world motorcycle championships. He is the only racer in history to win world championships of both two and four wheels. I had the wonderful pleasure of meeting John about 25 yrs ago when he was in Toronto as a guest at an auto promotion. At the time I had a gig as a part time automotive journalist and used to write about vintage cars/racing so I got to hang out with him and have a couple of pints with John and just one other journalist. He had a lot of amazing stories about the Ferrari organization at the time. Enzo hired him for around $6000 a year plus a % of race prize, but as he was a trained mechanic, he was also expected to work in the shop during the week. He was a very modest man, down to earth with a classic British sense of humor. He had a British working class upbringing and never lost sight of his background despite his success. Compare that to the spoiled brat multi millionaire F1 drivers of today.

Everybody has heard of Ferrari, but a lot of the people in the Ferrari story are nearly forgotten. RIP John.

https://www.theguardian.com/...ees-formula-one-dies
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Mar 10, 17 19:01
Quote Reply
Re: World Formula One champ John Surtees passes. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Compare that to the spoiled brat multi millionaire F1 drivers of today.
Stand by for "Get off my grass!" But there were some great drivers (not just in F1) in the 1960's. Along with Surtees, include Hill, Clark, Foyt, and Andretti (and several others at nearly the same level). Racing and winning in formats as different as F1, Indy, Daytona, and Le Mans. Nobody does that anymore, probably for good reasons, but those guys sure knew how to race.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: World Formula One champ John Surtees passes. [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you seen Ron Howard's "Rush" depicting the Lauda/Hunt rivalry? That was an exciting time for F1. IMHO, the most exciting racer I ever watched was Gilles Villeneuve racing for Ferrari. He didn't win the most GP's and never won a world championship but he did try to win every single lap. True, that was not productive, but was exciting to watch. Formula One nowadays is a yawner. I can take the "get of my lawn" crap because the kids weren't there to witness the way it was, so let them scream at me all they want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen the movie. I will (someday).

Growing up in 'Merica during the 60's, I really only paid attention to F-1 when someone like Clark or Hill would show up and win at Indy or the efforts of Dan Gurney and the Anglo-American Racers team. (Phil Hill was before my time.) But when I lived in Europe during the 80's-early 90's, I followed F-1 pretty closely. The BBC would show tape delayed highlights the evening of every race, and in the days before internet that was pretty cool (along with them using Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" as the lead-in music). Piquet, Lauda, Prost (especially when he drove for Renault and you had to wonder if the car would finish the race), and Senna put on some great shows. Even Nigel Mansell was fun, and I was rooting for him when I got back to the US and he raced at Indy in 1993. (I can still see him kissing the wall with his right side tires towards the end of that race.)

Sigh, those were the days.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mansell was also working class. He is / was a mechanix and voluntary policeman

Money still has not arrived for many of the current grid. They have to buy their seats to support the team

Even in WRC sebastian loeb is a trademan by profession - still pretty quick behing the wheel

No one will ever cone close to replicating surtees and what's more amazing is he lasted 4 years on bikes when track safety was not even a consideration

The only racers these days who are genuinely putting it on the line for basically nothing are dakar ans TT racers
Quote Reply