Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Home Security - I know the immediate response will be Glock but as a euro.....
Quote | Reply
thats obviously a non starter :)

The best we can hope for is sufficient deterrent in terms of time and effort as opposed to a projectile, so with that in mind.

I want to secure the house / motorbikes along with the rest of our possessions.

So I am thinking of:
  • Anchored steel bike cage to concrete pad
  • Lock anchor in concrete
  • Bike stored - wheel removed
  • ismartalarm with wifi camera / motion detectors - any users?
  • build workshop / shed around bike storage so its unseen

house is in quiet residential street, gated driveway

was thinking of installing tire spikes with gate, so they go down as it opens / closes :)

I figure at that point if someone can come in / has the time / energy and will to circumvent an alarmed, cctv house and defeat steel and concrete, they're welcome to all my possessions

leaving aside projectiles - thoughts on securing the house?
Quote Reply
Re: Home Security - I know the immediate response will be Glock but as a euro..... [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds as if your main concern is your bicycles? Obviously you don't want your bikes to be plainly visible and accessible and you are addressing that. I would want something that makes a noise and draws attention to someone on the premises.

If you're a pansy and aren't going to shoot them :), then how about a dog and surveillance cameras and signs? The dog would call attention, and the signs would let them know that they'll be on camera when the dog bites them. That would probably encourage them to pick an easier target.

I still think you should shoot them. That's all that us gun owners dream of doing. Obviously just kidding.
Quote Reply
Re: Home Security - I know the immediate response will be Glock but as a euro..... [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh. Aren't your neighbors willing to shoot people?

The fact is that thieves have a tough time determining who does and who does not want to shoot intruders.
Keep your valuables inside, and you shouldn't have a problem. I don't own a gun, but nobody around here knows that.
I don't even have a gated driveway.

Edit: It's year sixteen at this residence, and I'm 16-0 so far.
Last edited by: SH: Mar 6, 17 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just discussed this here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...%20security#p6232780

I spent about a month looking at different security possibilities before I made some purchases. I would be happy to help you out and share what I bought if you want via PM if you want.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How often are homes broken into in your neck of the woods?

We live in the suburbs of a major metro area and basically lock our doors and keep the garage door shut as much as possible. We have a big flashlight in the nightstand that would do some damage if needed. Some of our neighbors have lights with motion sensors, but more often than not the local cats and dogs set them off.

It sounds like you are taking the steps you can to protect your house and home given the constraints (no firearms). I have considered some wifi enabled cameras but have not done much research.

One thing to think of, that a good friend did, is installing automatic shutoff valves to your water main. He lives alone and travels for work, so he put them in as a stop-gap in case there is a water break while he is gone. They are set to shut off the water if there is a leak and he is hoping to minimize any damage if there is a frozen pipe or some other issue. Not a security issue, but piece of mind nonetheless if on the road.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a big dog. Feed him well and let him roam the yard... put him on display more or less; anyone casing the place will see big mean dog and pick your neighbours house.

I'm also of the opinion that a pump shotgun is far more effective for home defence than some silly plastic gun.
Quote Reply