Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I went to a Catholic Spanish Church Service today
Quote | Reply
My wife regularly goes to church but missed her normal service so for kicks I went to the noon service with her. Holy shit. It was so much better. First, instead of just having an organ player there was an entire band of kids. Second, the entire service was in Spanish and with the exception of understanding just a few words I was just able to chill and pay no attention. Third, my wife was happy that I went with her.....I came out of that service with an entirely new appreciation of church and I might even go again this year if there is no football and the weather sucks and there are no movies showing at the same time and I don't need a nap.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: I went to a Catholic Spanish Church Service today [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This made me think of this tweet:

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Last edited by: Guffaw: Mar 5, 17 15:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"the entire service was in Spanish and with the exception of understanding just a few words I was just able to chill and pay no attention. "

That's exactly what they used to do in the old days when all Catholic services were in Latin.
Quote Reply
Re: I went to a Catholic Spanish Church Service today [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't imagine going to a Latin Mass now [although I would love to]

I would keep thinking there were Harry Potter spells mixed into the Mass

Expecto Pertonum
or Expelliarmus or something like that

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is usually pretty regular about her attendance (and dragging the kids along) but will skip Mass here & there if we're traveling or have a legit conflict; however, if it's one of the bigger deals like Easter or Xmas then she'll typically at least try to find a local parish to drop in so she & the kids won't all go immediately to Hell... So one winter we're visiting my non-churchgoing relatives in the East Bay Area (CA) for the holidays and she looks up a Catholic church nearby in a heavily Asian 'hood ~ no big deal so far, as lots of businesses in the area are Asian-specific (mostly Chinese). Although I normally skip out (she used to try and drag me along when the kids were little, but has long since given up), the fact we were all traveling together in a place she didn't know, I went along as navigator/chauffeur so they wouldn't get lost.

Walking in was again no big deal in the way that all churches are different yet familiar, and the fact we were the only white people in there was also 'normal' enough for having spent time in that area and seeing a lot of the signage & such there clearly catered to a Chinese congregation... But as soon as they saw us walk in as obvious outside visitors, one of the attendant ladies immediately rushed up to personally welcome us to their parish, and inform/warn us that that particular service of the day's 3 was to be given in full Chinese. Now, I've heard plenty of Chinese from relatives and traveling, and I've also heard plenty of Latin-infused Masses along the way, but it was absolutely fucking jarring to go through a full Mass, with all the perfectly familiar trappings, in such an incongruous language (in a way that I don't imagine Spanish being nearly as discordant). That was definitely one of those Twilight Zone "Wait, is this actually happening or am I just having a bizarre-ass dream?" moments where it seems like time itself is totally distorted.
Quote Reply
Re: I went to a Catholic Spanish Church Service today [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I laughed so hard at your post it hurt.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply