Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Star Wars question [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
There is no air/oxygen in space yet when a fighter gets hit by a laser it explodes in flames. What supports the flames when there is no O2?

Actually, that's one of the few things that could be conceivable. Assuming those fighters use chemical propellants, those would contain their own source of oxygen in chemically bound form (e.g. nitrogen peroxide or just liquid oxygen) just like rockets use today. A direct hit to the fuel tank could cause an explosion then, fireball and all. Using chemical propellants would seem very archaic compared to all the fancy advanced technologies on display in those movies, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars question [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
BLeP wrote:
... why did Obi-Wan Wan call him Vader in their saber battle? Wouldn't he have just known him as Anakin?

Anikjn was dead to OBW. He was simply 'Vader'.

Obi Wan called him "Darth" ... at the time of the first movie, we all thought that was Vader's first name, and a pretty badass one at that

It wasn't until later we were "informed" that "Darth" wasn't a name, but a title given to a Dark Lord of the Sith

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth[/quote]
So a dialogue fuck up. Good work Lucus. I am amazed that he hasn't forced a change on that one, especially in the light of all the tinkering he has done.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars question [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
Is this the first thing that strikes you as odd in Star Wars science?

Of course not. But, it was on today and that caught my attention. Other oddities?

1. TIE fighters. Why the hell do they have the huge vertical "panels" on the side that obstruct the pilot's view and serve as targets? And where are the hidden engines?

2. X-Wing Fighters. How do they stop and turn? They have 4 engines, all of which point forward. What kind of entertainment system do they have? How did Luke fly it all the way to Dagobah? How did he fit all those supplies in it?

3. Super Star Destroyer. Why the fuck did they build this??? You build a bigger ship to carrier heavier weapons, but the Super Star Destroyer has exactly the same armament as the Star Destroyer.

4. Millennium Falcon. How does it generate gravity?

5. Snow Speeder. Why the fuck would you put a harpoon on it? And, if blasters cannot penetrate the skin of an AT-AT, how can the harpoon hook in? And why can the AT-AT be blown up just because it trips?

6. Sarlacc. It may take 1,000 years to digest food, but you would be dead long before that, so how could it be 1,000 years of hell?

How did Luke build a light saber? How was he trained by Yoda in 7 days? How was R2D2 able to plug right into the Death Star computer? Why was there a monster in the trash compactor?

PORKINS!

1. single engine behind the pilot
2. How do planes stop and turn?
3. No idea
4. No idea
5. Magnets weak armor on top (why they didn't stukka dive bomb them I don't know)
6. Just Jabba talking smack

1. TIE is an acronym for Twin Ion Engine. The panels are supposed to be heat radiator/solar panels.
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars question [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
windywave wrote:
JSA wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

Of course not. But, it was on today and that caught my attention. Other oddities?

1. TIE fighters. Why the hell do they have the huge vertical "panels" on the side that obstruct the pilot's view and serve as targets? And where are the hidden engines?

2. X-Wing Fighters. How do they stop and turn? They have 4 engines, all of which point forward. What kind of entertainment system do they have? How did Luke fly it all the way to Dagobah? How did he fit all those supplies in it?

3. Super Star Destroyer. Why the fuck did they build this??? You build a bigger ship to carrier heavier weapons, but the Super Star Destroyer has exactly the same armament as the Star Destroyer.

5. Snow Speeder. Why the fuck would you put a harpoon on it? And, if blasters cannot penetrate the skin of an AT-AT, how can the harpoon hook in? And why can the AT-AT be blown up just because it trips?

6. Sarlacc. It may take 1,000 years to digest food, but you would be dead long before that, so how could it be 1,000 years of hell?

How did Luke build a light saber? How was he trained by Yoda in 7 days? How was R2D2 able to plug right into the Death Star computer? Why was there a monster in the trash compactor?

PORKINS!

1. single engine behind the pilot
2. How do planes stop and turn?
3. No idea
4. No idea
5. Magnets weak armor on top (why they didn't stukka dive bomb them I don't know)
6. Just Jabba talking smack

1. TIE is an acronym for Twin Ion Engine. The panels are supposed to be heat radiator/solar panels.

Yep, but that does not take away from the rest of my questions. Why the location, which grossly obstructs the view of the pilot? If it is a single engine/single thruster, how does it stop/turn? How does it "hover" to land? Why are Vader's panels curved?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars question [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Yep, but that does not take away from the rest of my questions. Why the location, which grossly obstructs the view of the pilot? If it is a single engine/single thruster, how does it stop/turn? How does it "hover" to land? Why are Vader's panels curved?

duh...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So when Luke is captured by the abominable snow man at the beginning of episode V, why doesn't he just kill it and stay in the relatively warmer cave? And then, while he's got the universe's most incredible energy source -- his light saber -- why doesn't he just boil some water (snow) and make himself comfortable until the storm blows over?

Also, the death star is a physics professor's nightmare. It's plenty big enough IMO to generate the gravity necessary for its components to collapse. Also, doesn't the thing need a hyper drive in order to get near other planets that it wants to destroy? On the off chance it didn't have enough mass and energy (m=e/c**2) to collapse on its own, then any reasonable acceleration will surely do the trick.
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars question [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars question [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
So when Luke is captured by the abominable snow man at the beginning of episode V, why doesn't he just kill it and stay in the relatively warmer cave? And then, while he's got the universe's most incredible energy source -- his light saber -- why doesn't he just boil some water (snow) and make himself comfortable until the storm blows over?

O ... k ... EASY there, tiger! We are talking about REAL stuff like spaceships and death stars. Not plot holes and poor decisions by the characters!

;-)

SH wrote:
Also, the death star is a physics professor's nightmare. It's plenty big enough IMO to generate the gravity necessary for its components to collapse. Also, doesn't the thing need a hyper drive in order to get near other planets that it wants to destroy? On the off chance it didn't have enough mass and energy (m=e/c**2) to collapse on its own, then any reasonable acceleration will surely do the trick.

Good point. I remember one of my physics TAs pointing out something about that. The whole engineering school experience was so traumatic to me, however, that I try to block it out ...

Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars question [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just go here and poke around for a while

https://www.youtube.com/...lsX1qfGqKPt4KAW-JOZg

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars question [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And a new one I thought of, why did Obi-Wan Wan call him Vader in their saber battle? Wouldn't he have just known him as Anakin?
---

Obi Wan explained this himself in Return when Luke basically asked him that same question. Once Anakin turned to the Dark Side, the good man known as Anakin ceased to exist and became the twisted, evil Darth Vader. So, what I told you was true, from a certain perspective.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars question [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
.... from a certain point of view.

Quote it right

https://io9.gizmodo.com/...-for-lyin-1792541825

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars question [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
softrun wrote:
JSA wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

PORKINS!

There is no air/oxygen in space yet when a fighter gets hit by a laser it explodes in flames. What supports the flames when there is no O2?
Also, laser beams are not visible, as far as I know. You see the light at the source and at the point when it hits something, but not in between.

Ad Muncher

How do you think they breathe?

They breathe inside the spacecraft, not outside it. But since you mentioned breathing, interesting that all the space creatures need the same amount of O2.
And they all speak English.
Last edited by: softrun: Mar 6, 17 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
They breathe inside the spacecraft, not outside it. But since you mentioned breathing, interesting that all the space creatures need the same amount of O2.
And they all like to hang out at lame jazz clubs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:

You mean except for the ones that don't. Jabba... Greedo... etc...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars question [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chewbacca, R2-D2 . . .

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars question [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BB8, Ewoks, Jawas, Tuskin Raiders ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BB8, Ewoks, Jawas, Tuskin Raiders ...

It IS kind of 3PO's reason to be.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
SkipG wrote:
Are you on something other than the Pappy?

Look man, this stuff's important! Much more important than reminding BarryP that coal-lives-matter.

The answer is much simpler:

Georgie wanted to make something that looked like WWII Pacific dog fights. That's all. Damn the physics, he wanted F6Fs vs Zeros!
Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars question [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
JSA wrote:
SkipG wrote:
Are you on something other than the Pappy?

Look man, this stuff's important! Much more important than reminding BarryP that coal-lives-matter.

The answer is much simpler:

Georgie wanted to make something that looked like WWII Pacific dog fights. That's all. Damn the physics, he wanted F6Fs vs Zeros!

I dunno. The cockpit window of the TIE fighter is strongly reminiscent of the Luftwaffer bombers like the He-111.

Quote Reply
Re: Star Wars question [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

People make it sound like space operas generally get the physics of dog fighting in space right. Sheesh.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listen - we need something to discuss other than Cuba, snowflakes, coal minors, and the idiocy of BarryP.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I know, I know. Just kind of silly to pick on Star Wars for having dogfights in space that don't conform to the laws of physics. Lots of movies and shows do that. Battlestar Galactica? Etc and so on. How many scifi shows don't show ships banking to turn? Just about all of them act as if everyone involved has the same "down" reference point.

How do the "inertial dampeners" work in Star Trek? How come they can mute the acceleration forces involved in jumping from a stand still to warp 9, but they can't keep the ship steady when an enemy phaser blast grazes the shields?

Most realistic space fighting movies?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Yeah, I know, I know. Just kind of silly to pick on Star Wars for having dogfights in space that don't conform to the laws of physics.

Absolutely, it is silly! But, if not Star Wars, who??? The details, back-stories, history, language, Wookiepedia, etc., etc. is beyond belief. And, the fact that we can "debate" these topics, point out ALL the "flaws," and still watch the damn movies every single time they come on TNT is pretty incredible!

Hell, the Wookiepedia page for Porkins is longer than Wikipedia pages of some former U.S. Presidents!!!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jek_Tono_Porkins

Quote Reply

Prev Next