Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: UFC 209 Woodley v Thompson II [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
JSA wrote:
And the winner is ... Woodley by majority decision. Very close. 48-47, 47-47, 48-47.

Thanks for the updates. Sounds like it was similar to the first match. Nothing against either fighter they are both top notch and have serious heart and guts to take it the distance. Some think that's boring but when evenly matched that's what you get.

Appreciate the coverage throughout.

Nothing like the first match. First match was fight of the night. This sucked. I'm of the mindset the challenger must take the belt. Thompson had no business getting the nod on any of the scorecards.

Overheems knees are made of uru. Hunt gets my vote for toughest guy in MMA. Gets tibia broken and nasty cut on shin from impact in 1st round and isn't fazed one bit.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 209 Woodley v Thompson II [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya I just saw some highlights on sports center. Boring
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 209 Woodley v Thompson II [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

The reports from a UK news outlet says he was hospitalized for something he did to cut weight. The announcers in the UFC 209 preview said he was WAY over weight and did something he should not have b/c he was so far from making weight.

Haven't heard about that, will be interested to see if further details emerge. FWIW, I don't think his past performances can be attributed to simply being bigger. I would be surprised, actually, if Ferguson isn't actually the bigger guy of the two.

But I don't like the drastic weight cutting, either. Don't see an easy way to stop it. Best solution I've heard is to have weigh ins right before the fight. Problem is if some idiot still tries to dehydrate himself to make weight, then he's at seriously increased risk of brain injury.

Why not have periodic weigh ins? They have multiple weigh ins at something like 90, 60, 30, 15 days. You don't have to be at weight but at a certain percentage. Force guys closer to their natural weight.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 209 Woodley v Thompson II [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh. You could, but ffs, do we really need to weigh in fighters all the time? What kind of scheme would you implement? How far out from a fight would you start checking, and how fat are they allowed to get when they're not fighting?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do what Ohio did. They scrapped their 2016 same day weigh-in trial in favor of a day before and re-weigh day of. It's +8lbs on re-weigh for WW and below and +13 for MW and above. It's not perfect, but these are adults and at some point you have to let them be idiots, which has consequences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

The reports from a UK news outlet says he was hospitalized for something he did to cut weight. The announcers in the UFC 209 preview said he was WAY over weight and did something he should not have b/c he was so far from making weight.

Haven't heard about that, will be interested to see if further details emerge. FWIW, I don't think his past performances can be attributed to simply being bigger. I would be surprised, actually, if Ferguson isn't actually the bigger guy of the two.

But I don't like the drastic weight cutting, either. Don't see an easy way to stop it. Best solution I've heard is to have weigh ins right before the fight. Problem is if some idiot still tries to dehydrate himself to make weight, then he's at seriously increased risk of brain injury.

Why not have periodic weigh ins? They have multiple weigh ins at something like 90, 60, 30, 15 days. You don't have to be at weight but at a certain percentage. Force guys closer to their natural weight.
I've heard of this written into fighter contracts in boxing. Fighters that have had trouble making weight, and the opponent is tired of getting jerked around, so they put these percentages of cut required. If they don't make them they get fined/loose a chunk of their purse. Plus the fighter that requires these can see if the other is even close to making weight and if the fight is going to happen.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 209 Woodley v Thompson II [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
JSA wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

I've heard of this written into fighter contracts in boxing. Fighters that have had trouble making weight, and the opponent is tired of getting jerked around, so they put these percentages of cut required. If they don't make them they get fined/loose a chunk of their purse. Plus the fighter that requires these can see if the other is even close to making weight and if the fight is going to happen.

This was actually my thought. If you don't want to implement this via the UFC, then put it in an individual fight contract. Crazy that this is the third time this fight has been scrapped.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prelims were much better than the main event. They were way too cautious in the main event to have a good fight.

The cut on Hunt's shin was pretty nasty. And the knees to his face are just nothing I want to happen to me.

This was a much better card than last time.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 209 Woodley v Thompson II [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was a great card overall. I didn't even mind the title fight. Definite chess match, and I can see how people might find it boring and disappointing after their last one, but I thought it was fascinating. Like watching a mongoose duel with a cobra. Thompson is lightning quick, but had to be careful about leaving the door open for Woodley to explode through. Good stuff.

I definitely had it 3-2 for Thompson, though. Not sure how that whole "you have to take it from the champ" ethos is supposed to play out on the scorecards.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't mind the title fight at all. But it shows what happens with rematches. Not many look like Gatti/Ward 1,2 and 3.

It was the kind of fight you want to see go back to old times boxing where you have to go until someone is out. Lots of skill on both sides and both wary of the other's weapons.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, scoring round by round it's tough to have that position. What round did Thompson win besides 4? I know all judges had round 1 for Thompson, but that was textbook 10-10 in my eyes. If that's not 10-10, what is?
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 209 Woodley v Thompson II [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It was the kind of fight you want to see go back to old times boxing where you have to go until someone is out.

Yeah, that would be perfect for that fight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had Thompson winning rounds 1,2, and 4. Woodley spent almost all of those rounds trapped against the cage trying to react to Thompson. Gave Woodley round 3 for the take down, and round 5 for the knock down.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Agree, scoring round by round it's tough to have that position. What round did Thompson win besides 4? I know all judges had round 1 for Thompson, but that was textbook 10-10 in my eyes. If that's not 10-10, what is?

I had it 47-47. Going by memory -

Round 1: 10-9 Thompson
Round 2: 10-9 Thompson
Round 3: 10-9 Woodley
Round 4: 9-9
Round 5: 10-9 Woodley

Quote Reply

Prev Next