Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hey Cerveloguy, why didn't you tell me that Cuba was AWESOME? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
If the prices to that particular island stay ridiculously low, I would like to return. Having seen Havana (56 miles of it on a bike) where would you recommend I go next? Since the island is the size of Pennsylvania, I would especially appreciate a little direction to a good beach.

My driver took me to Santa Maria Del Mar. While it was only about a 1/2 hour East of Havana (no beach there, only rocky shore), the swimming there was no-joke hard with the pounding surf and undertow. I wasn't swimming to Miami in that water on that day!

What did I miss; where should I go?

Glad you had a wonderful time and now I have one ally on LR who can back me up on Cuba. As you know, we went to Cuba the first time 20 yrs ago and have watched it change over the years. Even though we've gone there often, we've tended to confine ourselves to sometimes more remote areas that have good scuba diving. This has always been a conflict for us since we've also always wanted to do an extended bicycle tour around the island. Unfortunately its difficult to carry both a bicycle and all your scuba gear. Once I retire then I'll spend a good part of my winter in Cuba and intend to do a long bicycle tour around the island.

For beaches it really depends what you want. Most of the island is a beach, but the Varadero strip has is one of the best beaches in the Caribbean, is 21 kms long, but is all resorts and doesn't give the true Cuba experience. Guardalavaca is another cool beach area and not as over heated/built up as Varadero. My favorite would the Playa Ancon beach near the historic city of Trinidad on the south shore. We also like the diving in that part of the island.

Now that you've seen Havana two other must see cities would be Cienfeugos and Trinidad, which aren't that far away from each other. Trinidad is a world heritage site founded in 1514. If you like history then its a must see as the old part of the city really gives you a feel of colonial new world Spain. Plus in the evening there are all kinds of cafes, restaurants, night spots. Cienfeugos is also a UNESCO site as is cool because it is unique in Cuba as the only city in Cuba built by the French and was even held by the British for a short period. The architecture is quite different from Trinidad and makes an interesting comparison.

Hope you go again soon.

This is exactly the information I was looking for. My little sister (who accompanied me as "official crew") has a 70+ year old, horse back riding friend who chickened out at the last minute on this trip. I will keep running into that fire if it means helping someone else as long as I am able ;-)

Anyway, now that she sees that we "survived", she would like to go with her original intention of SCUBA diving. The beach my driver took me to was very rough swimming and I had my goggles. I was tossed around enough and I'm sure that no aquatic life would be able to thrive there either. The good news was that in February, I was perfectly comfortable swimming without a wetsuit, which is a HUGE bonus!

Thanks again for your help in this thread and the pm's you wrote preceding my journey!

From what you're describing I can recommend a couple of resorts very close to Trinidad on the Playa Ancon beach where the diving is excellent and the dive shop is on the resort. Great beach plus the amazing historic Spanish colonial city of Trinidad only fifteen minutes away by cab. Let me know if that fits your description.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Cerveloguy, why didn't you tell me that Cuba was AWESOME? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

I've met Americans in Cuba every single time I've gone there.

Every meet any Cubans in America? They have a different view of a police state than a tourist for some reason.

Give it up. You're really being the village idiot. The old guard in Miami is now in their 80's and 90's. There is an entire generation of younger Cuban Americans who feel it is time to normalize relations with Cuba.

Hey dick with ears. Get your own material and stop stealing others. Yea, we notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Cerveloguy, why didn't you tell me that Cuba was AWESOME? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

Every meet any Cubans in America? They have a different view of a police state than a tourist for some reason.

Give it up. You're really being the village idiot. The old guard in Miami is now in their 80's and 90's. There is an entire generation of younger Cuban Americans who feel it is time to normalize relations with Cuba.

I asked about Cubans you know the ones that escaped the police state. As to your assertion about second generation the ones I know hate communism too.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Cerveloguy, why didn't you tell me that Cuba was AWESOME? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

I asked about Cubans you know the ones that escaped the police state. As to your assertion about second generation the ones I know hate communism too.

I thought to share 2 photos I took of what you insist on calling a police state:[/img] on the grounds of Hotel Nacional (race headquarters)

These 1860's era cannons were going to stop nuclear weapons...[/img]

In the end, I had to be careful not to make fun of the people who know that their country is a desperate state of disrepair due to lack of money. The Military Industrial Complex was not imprisoning them and keeping them from leaving; Cuba is ~100 miles East of Cancun; 100 miles South of Miami; 100 miles West of Haiti and finally 100 miles North of Jamaica.

The Cubans mostly have cell phones and when they pay for a Wifi hotspot, they get internet too. Police carry sticks, not guns. The prisoner / victim status is a relic of the past, like those cannons. If you really want to do something to help, instead of just complain, then vote with your wallet.

Maritza, my hostess, and Alberto, my driver, were extremely happy that I visited and happier still with my cash tip (which was a month's pay ;-) I put up; now it's time for you to shut up until you have photos of your own of how you made the World a better place for someone besides you.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Cerveloguy, why didn't you tell me that Cuba was AWESOME? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
windywave wrote:
softrun wrote:
Just admit it...you posted it here just to see windy has a hissyfit :-) :-)
Hey windy, I have been to Cuba too. You have a problem with it? I have been to Egypt, Algeria, USSR, Hungary (during communism), Yemen and Pakistan. All shining examples of oppression and dictatorship. Traveling and seeing places different then yours gives you a much broader outlook onto the world. And whether you go or not, the regime in that country is not going to change. So may as well go. What are you actually doing about it other than bitching in LR?

What I find galling is Comrade CV going on and on about how he's a liberal and then goes and provides hard cash to the government of a country that for all intents and purposes restricts basic fundamental rights, crushes dissent, and has created a police state. Except for the USSR those places are more free than Cuba and I know people who were behind the Iron Curtain too, they fucking hated it and will talk your ear off about it and how much they appreciate freedom
(or they worked for OGA bit that's a different story)

And bam!!! Hissy-fit engaged.
It's not a hissyfit

Call it what you like, but from a bystander w/ no ties to Cuba nor any plans to go there, you do still sound like a whiny-ass bitch about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Cerveloguy, why didn't you tell me that Cuba was AWESOME? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

I thought to share 2 photos I took of what you insist on calling a police state:[/img] on the grounds of Hotel Nacional (race headquarters)

In the end, I had to be careful not to make fun of the people who know that their country is a desperate state of disrepair due to lack of money. The Military Industrial Complex was not imprisoning them and keeping them from leaving; Cuba is ~100 miles East of Cancun; 100 miles South of Miami; 100 miles West of Haiti and finally 100 miles North of Jamaica.

The Cubans mostly have cell phones and when they pay for a Wifi hotspot, they get internet too. Police carry sticks, not guns. The prisoner / victim status is a relic of the past, like those cannons. If you really want to do something to help, instead of just complain, then vote with your wallet.

Maritza, my hostess, and Alberto, my driver, were extremely happy that I visited and happier still with my cash tip (which was a month's pay ;-) I put up; now it's time for you to shut up until you have photos of your own of how you made the World a better place for someone besides you.

You realize it is forbidden for most people to leave Cuba, the internet is censored, and plenty do get to the US. I do vote with my wallet, I don't support governments that sanction the beating of women, but hey, enjoy your cheap vacation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...-arrival-Havana.html

http://www.usatoday.com/...bama-visit/82048950/
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Cerveloguy, why didn't you tell me that Cuba was AWESOME? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
windywave wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
windywave wrote:
softrun wrote:
Just admit it...you posted it here just to see windy has a hissyfit :-) :-)
Hey windy, I have been to Cuba too. You have a problem with it? I have been to Egypt, Algeria, USSR, Hungary (during communism), Yemen and Pakistan. All shining examples of oppression and dictatorship. Traveling and seeing places different then yours gives you a much broader outlook onto the world. And whether you go or not, the regime in that country is not going to change. So may as well go. What are you actually doing about it other than bitching in LR?

What I find galling is Comrade CV going on and on about how he's a liberal and then goes and provides hard cash to the government of a country that for all intents and purposes restricts basic fundamental rights, crushes dissent, and has created a police state. Except for the USSR those places are more free than Cuba and I know people who were behind the Iron Curtain too, they fucking hated it and will talk your ear off about it and how much they appreciate freedom
(or they worked for OGA bit that's a different story)

And bam!!! Hissy-fit engaged.

It's not a hissyfit

Call it what you like, but from a bystander w/ no ties to Cuba nor any plans to go there, you do still sound like a whiny-ass bitch about it.

What part? The fact I want people to have basic liberties or the fact I am appalled that people brag about their cheap vacations there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In the end, I had to be careful not to make fun of the people who know that their country is a desperate state of disrepair due to lack of money.

This understanding of economics reminds me of the economics of the movie The Hobbit. In The Hobbit around Lake Town, nobody makes anything. Nobody grows anything. Everyone lives in squalor. However, every last character thinks that if they can just get some gold and some gems they'll all live this incredible life.

Money is just an intermediary. Cubans live in a state of disrepair because they can't repair anything. Hiring the people that can repair things costs dollars.
Last edited by: SH: Mar 6, 17 18:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

Great post. I've always noticed a lot less police presence in Cuba than in the USA, as you explained (or tried to) to windywave. And the police don't carry guns. Not necesary because the crime is quite low. But windywave is one of these people who will never go see for himself. Very sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So they're free, then?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Cerveloguy, why didn't you tell me that Cuba was AWESOME? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
So they're free, then?

Define "free". Americans scream about freedom but do you feel safe in your cities. You can feel safe anywhere in Cuba. So what freedom do you have when you can't feel safe? Just a thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a difference between "free" and "safe." But if the conditions in our inner cities were the direct result of deliberate government actions, and you still went there to take advantage of the cheap cocktails, that'd be immoral, too.

Wonder how safe someone in Cuba feels criticizing their government . . .

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Cerveloguy, why didn't you tell me that Cuba was AWESOME? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
There's a difference between "free" and "safe." But if the conditions in our inner cities were the direct result of deliberate government actions, and you still went there to take advantage of the cheap cocktails, that'd be immoral, too.

Just being an antagonist and making a point. If you're not safe then you're not really free. I feel safe walking around anywhere, any time in any Cuban city. Not so much in the USA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Just being an antagonist and making a point.

I understand the point, but it's a distraction.

Yes, you as a tourist can walk around Cuba and be safe from crime. Yes, there are places in America you can't do that. That doesn't make the government of Cuba any less repressive, or its people any more free.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Yes, you as a tourist can walk around Cuba and be safe from crime. Yes, there are places in America you can't do that."

Or as a citizen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, you can walk around as a Cuban citizen and be safe from crime. Just not safe from your government.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
OK, you can walk around as a Cuban citizen and be safe from crime. Just not safe from your government.

That might change for you under Trump. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I note the smiley face, but in seriousness, if and when Trump actually tries to seize more power than he legitimately holds under the Constitution, or when he tries to curtail American liberty, you can rest good and well assured that I'll be the first person bitching about it.

So far, he's proving significantly less worrisome on that score than the past several presidents.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
So they're free, then?

Define "free". Americans scream about freedom but do you feel safe in your cities. You can feel safe anywhere in Cuba. So what freedom do you have when you can't feel safe? Just a thought.

Freedom of speech, press, assembly, movement you pompous ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Just being an antagonist and making a point. If you're not safe then you're not really free. I feel safe walking around anywhere, any time in any Cuban city. Not so much in the USA.

Probably because they'd lock you up without a trial or a show trial at best. This is the hypocritical shit of yours that disgusts me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
So they're free, then?

Freedom of speech, press, assembly, movement you pompous ass.

Crickets because you have no comeback?
Quote Reply

Prev Next