Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Canadian Immigration Policy [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the real deal...

If you are from Hong Kong with lots of money you are let in. It doesn't matter if you speak English or not. French? Yeah right, Quebec don't let in non white people.

If you are from England with a job lined up and an education they make it exceedingly difficult for you to get in (n=3).

As previously mentioned, if you are a minority and walk across the border, you are in.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Immigration Policy [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
I once worked with a guy from Florida, he overstayed his visa and Canada immigration showed up at work and took him away, to his apartment to pack a bag and straight to the border. We don't mess around up here so it puzzles me why so many up here question Trump's immigration policies.

BINGO!!!

There are a lot of things Canadian I joke about, but more things Canadian that just plain make sense! What bothers me is our Canadian friends on this site and our Donkey friends who want to pick and choose which things Canadian to praise (e.g., healthcare) and which things Canadian to ignore (e.g., immigration) while bashing things proposed by Trump that pail in comparison! It isn't just Canada either. Look at France, Spain, and especially Japan!

Hilarious.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to understand our mentality. We're the little guys next door so when the U.S does something like elect Trump, we feel better about ourselves and pretend that wouldn't happen here. We like to think we are more accepting of immigrants and "nicer".

However, the truth is that we are "nicer" on immigrants only because we are surrounded by 3 oceans and don't have a border with a poor country. The asylum seekers coming in now across the border are starting to cause some concern and you can bet that if it continues, and especially if the economy slows at the same time, that a lot of people would be screaming for tighter controls and getting rid of those entering illegally.

People are the same everywhere. We point at others when we don't face the same issues but we would do exactly the same thing if the tables were turned.

Hard to say but it is the truth.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Immigration Policy [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Here's the real deal...

If you are from Hong Kong with lots of money you are let in. It doesn't matter if you speak English or not. French? Yeah right, Quebec don't let in non white people.

If you are from England with a job lined up and an education they make it exceedingly difficult for you to get in (n=3).

As previously mentioned, if you are a minority and walk across the border, you are in.

This. On the west coast we have a problem with Chinese tourist babies. To the point where there are businesses that offer packages to wealthy Chinese where you spend your last trimester in a Canadian "maternity spa", which is just a normal residential house in a Vancouver suburb, have your baby in Canada, then go home. Those kids are now Canadian citizens and are free to access Canada's social programs, health care, education, etc and it makes it easier for their parents to come here as well. These packages are sold as luxury products.

There was a study done on Vancouver's insane housing market. The occupation of the vast majority of foreign owned houses (we are talking thousands of multi-million dollar properties) was "student" or "housewife" ie "unemployed". How are these unemployed people buying all these 3 million dollar homes? hmmm.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
50+ wrote:
I once worked with a guy from Florida, he overstayed his visa and Canada immigration showed up at work and took him away, to his apartment to pack a bag and straight to the border. We don't mess around up here so it puzzles me why so many up here question Trump's immigration policies.

BINGO!!!

There are a lot of things Canadian I joke about, but more things Canadian that just plain make sense! What bothers me is our Canadian friends on this site and our Donkey friends who want to pick and choose which things Canadian to praise (e.g., healthcare) and which things Canadian to ignore (e.g., immigration) while bashing things proposed by Trump that pail in comparison! It isn't just Canada either. Look at France, Spain, and especially Japan!

Hilarious.

I'll bet their are plenty of people here who like both the immigration policy and healthcare system in Canada. You aren't behaving like the typical Republican by saying you want to import ideas from outside the USA. Isn't that the ultimate Republican taboo? What's next, Sweden?
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Immigration Policy [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

I'll bet their are plenty of people here who like both the immigration policy and healthcare system in Canada. You aren't behaving like the typical Republican by saying you want to import ideas from outside the USA. Isn't that the ultimate Republican taboo? What's next, Sweden?

On Tuesday, during his Presidential Address, Trump praised the Canadian system and suggested the US consider adopting the majority of it. Then again, Trump isn't a Republican, so ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Immigration Policy [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always say you will find out how peaceful people are when they have to line up for bread.

Sanuk wrote:
You have to understand our mentality. We're the little guys next door so when the U.S does something like elect Trump, we feel better about ourselves and pretend that wouldn't happen here. We like to think we are more accepting of immigrants and "nicer".

However, the truth is that we are "nicer" on immigrants only because we are surrounded by 3 oceans and don't have a border with a poor country. The asylum seekers coming in now across the border are starting to cause some concern and you can bet that if it continues, and especially if the economy slows at the same time, that a lot of people would be screaming for tighter controls and getting rid of those entering illegally.

People are the same everywhere. We point at others when we don't face the same issues but we would do exactly the same thing if the tables were turned.

Hard to say but it is the truth.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
schroeder wrote:

On Tuesday, during his Presidential Address, Trump praised the Canadian system and suggested the US consider adopting the majority of it. Then again, Trump isn't a Republican, so ...

Still wouldn't matter to our delusional friends of the Great White North.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most OECD countries use a similar point based system.
The USA had a similar scheme on the Senate floor last year but I'm not sure where that went. I think the current administration would want to continue getting this implemented. Maybe some changes to the point and grading scheme - i.e. What shade is your tone, with paper white = 100 pts and midnight black = 0 points, Who is your favorite person: Jesus = 100pts, Moses = 50 pts, Buddha = 0 pts., Muhammad = -500 pts.
Are you Mexican? Yes = -10e50 pts.

The system works OK, but there are down sides. Places like Canada, UK, Australia, EU, etc. have loads of taxi drivers or pizza delivery guys with PhD.s and MDs. On the plus side, during my undergrad engineering days, whenever I had a late night assignment, I'd just order a Domino's and for a $5 tip, Manzoor or Ahmad would help me with some of the Boundary Value Problems & Fourier Series calculations.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Immigration Policy [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
priceless

Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Immigration Policy [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
The USA had a similar scheme on the Senate floor last year but I'm not sure where that went. I think the current administration would want to continue getting this implemented. Maybe some changes to the point and grading scheme - i.e. What shade is your tone, with paper white = 100 pts and midnight black = 0 points, Who is your favorite person: Jesus = 100pts, Moses = 50 pts, Buddha = 0 pts., Muhammad = -500 pts.

The system works OK, but there are down sides. Places like Canada, UK, Australia, EU, etc. have loads of taxi drivers or pizza delivery guys with PhD.s and MDs. On the plus side, during my undergrad engineering days, whenever I had a late night assignment, I'd just order a Domino's and for a $5 tip, Manzoor or Ahmad would help me with some of the Boundary Value Problems & Fourier Series calculations.

This is very much true and I have experienced it myself. I have a degree in marine engineering but couldn't even get a job to sail a small water taxi. They all wanted Canadian degree, Canadian experience, Canadian references etc etc...nothing foreign counted. So I worked as a laborer, busboy etc until I somehow got into personal training and physio.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Immigration Policy [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

This is very much true and I have experienced it myself. I have a degree in marine engineering but couldn't even get a job to sail a small water taxi. They all wanted Canadian degree, Canadian experience, Canadian references etc etc...nothing foreign counted. So I worked as a laborer, busboy etc until I somehow got into personal training and physio.

Maybe you just suck at interviewing ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Immigration Policy [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but they are the deciding factor in almost every Federal election. Which is one of the reasons we would like for them to fall in the ocean.
vitus979 wrote:
They give you points for being fluent in French?

That's weird, because I get the impression most of Canada would like to see Quebec fall into the ocean, and the rest of the world would cheer along to see it.

Quote Reply

Prev Next