Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Checking in Hockey - Colin Miller
Quote | Reply
It's crazy to me to see Miller get a major and game misconduct for charging on this hit. He was not skating, but gliding into the path of a guy with the puck and his head up. A nasty, but clean, open ice check... it was not blind side, not to the head and certainly not charging.

there was a comment in the concussion thread about hockey and lacrosse, I t is amazing how much they have clamped down on checking in both sports...

http://sports.yahoo.com/...video-015339069.html
Quote Reply
Re: Checking in Hockey - Colin Miller [CW in NH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good clean hit, it was a body check of a guy who's smaller and wasn't ready for it. It was a suicide pass, is what it was, when I played in HS one of my teammates got knocked the F out on the exact same pass. The penalty is reactionary due to the severity of the injury/player being stretchered off.

I'm fine with clamping down on dirty, predatory hits, a cleaner games is safer for everyone involved. This is one of those instances that is totally unavoidable, a simple body check of a guy not ready to be hit, if anything his D-man making the outlet pass should be given a penalty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bad pass clean hit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's only going to get more ridiculous. Even the players are acting like you can't hit hard anymore. If you throw a big hit you immediately get jumped by the whole team, even if it was completely legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard but clean hit, I don't think it merited a major for charging let alone even a minor. Even Coyotes coach Dave Tippett called it a textbook hockey hit. It was good to see Burmistov give the two thumbs up when leaving the ice.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not a hockey fan but that was nothing

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like there will be no disciplinary action which is the right call. Completely clean textbook hit with an unfortunate outcome and I understand why they made a call on the ice, but the league is so scared of injuries that they are refereeing good hits out of the game.
Quote Reply
Re: Checking in Hockey - Colin Miller [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
It's only going to get more ridiculous. Even the players are acting like you can't hit hard anymore. If you throw a big hit you immediately get jumped by the whole team, even if it was completely legal.

One of my biggest pet peaves. If it is a clean hit then suck it up and don't get hit next time. I hated it when my teammates did that crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I'll say this: jumping a player for a blowup hit is as old as time. Well, if not jumping him the way they did with Miller, the hitter better know he'll be throwing the gloves in the near future. Part of the 'unwritten rules' of the NHL had it that if you're willing to deliver a big hit, you better answer the bell if that player gets hurt.

Now there's very little 'answering of the bell', so players on the ice will do what little they can - a little tustle with the hitter - to show their support.

That said, a big hit like that, in the past, would never ever have resulted in a penalty. I'm happy the predatory and headhunting stuff is being strictly enforced, it needs to be. But penalizing a big, clean hit like that is garbge.
Quote Reply
Re: Checking in Hockey - Colin Miller [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree with that. Unless the hit was dirty you didn't have everyone jump the guy until the last few years. Go pull up Scott Stevens, Rob Blake, Phaneuf, etc from the 90s/2000. They rarely if ever turned into fights. The later into 2000 it went the more this started to happen. Hell there are some hits by Stevens that nearly killed a few people and the play kept going like nothing happened.

Zadarov had the same thing a few weeks ago before he got hurt beautiful hit then had two guys jump him.

It used to be if it was clean and you got your bell rung you'd go out and lay that guy out later in the game now it seems they are all just piling on the guy as soon as it happens. It's stupid, it's a hockey game keep your head up and stop being such a candy ass when you get hit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hell there are some hits by Stevens that nearly killed a few people

Eric Lindros would agree

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Checking in Hockey - Colin Miller [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a similar one from back in the day with John Wensink (although it does appear that he leads with the forearm/elbow). Watch how he casually waves to the Buffalo bench for the trainer and none of the Sabres dare challenge him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4OsLWlCgGY

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Checking in Hockey - Colin Miller [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Here's a similar one from back in the day with John Wensink (although it does appear that he leads with the forearm/elbow). Watch how he casually waves to the Buffalo bench for the trainer and none of the Sabres dare challenge him:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4OsLWlCgGY[/quote[/url]]
Eh, you guys may be right, I grew up watching the B's in the 90's so maybe caught the tail-end of 'real' hockey and am misremembering. That said, I'm happy shit like what's in that video has been penalized out of the game. Flying elbows were the norm back in the day and no one batted an eyelash. Amazing how little was known (or accepted) even fifteen years ago wrt head trauma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the last few seconds of the screen - it looks like there are two opposing players hugging. :) I guess they had to show they were getting "involved", but didn't think it was really worth fighting for. But, since there is only a couple of seconds, I could be completely wrong.
Quote Reply