Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fact checking Trump's speech....
Quote | Reply
...a lot of b.s. and outright mistakes. But that should be no surprise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.ff23c12aa4a3
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's speech.... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK so this is fun, because here's Obama's SOTU fact checking from last year:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.ebc8fcb07dbb

One simple comparison between the two...tell me there isn't bias here:
Trump:

“Since my election, Ford, Fiat Chrysler, General Motors, Sprint, SoftBank, Lockheed, Intel, Walmart and many others have announced that they will invest billions of dollars in the United States and will create tens of thousands of new American jobs.â€

Trump again takes credit for business decisions made before his election.
Ford’s decision to abandon its plans to open a factory in Mexico and instead expand its Michigan plant has more to do with the company’s long-term goal — particularly its plans to invest in electric vehicles — than with the administration. Ford chief executive Mark Fields said about the company’s decision to abandon plans to open a factory in Mexico: “The reason that we are not building the new plant, the primary reason, is just demand has gone down for small cars.â€
Sergio Marchionne, the Fiat Chrysler chief executive, said his company’s plan to invest $1 billion for a factory in Michigan had been in the works for more than a year and had nothing to do with Trump. Marchionne credited instead talks with the United Auto Workers.
Japanese company SoftBank announced its $100 billion technology investment fund three weeks before the U.S. elections, when Trump faced a narrow path to victory. After a December 2016 meeting with President-elect Trump, SoftBank announced that $50 billion would go to the United States. But the United States outpaces all other countries in venture capital investments, and it is questionable that none of the $100 billion would have gone to the vibrant and promising tech industry in America — regardless of whether Trump was elected.

Obama Feb '16:

“And we’ve done all this while cutting our deficits by almost three-quarters.â€
The improvement in the economy, coupled with the spending cuts in the sequester, has yielded a significantly lower deficit than just a few years ago. The deficit for the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30 was $439 billion.
For economists, raw numbers mean less than the percentage of the gross domestic product, and here, too, there has been an improvement. As a percentage of the GDP, the deficit in fiscal year 2015 was 2.5 percent, the lowest level since 2007.
For fiscal year 2009, when Obama took office, the deficit was 9.8 percent of GDP, so that’s a 75 percent reduction.

Trump said something factually accurate, a political maneuver to attribute a market change to his own doing. The WaPo article rightly pointed out that those business decisions were made irrespective of the person in the White House. Totally fair criticism.

Meanwhile Obama said something that is a flat-out lie, and even if you attribute FY2009 to Bush (he had a hand in that deficit but at least half of it was on Obama) it's still a fucking joke that a 2015 deficit higher than any non-Obama Presidential year in history can be considered 'cutting deficit by three-quarters' without mentioning this fact. Hell, the deficit to GDP Obama ran was worse than all but two Bush years--years that were at the height of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. And the WaPo basically said 'yep, Obama cut that that shit by three-quarters, how cool is that?!?'

Fuck this 'fact checking'. People wonder why conservatives hate 'mainstream' news? Reason #345,965
Last edited by: Brownie28: Mar 1, 17 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one Trump has stated before and that is really a head shaker is that there are 94 million Americans out of the labor force.

It turns out, these are mostly the retired, students, disabled and stay at home parents. This isn't an accident, the speech writers would have pored over this for days or weeks, and they clearly would have known it's complete nonsense.

Not only do people not care, they say how great the speech was and how Presidential Trump looked while reading.

It's a strange world where facts just don't matter and the people who point them out are demonized.

Sad.
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's speech.... [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Meanwhile Obama said something that is a flat-out lie,

That can't be. Presidents have almost never made misleading statements during their addresses to Congress. It says so right there in the article.

Fuck this 'fact checking'. People wonder why conservatives hate 'mainstream' news? Reason #345,965

Yup.

Basically, they "fact checked" his address and concluded it was biased in exactly the same way the mainstream media is biased. He presented factually correct statements that were packaged in such a way as to be somewhat misleading in order to advance his agenda. The media is expert in that practice.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's speech.... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
The one Trump has stated before and that is really a head shaker is that there are 94 million Americans out of the labor force.

It turns out, these are mostly the retired, students, disabled and stay at home parents. This isn't an accident, the speech writers would have pored over this for days or weeks, and they clearly would have known it's complete nonsense.

Not only do people not care, they say how great the speech was and how Presidential Trump looked while reading.

It's a strange world where facts just don't matter and the people who point them out are demonized.

Sad.
Wait...who's demonizing them? I ask for consistency. In my response didn't I say Trump deserved to be called out for what I highlighted? And the 94 million figure is a joke too, it's massaging numbers to make a point and it's bullshit. He's hardly the first politician to do this, however, and when Dems do it it's glossed over or excused away. I could cite dozens of examples with Obama but then I'd be accused of '...but but but Obama'.

All I ask is consistency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing gets by you, cerveloguy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Sad.

Bullshit. That number has been around for years because it's the number that mostly simply couldnt find work but the last administration refused to count when putting out false unemployment numbers.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Sad.

Since you seem to have that info so handy and I have no reason to think it's not accurate would you mind providing the numbers that make up that 1/3 of our population. Does it include children under the age of 16 and if so what are those figures, those over 65?

I agree statistics don't lie but liars use statistics. Similar to whatever our unemployment rate is, that's another statistic that's misleading at best.

Our current unemployment rate is 4.2 percent. roughly 15,000,000 of the total population, but it's not 4.2% of the total population is it.

Which is more misleading or dishonest, the way our government portrays our unemployment rate or what the, what's the new word we're using to describe the single most powerful man in the world today,,,,, a carney?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's speech.... [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Sad.

Wait...who's demonizing them? I ask for consistency. In my response didn't I say Trump deserved to be called out for what I highlighted? And the 94 million figure is a joke too, it's massaging numbers to make a point and it's bullshit. He's hardly the first politician to do this, however, and when Dems do it it's glossed over or excused away. I could cite dozens of examples with Obama but then I'd be accused of '...but but but Obama'.

All I ask is consistency.

I say this all the time. I just watched a John Oliver clip about the Rep plan to replace the ACA and in it he said that when Obama said "If you like your doctor you can keep them. Period" and "If you like your plan you can keep it. Period" he was merely misleading the public and not outright lying. Yet whenever Trump lies he calls him out, and I have no issue with that I just wish he would do the same to the Dems when they lie. Most of the media operates just like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
...a lot of b.s. and outright mistakes. But that should be no surprise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.ff23c12aa4a3

Here's AP's cut at it.

Some that have been repeatedly shot down in the past:

TRUMP: "We've saved taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars by bringing down the price" of the F-35 jet fighter.
THE FACTS: The cost savings he persists in bragging about were secured in full or large part before he became president.
The head of the Air Force program announced significant price reductions in the contract for the Lockheed F-35 fighter jet Dec. 19 - after Trump had tweeted about the cost but weeks before he met the company's CEO about it.

TRUMP: "Since my election, Ford, Fiat-Chrysler, General Motors, Sprint, Softbank, Lockheed, Intel, Walmart and many others have announced that they will invest billions of dollars in the United States and will create tens of thousands of new American jobs."
THE FACTS: Trump is taking credit for corporate jobs decisions that largely predate his election. In the case of Intel, construction of the Chandler, Arizona, factory referred to by Trump actually began during Barack Obama's presidency. The project was delayed by insufficient demand for Intel's high-powered computer chips, but the company now expects to finish the factory within four years because it anticipates business growth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#fakecheck

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's speech.... [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Sad.

Bullshit. That number has been around for years because it's the number that mostly simply couldnt find work but the last administration refused to count when putting out false unemployment numbers.

As usual you are full of shit. Here is the data.

https://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat35.htm

Specifically for 2016. (all numbers are in thousands)
Total not in the labor force: 94,351
Do NOT want a job now: 88,502
Want a job: 5,849

52 MILLION people over 55 do NOT want a job.
21 MILLION people 25-54 do NOT want a job.
15 MILLION people 16-24 do NOT want a job.

5.8 MILLION who DO WANT a job.
CategoryTotalAgeSex2015201616 to 24
years25 to 54
years55 years
and overMenWomen2015201620152016201520162015201620152016
Total not in the labor force
Do not want a job now(1)
Want a job(1)
Did not search for work in previous year
Searched for work in previous year,
but not in past 4 weeks(2)
Not available to work now
Marginally attached (available to work now)(3)
Discouraged over job
prospects(4)
Reasons other than discouragement
Family responsibilities
In school or training
Ill health or disability
Other(5)

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply