Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump Says He’s Open to Legal Pathway for Undocumented Immigrants... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the devil is in the details...

It is way too early to say what Trump will end up doing and maybe it will work but he seems to be walking a fence (no pun intended). I haven't heard one thing about going after employers, which is the one thing that would work. Last night, it seemed he suddenly shifted to amnesty, a position that is not going to play well to his base. I think the Democrats will be happy with the shift but it's not at all what he campaigned on. I bet there will be lots of clarification on what he really meant but to be honest, right now it's a coin flip trying to figure out where he stands.

It's not like a fight with the media, or how many rounds of golf he plays, this is a big issue for his supporters. Other than jobs, probably the biggest one that got him elected.

Quote Reply
Re: Trump Says He’s Open to Legal Pathway for Undocumented Immigrants... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and keep on mind that this is a "leaked" story in the NYTimes.

We don't even know if it's true.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Says He’s Open to Legal Pathway for Undocumented Immigrants... [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
j p o wrote:
"So it looks like he's talking about legalizing the 11 or 12 million immigrants who are here illegally as long as they haven't committed subsequent crimes,"

He said he would eliminate the illegal alien problem, he didn't say how. This is like asking a genie for a wish. Poof, they are now all legal, therefore no illegal aliens in the US.

Between this issue and health care, it will be interesting to see how long the love affair with Republicans and Trump lasts.

Well - and how long it'll take for Dem's to hop on board the Trump train. I mean, kinda the same idea right?

He seems to be taking a mid-line approach, a pragmatic approach to governing. EO's where he can to hardline on border security, deportation of criminal illegal immigrants, the travel ban. Otherwise he'll work for policy changes that both sides can agree on. In other words: take the small win for R's where possible, then negotiate for the larger reform packages. I don't mind this at all.

What does concern me is the spending proposals without a plan to pay for them. He needs to deliver a budget proposal. People have been shitting on him for a few weeks for not having a budget proposal but Obama's 2009 budget didn't get published until Feb 26th so Trump isn't too far behind that. Get it on paper and public, then let's see how things look. Nothing really matters until we see how he intends to pay for the spending, imo.

It is really hard to get a grasp on where he is going. I'm not sure if he has actual positions on issues or not. He took positions on things when he was in his 50's that are very different from now. Has he changed positions or was it political expediency?

Some appointments in particular disturb me, Bannon, Pruitt, Devos, Sessions for instance. But at this point it is hard to tell if they are there because they reflect his policy stances or for some other reason.

He talked close to universal health care in the campaign, he never talked legalization/amnesty before now, he never indicated anything against states legalizing marijuana that I am aware of but Sessions now seems to be going after it, ....

I believe I used the term pig in a poke before. I just don't think anyone knows where he stands on a lot of issues.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Says He’s Open to Legal Pathway for Undocumented Immigrants... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lets just annex Mexico as the 51st State. (Just replying to last post in thread)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Says He’s Open to Legal Pathway for Undocumented Immigrants... [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
j p o wrote:
"So it looks like he's talking about legalizing the 11 or 12 million immigrants who are here illegally as long as they haven't committed subsequent crimes,"

He said he would eliminate the illegal alien problem, he didn't say how. This is like asking a genie for a wish. Poof, they are now all legal, therefore no illegal aliens in the US.

Between this issue and health care, it will be interesting to see how long the love affair with Republicans and Trump lasts.

Isn't that what amnesty is? Poof! you guys are legal? It was getting serious consideration among all parties because it is the easiest path to resolving the illegal alien problem.

Well yeah. But is that what he was saying before? I'm open to being wrong, but wasn't his rhetoric around deportations and not amnesty?

Amnesty is interesting in who supports it. It seems to not be a straight party divide. There are some on each side that think it makes perfect sense while others on each side think it is a horrible idea. Me, I find myself on both sides, sometimes at the same time. But more often I think I tend to fall on the 'no' side. It isn't an easy question.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump Says He’s Open to Legal Pathway for Undocumented Immigrants... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It most assuredly was not what his campaign rhetoric was based on, and it most certainly is an option that most of his base is vehemently opposed to. (Maybe not if their guy is proposing it.) It was one of the biggest knocks against Rubio, just like it's been one of the biggest knocks against much of the Republican establishment- they talk big about immigration reform and border security, but when it comes time to do something, they fall back to "comprehensive immigration reform," which always amounts to amnesty, no border security.

It's really hard to see how this doesn't equate to a basically open southern border.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply

Prev Next