Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carpentry / Stairs Questions
Quote | Reply
I'm finishing up the final detail work on my new staircase to the family room.

At the top is a carpet-covered concrete slab. Eventually, I'll put down wood or ceramic time (color undecided at this point) to replace the carpet. I don't know when. The treads are oak and risers are poplar. Any ideas for what to do for the threshold from the carpeted floor down to the first step? If you were building the stairs, what approach would you select?

- Make my own nosing, screw it to the topmost riser, then wrap a bit of carpet around it - leaving the painted riser uncovered by the carpet
- Buy a wood flooring threshold/nosing piece and glue it to the concrete, trimming the carpet to butt against it
- Make my own oak top step/nosing, approximately the size of a tread, and glue it to the concrete, trimming the carpet to butt against it
- Something else?

Two other questions, though not as important at this time:

- In what order would you suggest finishing the wood: stain & seal treads, prime risers/trim, paint risers/trim? Prime, stain, paint, seal? Prime, stain, seal, paint?
- Suggestions for attaching the railing to the newel post? Right now I'm looking at a ZipBolt Angled Railbolt fastener.

I know there are a few carpenters here, hopefully they'll chime in. Anyone else in the know - feel free to comment as well. Thanks.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Carpentry / Stairs Questions [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having the carpet go over the nosing would probably look best.

Everything should've been finished before it was installed, just leaving minor touch ups. Since you've installed it, I would finish the wood first and then do the painting as it's easier to clean up paint than stain/poly.
Quote Reply
Re: Carpentry / Stairs Questions [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback.

Treads are cut and fitted, but not yet installed. Railing and newels are going up this weekend.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply