Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Work Idiocracy...
Quote | Reply
It's been brought to my attention by a manager that pallets are not being packed & shipped properly to our location. Herein all suppliers must now pack pallet goods in a manner where all product codes are visible.

Just as an FYI, our business' primary focus is rapidly locating & procuring product for unit down equipment. I don't know much, but I do know if that minimum wage pallet packer gets told bullshit like "make sure the dumbasses can see those item numbers" our fucking lead time is going up.

Nothing worse than managers that are made of asbestos. Can't fire 'em, can't breathe around but we still have to put up with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Work Idiocracy... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your business is to rapidly locate and procure product for unit down equipment doesn't it help to have the product codes visible so you don't have to break open every pallet to see what is in it. Wouldn't that help you locate stuff fast as it comes in? Or do you routinely empty every pallet right when it comes in?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Work Idiocracy... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never ever assume what you see on the outside of a pallet is what's packed in the middle of the pallet. Not ever. It's improper stock receiving at the extreme.

(eta)

The majority of our pallets come in mixed with stock and emergency orders. Breaking the pallet and sorting it is the best approach, find the EO's first deal with stock 2nd. Pissing and moaning about not being able to see part numbers that should be properly verified first just plain stupid - go back to the office and find something to do that won't damage the business. Like go on facebook and message your friends.
Last edited by: racin_rusty: Feb 23, 17 16:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Work Idiocracy... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know why, but that's funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to pack boxes on pallets and we had to have the labels out. It wasn't hard to do quickly.

The warm bodies will figure it out.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Feb 23, 17 18:22
Quote Reply
Re: Work Idiocracy... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good, and by figure it out you mean take longer to do it - you may not think that's what you mean - but that is the consequence. What's more efficient? 4 guys making 100 perfect pallets or 1 guy unpacking 3 or 4 imperfect pallets? I can tell you right now I'd rather spend 10 extra minutes unpacking a pallet rather than waiting an extra 24 hours just so the pallet is perfect and pretty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No I meant what I said. They'll be slightly slower. Then they will get faster.

It isn't rocket science.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
No I meant what I said. They'll be slightly slower. Then they will get faster.

It isn't rocket science.

Literally
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Good, and by figure it out you mean take longer to do it - you may not think that's what you mean - but that is the consequence. What's more efficient? 4 guys making 100 perfect pallets or 1 guy unpacking 3 or 4 imperfect pallets? I can tell you right now I'd rather spend 10 extra minutes unpacking a pallet rather than waiting an extra 24 hours just so the pallet is perfect and pretty.

Why do you hate blue collar workers? The number of pallets I've stacked, hand wrapped and banded is probably in the high four figures. If this slows them down to the point it is taking an extra day to get product to you, it's done intentionally to piss off someone.
Quote Reply
Re: Work Idiocracy... [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one supplier this goof ball is squawking about has a phenomenally low error rate. We get 1-2 pallets a day with 50-100 lines of items from this place, and if there's a shortage from them we immediately assume we've made a receiving error. They just don't screw up, the pallet might be a bit messy - but I can guarantee you 99.9% of the time that if the packing slip says it's on the pallet, it's the pallet.

There's bigger shit in this world going to worry than going off on a rant over a pallet because it isn't packed perfectly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

There's bigger shit in this world going to worry than going off on a rant over a pallet because it isn't packed perfectly.

Yes, there is bigger shit. They are being forced to do what every other packing company already does. Boo fucking hoo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You've discovered an argument that can be used in all situations. Yes, officer I was going 60 mph in a 35 zone but maybe you weren't aware that there's bigger shit in this world going on. Yes, honey, I was going to clean the basement but maybe you weren't aware . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Work Idiocracy... [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

That's gold, Jerry!! Gold, I tell you!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why on earth would it matter if all the item numbers were visible, the asshat was supposed to break the pallet, check it off & put it away. Instead he danced around for 1/2 an hour bitching about how he couldn't see all of the item numbers for the yellow touchless car wash soap, the very pink regular car wash soap and the very white cooling lubricant. Jesus H Christ - it's not rocket science, review the packing slip, break it down, check it off, put it a - fucking-way like you're supposed too.

Today, he was bound and determined to accept a return on a full gas cylinder even after I explained to him that we've already been told by the supplier which we are a depot for that under no circumstance do we accept cylinder "as unused" returns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Pissing and moaning about not being able to see part numbers that should be properly verified first just plain stupid - go back to the office and find something to do that won't damage the business. Like go on Slowtwitch and bitch about it.

Fixed it for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Work Idiocracy... [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! At least I'm not doing it on work time like the rest of you biotches!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You Sir should not be in business ! This is the 21 st century , I have worked with & for Fortune 500 companies for many years at multiple facilities & DC's across the country & worldwide. This kind of thinking will just get you to lose customers & future business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is some work idiocracy for you...I work for a larger retail company, we have a lot of shrink, just part of doing business.

Our corporate loss prevention dept came up with a program that categorizes shrink/loss into three categories "above the zone", "below the zone" and "in the zone". Each location is grouped together with similar sized stores with comparable sales and a shrink plan is assigned to each location each month for categories that need attention.

*Above the zone= higher shrink losing too much or over group avg
*Below the zone= shrink is much lower than group avg, not enough shrink resulting in loss of sales and profits
*in the zone= everything is good

Its pretty common for us to have category that is "in the zone" that may be showing $1500 per month loss...but hey that's ok because it's in the zone and inline with group avg so no worries.

Then we have our "above the zone" category that has shown as little as a $6 loss for the month. Which is NOTHING when we are doing over 2 million per month in sales at my location. Yet we have to run reports track where this $6 is going and write out an action plan on what we are doing to get that shit back in line and in the zone, all because there is a shrink auditor that shows up monthly to check...6 Fucking Dollars!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Work Idiocracy... [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why? Because some fucktard manager doesn't know how to break down, check off and store a pallet properly? That asshat is on his last legs. You're just an example of the culture of big business - no understanding of what's really important. Maybe you've never heard of them - the name they have is customer... They pay the bills.
Quote Reply
Re: Work Idiocracy... [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
Here is some work idiocracy for you...I work for a larger retail company, we have a lot of shrink, just part of doing business.

Our corporate loss prevention dept came up with a program that categorizes shrink/loss into three categories "above the zone", "below the zone" and "in the zone". Each location is grouped together with similar sized stores with comparable sales and a shrink plan is assigned to each location each month for categories that need attention.

*Above the zone= higher shrink losing too much or over group avg
*Below the zone= shrink is much lower than group avg, not enough shrink resulting in loss of sales and profits
*in the zone= everything is good

Its pretty common for us to have category that is "in the zone" that may be showing $1500 per month loss...but hey that's ok because it's in the zone and inline with group avg so no worries.

Then we have our "above the zone" category that has shown as little as a $6 loss for the month. Which is NOTHING when we are doing over 2 million per month in sales at my location. Yet we have to run reports track where this $6 is going and write out an action plan on what we are doing to get that shit back in line and in the zone, all because there is a shrink auditor that shows up monthly to check...6 Fucking Dollars!!!

Sounds like this manager I'm dealing with is a perfect fit! He's so process driven that he has high paid personnel shoveling walks because it's "not fair" for the lower paid people to do it all the time. In fact he feels that if a customer asks for the highest paid snow shovel in Canada gets a customer specific call - we're to take a message since "there's nothing so important that it can't wait until tomorrow" . BTW just for HiKai or what ever - super manager worked for no less than 2 of those Fortune 500's... yet has no clue how to utilize the most important asset of the business - the employees.
Quote Reply