Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

this is us
Quote | Reply
Anybody else watching this? Easily the best programming I've seen on network TV. It gets a bit cheesy at time, but in general the writing and acting is outstanding. My wife was openly sobbing last night.
Quote Reply
Re: this is us [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was about to watch it last night after hearing good reviews, but my wife turned to me and said "I don't want to cry tonight." So we changed the channel. Have to give it a try another night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and several of her friends watch the show. Judging from her conversations, they all sob for the duration of the show, and for some time afterwards... and then again whenever they discuss a recent episode or see commercials for the next episode.

I've never found crying to be a particularly enjoyable experience, so I guess that I'll just never understand good entertainment.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my wife and i watch and enjoy the show. we record it and tend to watch on nights when she doesn't mind crying.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: this is us [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife watches it and does no crying, I'm not sure what the eff is wrong with y'alls wives?
Quote Reply
Re: this is us [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You and your wife are dead inside.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: this is us [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
You and your wife are dead inside.

Her, Probably. Me, Certainly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Anybody else watching this? Easily the best programming I've seen on network TV. It gets a bit cheesy at time, but in general the writing and acting is outstanding. My wife was openly sobbing last night.

Agreed. Been watching from the beginning. I think I have teared up during about 80% of the episodes. Not many drama on TV that aren't lawyer, cop or hospital based. This one seems to really hit the mark.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: this is us [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
Was about to watch it last night after hearing good reviews, but my wife turned to me and said "I don't want to cry tonight." So we changed the channel. Have to give it a try another night.

The series will make a lot more sense if you watch it from the beginning. If not that, at least watch the first episode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a fantastic show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh. The wife and I watched the first couple episodes and lost interest. Network TV just doesn't cut it anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, easily one of the best shows on TV right now and in the recent past. The storytelling is exceptional, the concept of weaving backstories that cross generations is unique, and the acting (for the most part) is solid.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: this is us [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Meh. The wife and I watched the first couple episodes and lost interest. Network TV just doesn't cut it anymore.

So what am I missing on cable TV that is significantly better than this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:

So what am I missing on cable TV that is significantly better than this?

So many good shows that I don't even know where to start. Not just cable but original programming on Netflix, Amazon, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

In the case of my wife and I, "This Is Us" really is us. Our last name is "Pearson".

Great show.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a synopsis of the show? What other shows would you compare it to (unless it's a totally unique concept)?

I've never heard of it. Wife and I are plowing through House of Cards but will probably pick something new up in a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started watching a couple weeks ago and love it. We enjoy how they show someone's action and then show you how the mindset for the action was formed or influenced growing up. Also starting to like how they show a scene and then in a later scene show it again in a different vein or reason for the scene. Whether it is the main characters, the fireman, or the woman on the bus. It is enjoyable storytelling.

Although there is a ton of drama, it has not yet felt melodramatic. We are sick of melodrama, whereas this feels like real people with good subtle touches. Though it was funny when he tried talking the woman into coming to Thanksgiving by saying what was going on with the family.
Quote Reply
Re: this is us [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Do you have a synopsis of the show? What other shows would you compare it to (unless it's a totally unique concept)?

Parenthood was somewhat similar but the way they are weaving the story together is really unique. Done by the same guy that did 30 Something if you're old enough to remember that.

Hard to give much of a synopsis without giving away plot twists. It's basically the story of a family and the things they are going through with a lot of flashbacks to reveal how they got to where they are today. I think what makes it is character development. I can't remember knowing and caring about characters like this.

I'm not a particularly sentimental or emotional guy, but this show has made my eyes well up multiple times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally started watching this. The last few months I basically watch Walking Dead and nothing else for regular TV, maybe a couple of movies a month and a couple Curb Your Enthusiasm episodes, but have wanted to greatly cut back on screen time to have no more than 1-2 shows that I watch regularly at any one time.

Dammit, I'm hooked. The writing is phenomenal. Character development is beautiful, but restrained enough to be careful. I love that the morals are not heavy handed. It took all of 1/2 of an episode to grab me personally, grappling with some of the same abandonment issues from a biological father and "proving" one's self into adulthood. I'll be honest -- I haven't sobbed at This is Us but I have welled up with tears and had a lump in my throat. Great storytelling looks like this.

Another show that had subtle and nuanced writing was Rectify. The final season wrapped up not long ago but was one of the most well-written character driven shows I've watched. I'd recommend it if you haven't seen it. The last few episodes were a little choppier but still good, presumably choppier because of the writer's desire to more quickly tie up the story after it wasn't renewed.
Quote Reply
Re: this is us [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being preempted tonight.

Thanks Trump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was painful. Tears in my eyes starting at the second scene that lead to full on ugly-face sobbing by the end. It is such an amazing show - well written and beautifully written.
Quote Reply