Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

California - Gov Brown and the Legislature and Criminals
Quote | Reply
This just pisses me off to no end. The Governor and the Legislature put in place AB109 and passed Props 47 & 57 - what the hell did they think would happen? How anyone can vote for this nonsense is just beyond me. Don't want to build more prisons? Fine, ship the prisoners off to other states who will happily house them at a far lower cost per prisoner that California. Just let them out - then take responsibility for these acts and get used to it. Friggin' morons.

Check this out! (via ABC7 Los Angeles local news iOS app) Whittier police officer's suspected killer identified http://abc7.com/...-identified/1765914/
Quote Reply
Re: California - Gov Brown and the Legislature and Criminals [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mejia was released under AB 109. What was his original conviction? Did that conviction justify extended incarceration, in itself, in state prison?

I don't know the answers, but I think they're relevant before drawing any conclusions.

And yes, there will be people released who will commit further crimes, some of those crimes will be heinous. But a few incidents does mean the idea behind the legislation and the propositions was wrong. California has a serious prison population problem, exacerbated by people being locked up under mandatory sentencing guidelines that lock people up for long periods for relatively minor crimes.

Do you think the status quo, pre 109 and the propositions, was appropriate. If so, why, and where does it end? And if not, what is your solution?
Quote Reply
Re: California - Gov Brown and the Legislature and Criminals [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robbery, GTA, arrested 5 times since release for various parole violations, known gang member. Build more prisons and/or send prisoners to other states who will house them at a much lower cost than CA; overturn Obama's EO closing for-profit prisons (they, not surprisingly, operate at much more efficient cost rates). Oh yeah, don't let these assholes out early and reincarcerate if they violate probation/parole.

It's really not that complicated. If you want to carry the usual liberal Californians argument that the cost is more important, what do you think the taxpayer cost is now that we have a dead Police Officer and another in the hospital?

But there is no argument the CA legislators or Governor will hear. Like you, they're fine with a some dead cops and a some dead innocent citizens here and there as a result; doesn't mean these Props shouldn't exist, after all, it's not as if they have a responsibility to protect the citizens and LEOs.
Quote Reply
Re: California - Gov Brown and the Legislature and Criminals [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Robbery, GTA, arrested 5 times since release for various parole violations, known gang member. Build more prisons and/or send prisoners to other states who will house them at a much lower cost than CA; overturn Obama's EO closing for-profit prisons (they, not surprisingly, operate at much more efficient cost rates). Oh yeah, don't let these assholes out early and reincarcerate if they violate probation/parole.

It's really not that complicated. If you want to carry the usual liberal Californians argument that the cost is more important, what do you think the taxpayer cost is now that we have a dead Police Officer and another in the hospital?

But there is no argument the CA legislators or Governor will hear. Like you, they're fine with a some dead cops and a some dead innocent citizens here and there as a result; doesn't mean these Props shouldn't exist, after all, it's not as if they have a responsibility to protect the citizens and LEOs.

I tried to be respectful in my response. And I was about to respond in the same manner here. Until I read you post that you think I'm fine with dead cops and dead innocent civilians. My response to that is that you should just fuck off, you fucking cunt. You're not worth the response. I won't engage with some irrational fuckwad like you. Funny thing is, we're probably not that far about on these issues. The difference is you.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Feb 21, 17 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Criminals' lives matter, yours don't!

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: California - Gov Brown and the Legislature and Criminals [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. I re-read my response to you and can't find a single 'f' word, 'c' word or other derogatory statement directed at you. You stated, "And yes, there will be people released who will commit further crimes, some of those crimes will be heinous. But a few incidents does mean the idea behind the legislation and the propositions was wrong."

I took that to mean you accept collateral damage which will cost LEOs and innocent civilians their lives. I don't accept this collateral damage. I apologize if you took this as a shot at you personally (I understand why you did and I should've phrased it in a less accusatory way) - I hear that argument all the time here in CA and this topic is a very personal and sensitive one for me for reasons I choose not to elaborate on in this forum.

I should've said - I don't agree with your argument and I, personally, am not willing to accept the rise in crimes, some of them heinous, in trade for saving on prison costs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  No, you didn't use profanity. But who gives a shit about that. You did Say you think I'm fine with police are in a civilian been killed. If you don't think that's a derogatory comment, then I don't know what to say.

And I didn't say the collateral damage is fine. I didn't even make an argument. I asked a question based upon my understanding of the situation.

It really is a 'gainst my better judgment to continue to engage on this. Because I don't think you're someone who is willing to engage rationally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very poor journalism here. His "priors" don't explain why he was in Pelican Bay. Robbery is serious, but GTA? That can be a misdemeanor in Cali. Also talks about vandalism and resisting "charges," but charges aren't priors and don't enhance sentencing, IIRC.

That history would help explain why he was released early. Also, how early was he released? Don't know. Same result could have happened if he served his full sentence. Again, don't know.

So not clear it's the prop fault per se. I don't agree with early release, or in many cases any release ever, but I'm just responding to the OP's premise.

Here's the irony. Because the officers failed to expire this POS, he will likely stand trial, be sentenced to death, and the automatic appeals will cost way more than life incarceration. He could plead, to avoid that, but I suspect the law enforcement community will want a jury conviction. He'll probably end up doing life anyway.

Very sad and tragic case on so many levels. It also will, regrettably, get very little media coverage going forward. Certainly not the amount of coverage the case deserves.

EDIT - Here's better coverage of his priors. http://www.latimes.com/...-20170221-story.html
Last edited by: jw13: Feb 21, 17 18:15
Quote Reply
Re: California - Gov Brown and the Legislature and Criminals [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the additional information. It's heartbreaking to see the response from the Police, Sheriff, and AD offices in the state regarding AB109 and the Propositions that are putting these folks back on the streets. As frustrating as this is for me as a CA resident I cannot imagine the frustration of LEOs in the state as our Governor and Legislature work against them; and it's only going to get worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a very emotional topic for me, I'll admit. And I do apologize for jumping to conclusions re your response. Believe it or not, it takes a lot to anger me and this topic has done so here in CA. OTOH, I suppose I should be flattered one of the popular kids on the LR campus called me a fucking cunt and fucking asshole - maybe I'll get some street cred from the other popular kids on the LR campus. Or maybe not - who knows around here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CA is such a mess top to bottom. All they've ever done is strip legal gun owners of their rights while becoming more and more lenient on criminals.
Quote Reply