Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Those who know about Chinese culture [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes me sad that there are people who only know Eddie Murphy from Pluto Nash and Norbit.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Those who know about Chinese culture [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Answer me this. Is it normal behaviour for Chinese women to hold hands or walk arm in arm in public?
Yes. Saw it all over Shanghai last summer. I tend to see it amongst a few other Asian groups locally. No big deal.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
No big deal.

I never said it was a big deal.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Those who know about Chinese culture [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Makes me sad that there are people who only know Eddie Murphy from Pluto Nash and Norbit.

I don't know what either of those titles are.

He was pretty funny back in the day. I also enjoyed 'charley Murphy's true Hollywood stories' on Chappelle's show.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has been a long time since I was there, but when we went to a disco only girls danced with girls and the guys with guys. It was pretty weird, the guy part. Didnt mind the ladies with each other, and had to turn down a couple offers with the dudes, just couldn't bring myself locking in on some sweaty guy.

So having seen all that, not surprised to hear that women are that close in public, even just friends. Probably has changed a bit since I was there, but those things take a couple generations to really change or disappear.

And the line thing was true, but the weirdest thing I encountered was being on a large ship going downriver, early in the morning all by myself leaning against a rail and admiring the scenery, and having a Chinese guy come along and push right up next to me, actually touching my shoulder with his. I asked later from my interpreter what was up with that, he had the whole rail to do his thing while I did mine. She said that the people had no concept of personal space from living is such a crowded culture, and it just never occurred to him to stake out his own place on the rail. In fact he probably would have felt weird to be there all alone with me also there.

Personal space I learned is not a right, at least in China. Kind of cool to get in the head of a completely foreign culture and see why they do this and that. Probably good if our leaders did the same thing too, probably wouldn't have been in so many of these losing wars the past 50+ years...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I chaperoned a class trip for my daughter (grade 11 physics) visiting a university and doing a few other things for three days. I had 5 girls in my van. Two exchange students one from South Korea the other from China. They were holding hands when out walking about. I thought it was cultural.

BLeP wrote:
Answer me this. Is it normal behaviour for Chinese women to hold hands or walk arm in arm in public?

I am assuming so, otherwise lesbianism is rampant among the Chinese based on what I see around these parts.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Those who know about Chinese culture [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In general the Chinese do not have the gene for lining up. They tend to bunch up and just flow through. Watching them drive in mainland China it's like a ballet. They don't line up and wait up they flow through, giving ground when needed. I was amazed at how little fender damage I saw for the chaos I witnessed in traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Those who know about Chinese culture [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"when we went to a disco only girls danced with girls and the guys with guys."

I was a part of the disco scene in the day. A regular Saturday Night Fever guy for a short while. I do remember girls dancing with girls but I sure as hell avoided any place where the guys were dancing with other guys.:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

I am assuming so, otherwise lesbianism is rampant among the Chinese based on what I see around these parts.

Not sure about China but it is, or was, in Korea.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Those who know about Chinese culture [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Not sure about China but it is, or was, in Korea.

I should have been more clear. The vast majority of the people I am calling Chinese that I see are actually from Hong Kong. It might be more prevalent in HK than in mainland China.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok well if you're talking Hong Kong, then I recall a whole lot of horking (/sp) and spitting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never went to regular China, only Little China. I don't recall any womens holding hands. I do remember that there was a lot of hubub about finding a Chinese girl with green eyes and Lo Pan lost his shit over her. Needless to say, there was big trouble.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Those who know about Chinese culture [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I never went to regular China, only Little China. I don't recall any womens holding hands. I do remember that there was a lot of hubub about finding a Chinese girl with green eyes and Lo Pan lost his shit over her. Needless to say, there was big trouble.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work for a Chinese company and this is definitely common among the younger generation. Especially in the more urban area. Not so much with rural crowd or older generations.

Quote | Reply
Yes, and men do it too. It is a sign of respect and friendship. Pda for hetero couples is typically frowned upon...but that was when I was there in 98.
Quote Reply

Prev Next