Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The "n" word [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Really? You don't think black people are capable of choosing not to be offended?

Your inability to understand the difference between the effects of openly calling black people niggers and calling white people crackers is yet another example of white privilege. Your whiteness gives you the benefit of being blissfuly ignorant without any real consequences.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: The "n" word [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, Artie Lang did this joke.

"I had heard that calling a little person a midget is the same as calling a black person a nigger. So I tried a little experiment one day........turns out its not the same."

Duffy, have you ever wondered why blacks get so offended by being called nigger, yet you don't get offended by being called a cracker? Since there's no difference whatsoever, I guess you just think that you're better than black people.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Your inability to understand the difference between the effects of openly calling black people niggers and calling white people crackers is yet another example of white privilege.

I do understand the difference. That's kind my entire point. The word nigger has power and the supposed attempt to de-power it is failing. I've said nothing different than that.

Also, you won't see anywhere in this thread where I mentioned "cracker".

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
BTW, Artie Lang did this joke.

"I had heard that calling a little person a midget is the same as calling a black person a nigger. So I tried a little experiment one day........turns out its not the same."

Duffy, have you ever wondered why blacks get so offended by being called nigger, yet you don't get offended by being called a cracker? Since there's no difference whatsoever, I guess you just think that you're better than black people.

I never compared nigger and cracker. And I don't think there's "no difference" between those two terms.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My choosing to not let words of others have power over me is an individual one.

My doing this has no bearing whatsoever on any group of people who share a certain skin color.

How you come up with me thinking that I'm "better than black people" because of my personal choice to not let words enrage me is a mystery to me.

It's like you think if someone calls me a bad word and I brush it off I walk away thinking to myself "My not caring about what that guy said makes so much better than black people!"

Really bizarre, even for you.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I do understand the difference. That's kind my entire point. The word nigger has power and the supposed attempt to de-power it is failing. I've said nothing different than that.

Also, you won't see anywhere in this thread where I mentioned "cracker".

Then what word is it exactly that's as bad as nigger that doesn't bother you?

Never mind, it doesn't exist. So what we are left with is *hypothetically* if you lived in a society where some words could be offensive to you, you wouldn't be offended because you're just that much better than all those black people who are offended.......except you didn't say that. Well then what did you say? Uh.....uh........well, not that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I said, repeatedly, that nigger is a word that has a lot of power over some people.

I also said that idea that pervasive use of the word (primarily by people of one race) would de-power it has failed. The word still holds a lot of power.

You asked how it could successfully be de-powered and I answered "I don't know" and then gave an example of how I deal with insults directed at me. That is a personal choice of mine and doesn't have any bearing on anyone else. It certainly doesn't make some sort of comment on an entire race of people.

You seem to be grasping for something to fight about here and it's pretty lame.

Let's review.

"Nigger" is a powerful word. Do you agree?

Also attempts to make "nigger" a less powerful word have failed. Do you agree?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And let's say that if I thought my choice not to be offended makes me "a better person" (I don't think that but just play along), my feeling of superiority wouldn't be confined to feeling that way over just black people. I'd be a better person than anyone who chooses to be offended regardless of race.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was playing in a coed soccer league a year or so ago. Mostly white people. Maybe a few Asians or Mexicans. No black people around for miles.
Goalkeeper (a chunky white guy) on the other team was talking trash all night. He and one of the females on my team were jarring back and forth. Her husband was on our team too. He didn't appreciate what the white goalie said to his wife. So he said "Shut the fuck up or I'll beat your ass. You fucking n-word".
Woahhh that escalated quickly. Referee cancelled the game at that point and sent everyone home.
The guy who said it was banned from our league. I don't think there is any other word he could have used that would have had the same consequence. He probably could have even just punched the guy and been able to play again after a few game suspension.
Quote Reply
Re: The "n" word [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did he say "fucking n-word" or did he say "fucking nigger"?

FWIW, I almost never use "n-word" in place of "nigger".

If you won't say the word then just don't say it.

"N-word " is fucking annoying.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next