Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The enemy of the american people [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
slowguy wrote:

Quote:
When listening to a speech, the human brain places undue emphasis or lack thereof on certain words, based on the manner in which they are delivered. This is why many lawyers -- myself included -- attend trial advocacy courses to learn the optimal manner for presenting the facts to the jury.

Right. And the optimal manner of presenting those facts is very frequently not in printed text. It's in court room delivery, body language, chosen sentence structure, tone, word emphasis, tempo, etc. And if a juror just read a transcript of what you said, they would be missing quite a lot of what you were trying to communicate.

Which is EXACTLY why you cannot jump to hyperbole like Dan is prone to do when he watches an over-animated Trump who isn't actually saying half the stuff Dan accuses him of saying.

Well, I would hope people wouldn't jump to hyperbole regardless of how the consume the news or the messages of politicians, but you know what they say about hoping in one hand and crapping in the other,...

That said, the manner in which any politician chooses to deliver his message says a lot about the message itself. If he chooses to dump it in a Tweet, or make a statement at a press conference, or make a speech at a rally, or talk about it in an interview, etc. The words he chooses, the tones, the verbal and physical mannerisms he uses, etc. These things all contribute to the message being communicated.

If a politician says, "I'm sure that immigrants in this country face a very important set of problems to overcome," the transcript tells one story. If the video of that statement shows the politician using air-quotes around the words "immigrants" and "problems" and using a sarcastic tone of voice when he says "I'm sure..." it tells an entirely different story. Taking the physical and verbal into account along with the text is necessary to understand the message being conveyed. Just reading the text would leave you ill informed.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: The enemy of the american people [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"You can try to distinguish that from what Trump has done in his first month in office, but you will only continue to look the fool."

chris wallace understands what you don't. john mccain understands what you don't. conservative columnists all over america understand what you don't.

what i think is good about this episode is that professional journalists, of all persuasions, are coming together. they understand what you don't. if you can't hear it from me, fine. maybe when you hear it from enough conservative journalists it may begin to sink in.

What YOU don't seem to understand and what John McCain doesn't seem to understand is that the Establishment GOP lost. The American people didn't want it in the White House. Rejected it outright. No matter how many rallies and hissy fits you Donkeys want to throw, no matter how many "get-off-my-lawn-shutters" John McCain wants to issue, the fact that Donald Trump was elected is sending a message.

He wasn't my guy. I am part of the Establishment GOP. But, John McCain -- great man and war hero that he is -- got his ass handed to him in a POTUS election, then had to violate his own campaign finance reform promises to win the latest election. So, pardon me for not holding him as a beacon of the Right.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
slowguy wrote:

Quote:
When listening to a speech, the human brain places undue emphasis or lack thereof on certain words, based on the manner in which they are delivered. This is why many lawyers -- myself included -- attend trial advocacy courses to learn the optimal manner for presenting the facts to the jury.

Right. And the optimal manner of presenting those facts is very frequently not in printed text. It's in court room delivery, body language, chosen sentence structure, tone, word emphasis, tempo, etc. And if a juror just read a transcript of what you said, they would be missing quite a lot of what you were trying to communicate.

Which is EXACTLY why you cannot jump to hyperbole like Dan is prone to do when he watches an over-animated Trump who isn't actually saying half the stuff Dan accuses him of saying.

Do you think Dan has ever seen the moon walking bear behind Trump?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"an over-animated Trump who isn't actually saying half the stuff Dan accuses him of saying."

like what?

Gee, I dunno ... this thread?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
but you're right, that doesn't absolve the fact that the media didn't accurately report what a clear reading of the plan made evident: if you have a shit plan, notwithstanding your love for your shit plan (because you hadn't yet triggered the shitty provisions of your shit plan) you're going to lose that plan. the law clearly stated this. this was clearly reported by all sides. what the president should have said is, if you like your plan you can keep it as long as it's not a shit plan. he didn't say that. not in the beginning. and two and two were not put together by most of the media.
That's one interesting reading of it. Another is that many bare-bones plans didn't have 100% coverage of a lot of preventative care, maternal, prenatal care, etc. I went through my late 20's with one of these 'shit plans' and I was happy as a fucking clam with it, millions of others were too. I'd rather have coverage for catastrophes and pay out-of-pocket for everything else and I know that's what many of these 'shit' plans allowed for. To be ACA compliant every plan needed a base of coverage, regardless of whether I or anyone else wanted it. One mans shit is another mans treasure, is what I'm saying. I'm sure people who're paying 500% more today than they were six years ago might take issue with your 'shit plan' idea.

Quote:
there were scads of articles by the media taking itself to task. and from that time until this there have been, in the "liberal" press, very critical, fact-based, dispassionate accountings of what has worked and what has not worked in the ACA.
Yep, ex post facto analysis, par for the course. Same with Benghazi, same with Hillary's campaign. This is nothing new, Dan, the media reports the news when a Democrat is in power, they largely agree with his/her aims and dig just deep enough to present facts. When shit hits the fan they dutifully cover the shit being sprayed everywhere and analyze what happened. Meanwhile proper coverage resembles what we see when Republicans are in power: legislation is presented, or an appointee is nominated, and it gets torn to shreds, analyzed every way to Sunday. Maybe it passes muster, maybe it doesn't, but the voting public knows all about it as events are unfolding. That's the way it SHOULD be done. It just isn't, and wasn't, when Obama and other Democrats are in power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
     Look up James Rosen, Fox reporter that was harassed and spied on (his parents as well) by the admin. Fox phones at the WH monitored by Obama guys. Even Holder said he regretted labeling Rosen as a co-conspirator, blah, blah. Rosen was just on one of the Fox shows giving his take on the Trump sins vs Obama, so you can find that too. (basically Trump so far has mostly just said stuff, Obama did lots of stuff) There were plenty more Obam admin abuses than you seem aware of. Feel free to throw this into your "but...but.." bucket.
-
At any rate, you are upset that many here are not up in arms about Trump's attacks on the media, but you have no standing really, because you've been quiet as a mouse for the previous admin's abuse. Truth is that most here are upset with Trump, but if they're like me, just not lining up to follow into battle someone who appears to be such a hypocrite on the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What YOU don't seem to understand and what John McCain doesn't seem to understand is that the Establishment GOP lost."

if a party's major mouthpieces tell its voting coalition to distrust science, and to distrust scholarship, distrust those who try to work with the other side and find consensus, you're going to end up with a coalition that makes bad choices.

most republicans think trump won the popular vote. 4 in 10 still think obama was not born in the U.S.
only a quarter of republicans think 2015's heat record was a result of man made climate change. half of republican don't believe in evolution.

if you keep feeding your coalition what you're feeding it, you will finally get the vote result you worked hard to get.

"He wasn't my guy."

maybe not. but he sure as shit is now.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Gee, I dunno ... this thread?"

according to you, i'm ascribing to trump more than twice the stuff he actually said. what?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"What YOU don't seem to understand and what John McCain doesn't seem to understand is that the Establishment GOP lost."

if a party's major mouthpieces tell its voting coalition to distrust science, and to distrust scholarship, distrust those who try to work with the other side and find consensus, you're going to end up with a coalition that makes bad choices.

Which is an entirely different argument than the one we are having here.

Slowman wrote:
most republicans think trump won the popular vote.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

"He wasn't my guy."

maybe not. but he sure as shit is now.

Hate to break this to you, big guy, but despite your #notmypresident bumper sticker, he's yours as well ...

Quote Reply
Re: The enemy of the american people [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"One mans shit is another mans treasure, is what I'm saying."

as long as you understand that your shit plan is really shit. the problem is when you don't, and you find that out at a very inconvenient time. what the floor should be, or if there should be a floor, is a different discussion.

"ex post facto analysis, par for the course."

i can see we're done here. and no offense. just, you have clearly made a decision not to trust professional journalism, and there's no coming off that for you. i find this unfortunate because you trust professional plumbing. doctoring. you trust professional engineers. you trust whatever it is you need, because you need it. journalism is a luxury you think you can afford to mistrust.

a number of people on the left and the right pick and choose which part of science they'll mistrust (climate change; childhood vaccinations; depletion of the ocean fisheries) because they don't immediately feel the effects of their mistrust. they have the luxury to mistrust. but they trust their oncologists! because they have to. they know they don't have the luxury of mistrusting him because he's got an inconvenient set of facts to tell.

professional journalists, mostly those who work for large daily newspapers, are just as good, just as professional, just as exacting. sometimes they get it wrong. just like your oncologist. but try fighting your cancer without your oncologist and your surgeon. go ahead, go to mexico for the holistic cure! i doubt you'll do that; rather you'll rely on lamestream medicine.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"he's yours as well"

you're right. and i'm not trying to say he isn't (as he tried to do to the last president.)

he may be my president, but he is your champion.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
he may be my president, but he is your champion.

Because I fail to garner bunched panties and decry him as the second coming of Hitler, he is my "champion."

Got it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Because I fail to garner bunched panties and decry him as the second coming of Hitler, he is my "champion.""

if he is not your champion, stop championing him.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Because I fail to garner bunched panties and decry him as the second coming of Hitler, he is my "champion.""

No one is defending or supporting him. We are making fun of you and your hysterics.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

No one is defending or supporting him. We are making fun of you and your hysterics.

you know who else used to make fun of people and their hysterics......HITLER!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"No one is defending or supporting him."

okay

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The enemy of the american people [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:

you know who else used to make fun of people and their hysterics......HITLER!!!!!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"No one is defending or supporting him."

okay

Why did you cut off the rest of my response?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because he has nothing. Did you see his lame list of LBJ "successes"? Let him wallow in his own mud.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had no idea you had a middle school aged kid.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a vehicle in President Donald Trump’s motorcade was struck by a “2×4” and five middle school students are now facing charges.
Palm Beach County Sheriff’s office spokeswoman Teri Barbera said in a statement Saturday that the incident happened Friday around 1:45 p.m.
Officers assisting the U.S. Secret Service reported that a vehicle in the motorcade had been struck by what was believed to be a small, hard object.

[/url]

Several members of the motorcade returned to the scene after completing the motorcade to look for witnesses and objects along the roadway.

http://www.seattletimes.com/...udents-face-charges/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I had no idea you had a middle school aged kid.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a vehicle in President Donald Trump’s motorcade was struck by a “2×4” and five middle school students are now facing charges.
Palm Beach County Sheriff’s office spokeswoman Teri Barbera said in a statement Saturday that the incident happened Friday around 1:45 p.m.
Officers assisting the U.S. Secret Service reported that a vehicle in the motorcade had been struck by what was believed to be a small, hard object.

[/url]

Several members of the motorcade returned to the scene after completing the motorcade to look for witnesses and objects along the roadway.http://www.seattletimes.com/...udents-face-charges/[/quote[/url]]

see this is how it starts........ first "the entire left wing and Democrats" (see how I smeared them all there) start to complain about a President using words........then they applaud demonstrators as "excersizing their rights"........ next thing you know they are responsible for violence and fascism and the downfall of our entire society.

Don't you find it amazing how gutless the entire Democratic party is by not speaking up and decrying this fascist act for what it is. These teenagers are really fanning the flames of fascism. People on the left really better figure out what side of the line they are on here before it's too late. Unless they are prepared to sentence these teenagers to death then the Left really are hypocirtes, the entire lot of them.

BTW, you know who else like to use 2x4's to make a point.....................
Quote Reply

Prev Next