Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RIP George The Animal Steele
Quote | Reply
I used to love watching wrestling when I was a kid, remember him eating the turnbuckle and always introduced as being "from parts unknown". Also had a master's degree in education and served as a high school principal in the Detroit area.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: RIP George The Animal Steele [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I used to love watching wrestling when I was a kid, remember him eating the turnbuckle and always introduced as being "from parts unknown". Also had a master's degree in education and served as a high school principal in the Detroit area.

He was the main feature at the one and only professional wrestling match I ever went to. Sadly I can't remember if he ate the turnbuckle or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endless matches in heaven with Macho Man for the affection of Miss Elizabeth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We used to have hypotheses about that guy in that he was some sort of PhD NASA rocket scientist. He was such an idiot on the WWF stage that we figured his real-life persona was the photo opposite.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite character! And as others have noted, I always figured he must have been pretty smart in real life.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: RIP George The Animal Steele [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:
Endless matches in heaven with Macho Man for the affection of Miss Elizabeth

Macho Man has been gone almost 6 years now? Piper & Snuka about 18 months apart

If I'm Tito Santana, Ricky Steamboat or Don Muraco, I'm looking over my shoulder

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: RIP George The Animal Steele [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
We used to have hypotheses about that guy in that he was some sort of PhD NASA rocket scientist. He was such an idiot on the WWF stage that we figured his real-life persona was the photo opposite.

I've mentioned it here before, but a friend of ours is the daughter of a former pro wrestler. She said that they used to be like a big family, traveling together and getting together at holidays.

Not surprisingly, she said that most (if not all) of them were very intelligent, considerate, and mild-mannered individuals that happened to play very animated, physical characters in the ring and on TV.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Followed by Ivan the Russian Bear today.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: RIP George The Animal Steele [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
We used to have hypotheses about that guy in that he was some sort of PhD NASA rocket scientist.

My dad said he was probably a University professor. It's funny how many people thought along those lines!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Working in the WWF/WWE doesn't seem to be a prescription for a long and healthy life. Google "Dead Wrestler List". Its shocking how young most of them were when they died, usually in 40's or 50's.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP George The Animal Steele [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:

I've mentioned it here before, but a friend of ours is the daughter of a former pro wrestler. She said that they used to be like a big family, traveling together and getting together at holidays.

Not surprisingly, she said that most (if not all) of them were very intelligent, considerate, and mild-mannered individuals that happened to play very animated, physical characters in the ring and on TV.

A college roommate of mine was the son of a wrestler. Said the same thing but said that Ric Flair was always on. WHOOOO!
Quote Reply
Re: RIP George The Animal Steele [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ric Flair was always on. WHOOOO

He had an incident here at Logan Airport a year or so ago where he either tripped and fell or passed out and hit his head, but was in character when dealing with EMTs, onlookers etc.

I used to work with a guy years ago whose son played on a youth soccer team with Steven Tyler's kid, said he showed up for a game once and stood on the sidelines with the other parents, but was dressed as if he was about to go onstage with the scarfs, tight silk pants, bandana and big sunglasses. Did his trademark scream whenever his kid made a good play on the field.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply