Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

vancouver island in march
Quote | Reply
Thinking of going to Bc in mid march with kids for spring break. Besides skiing what would be the best things to do? Likely go to the island but open to spending some time in Vancouver and area

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: vancouver island in march [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only skiing on the island is Mount Washington. Vancouver has several ski hills.

March is kind of peak rain season for those of us at sea level not much going on outdoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
March often gets our worst weather. Stormy, wet, sometimes snow. You could always head to the west coast for some storm watching. Tofino is great for that. Bring gortex.

Aside from that there's Mt Washington for skiing, lots of hiking, mountain biking, and the like, but as I mentioned in March, it might be ugly weather-wise.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weather sooo bad they move to east central Alberta to avoid it... Oh wait, other way around! Sorry for the confusion!
Quote Reply
Re: vancouver island in march [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
March often gets our worst weather. Stormy, wet, sometimes snow. You could always head to the west coast for some storm watching. Tofino is great for that. Bring gortex.

Aside from that there's Mt Washington for skiing, lots of hiking, mountain biking, and the like, but as I mentioned in March, it might be ugly weather-wise.

More like bring Impertech...

Also, royal bc museum, butterfly gardens, ocean discovery centre, tours of the Legislature and various "castles". Vancouver has science world. That's about all I can think of for indoor activities unique to Victoria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

ugly can be good. a lot of people go to Tofino to storm watch. and gnarly badassess surf Chesterman beach.

check out this place:
https://www.wickinn.com/

Quote Reply
Re: vancouver island in march [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

ugly can be good. a lot of people go to Tofino to storm watch. and gnarly badassess surf Chesterman beach.

check out this place:
https://www.wickinn.com/

Yes, as I mentioned, Tofino is great for storm watching. The Wickinninish is awesome, but quite pricey. Cox Bay resort is also really nice. We have a friend with a family house at the north end of town so we usually stay there.

Chesterman is a beginners spot. That's where losers like me go :-).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Chesterman is a beginners spot. That's where losers like me go :-)

dude, I was there in April and it was at most a one meter swell. however, I will STILL tell you that you're a badass if you got in that water. brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I also remember seeing a sign on the E-W road "CAUTION 17% GRADE AHEAD".
lmao, even in metric that's a lot. ;-)

of course right after we passed, there was some grizzled old dude on a fully loaded touring bike, standing on his pedals all the way to the top.

Quote Reply
Re: vancouver island in march [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
Quote:
Chesterman is a beginners spot. That's where losers like me go :-)

dude, I was there in April and it was at most a one meter swell. however, I will STILL tell you that you're a badass if you got in that water. brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I also remember seeing a sign on the E-W road "CAUTION 17% GRADE AHEAD".
lmao, even in metric that's a lot. ;-)

of course right after we passed, there was some grizzled old dude on a fully loaded touring bike, standing on his pedals all the way to the top.

Meh, the water is not that bad. I go in the fall and don't need a hood or gloves. The water temp barely changes year round. Some days I'd pull up at chesterman and like you said, no waves. Drive 2 minutes to Cox bay and the waves are 8'-10'. All those bays and beaches face slightly different directions.

I love surfing at long beach. It's so wide open and eerie, with the fog rolling in and out and that giant rock out in the beach, you feel totally alone out there, like you're just waiting to see a wolf creep out from the fog. Absolutely gorgeous.

As for the cycling, that would be a dream ride if it wasn't for the psycho drivers and all those blind corners. I don't know how some of the big summer tour busses negotiate those corners at those grades.

Quote Reply