Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bush Haiku
Quote | Reply
This is a poem made up entirely of actual quotations from George W. Bush, arranged for "aesthetic" purposes, by Washington Post writer Richard Thompson.
---------------------------------

MAKE THE PIE HIGHER!

I think we all agree, the past is over.
This is still a dangerous world.
It's a world of madmen and uncertainty
And potential mental losses.

Rarely is the question asked
Is our children learning?
Will the highways of the Internet
Become more few?
How many hands have I shaked?
They misunderestimate me.
I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity.
I know that the human being
And the fish can coexist.
Families is where our nation finds hope,
Where our wings take dream.

Put food on your family!
Knock down the tollbooth!
Vulcanize society!
Make the pie higher!

Make the pie higher!

Quote Reply
Re: Bush Haiku [vols fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm.

President Bush experiences, rather chronically, a lack of popular charisma and is not as articulate as some recent Presidents have been.

He has never been an articulate and inspiring salesman.

This does not mean his is not a wise and capable leader. It simply means that in an age where acting and camera appeal appears to be an adequate form of preparation for politics and leadership, that our current President may not be good in front of a crowd or a camera.

President Bush's eyes are set close together and his posture is sometimes hunched, especially when he gestures for emphasis. His vernacular sometimes smacks of Texas, and his drawlish accent brands him as a Westerner- a geographic region not renowned for its populace of intellectuals and intelligencia. He tends to squint frequently too. Also, he is not 6'4" tall. As a result, he cuts a less than authoratative figure. It is superficial to judge him as a leader on this.

But I am thankful for him, and I do not envy his position. He shoulders a complex and horrifying burden during awful times. His Presidency spans a period in human history that is more perilous to our species than any other period. It is a dreadful job.

President Bush is not the perfect leader. No U.S. President ever has been. He has made mistakes, and a President's mistakes are usually only excused after history has exacted a toll of death and destruction. But he is also not the stuttering, squinty-eyed rube some people make him out to be.

Not a day goes by when I don't feel for the man. Regardless of his privlege, his task is thankless, impossible to do entirely correctly, and brutally critiqued by legions who could not endure the first 15 minutes of his daily work load.

No U.S. President is perfect. Because they reflect the very society they lead: Yours and mine.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Nov 18, 05 17:50
Quote Reply
Re: Bush Haiku [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some points I agree, however, Bush appears to be a bully, does not allow for any discourse, anyone not in lockstop is not patriotic. I love this country, and what make it great is our ability to disagree.

A lot of the "Republican" values I can expouse: get big government out of my personal business, fiscal conservatism, school vouchers. However, I go believe that government should do more to help the poor, to much that is given, much is required.

Don't envy his job, but I don't like to be played.

Quote Reply