Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I dont want to call the court biased but...... [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright. But that's easily remedied, in either direction.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: I dont want to call the court biased but...... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watch with interest

I have no doubt she's through to the final round. Fillion has been on the take and macron apparently has a toy boy.

She may win if only because she's the last man standing - so to speak
Quote Reply
Re: I dont want to call the court biased but...... [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
I take it Trump is referring to what is Known as the McCarran-Walter Act, the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952 allows for the "Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by the President, whenever the President finds that the entry of aliens, or of any class of aliens, into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States. The President may, by proclamation, and for such a period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or non-immigrants, or impose any restrictions on the entry of aliens he may deem to be appropriate.

wasnt that changed in the 60s?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
I take it Trump is referring to what is Known as the McCarran-Walter Act, the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952 allows for the "Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by the President, whenever the President finds that the entry of aliens, or of any class of aliens, into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States. The President may, by proclamation, and for such a period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or non-immigrants, or impose any restrictions on the entry of aliens he may deem to be appropriate.

Media fails to mention democrat president "immigration bans":
http://www.thegatewaypundit.co...

Pretty clear to me. And yes the "so called" Judge is a political hack.

Except that it was amended by Hart-Celler Act of 1965, which prohibited restricting immigration by (among other things) national origin. So, maybe not so clear, huh?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: I dont want to call the court biased but...... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
I don't even have a problem with denying entry to people who have already traveled here on a visa, then gone back to one of those seven countries, then want to come back stateside. That does fit a pattern. But yeah, whether or not the order is intended to do that should be clear and consistent.

https://www.nytimes.com/...vel-ban-doctors.html

Quote:
Across the United States, more than 15,000 doctors are from the seven Muslim-majority countries covered by the travel ban, according to The Medicus Firm, a firm that recruits doctors for hard-to-fill jobs. That includes almost 9,000 from Iran, almost 3,500 from Syria and more than 1,500 from Iraq.

Dr. Hooman Parsi, an oncologist so talented that he has an O-1 visa granted to individuals with “extraordinary ability or achievement,” was to start seeing patients on Wednesday in San Bernardino, Calif.

A federal judge in Seattle lifted the administration’s travel ban on Friday, and a federal appeals court has declined to restore it. Yet Dr. Parsi is still stuck in Iran, waiting for a delayed visa amid the confusion while his American employer fumes.

“We need him desperately,” said Dr. Richy Agajanian, the managing partner of the Oncology Institute of Hope and Innovation, which had just hired him. “We had an office completely constructed — we spent three months on it, and it was supposed to open Feb. 1. Now we can’t open it. This is really sad and frustrating.”

The irony is that most of these doctors work in rural, poor, mainly Republican areas, because most American doctors don't want to work in these areas. With this ban, they will be even more underserved in health care. Elections have consequences.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by the President, whenever the President finds that the entry of aliens, or of any class of aliens, into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States. The President may, by proclamation, and for such a period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or non-immigrants, or impose any restrictions on the entry of aliens he may deem to be appropriate"

Based on that reading, Trump is right. It does appear to be biased court.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Feb 8, 17 11:01
Quote Reply
Re: I dont want to call the court biased but...... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
"Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by the President, whenever the President finds that the entry of aliens, or of any class of aliens, into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States. The President may, by proclamation, and for such a period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or non-immigrants, or impose any restrictions on the entry of aliens he may deem to be appropriate"

Based on that reading, Trump is right.

yeah, but, if he only continued reading to the decision that changed it....

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: I dont want to call the court biased but...... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elections have consequences.

We agree.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Elections have consequences.

We agree.

You still hold this view in light of that article?

Quote:
I don't even have a problem with denying entry to people who have already traveled here on a visa, then gone back to one of those seven countries, then want to come back stateside. That does fit a pattern.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I still hold that view.

I feel like I've laid out my position on this several times, so forgive me if this is repetitive. I don't agree with the ban. I think it's unnecessary, just like I think most of the security theater we've had foisted on us in the name of keeping us safe from terrorism is unnecessary. But I recognize that isn't the same thing as saying there's no risk of terrorism at all. I also think taking in refugees is the right thing to do, especially when we played a role in causing the events that led to them needing refuge in the first place. And yeah, I understand that some of the people affected would be nice to have in the country- but I also am not buying into the notion that the country just can't get by without a few thousand Iranian doctors, either.

But all that said, elections have consequences. Whether or not I agree with the ban is not the same thing as saying the president doesn't have the legal authority to enact it. I don't agree with it, but he does have that authority.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

I feel like I've laid out my position on this several times, so forgive me if this is repetitive. I don't agree with the ban. I think it's unnecessary, just like I think most of the security theater we've had foisted on us in the name of keeping us safe from terrorism is unnecessary. But I recognize that isn't the same thing as saying there's no risk of terrorism at all. I also think taking in refugees is the right thing to do, especially when we played a role in causing the events that led to them needing refuge in the first place. And yeah, I understand that some of the people affected would be nice to have in the country- but I also am not buying into the notion that the country just can't get by without a few thousand Iranian doctors, either.

But all that said, elections have consequences. Whether or not I agree with the ban is not the same thing as saying the president doesn't have the legal authority to enact it. I don't agree with it, but he does have that authority.

You hold the view that it is more important to guard against a danger that has not a single piece of evidence behind it than it is to avoid the demonstrable effect to deny health care to underserved populations. Got it.

Of course the country can get by without 15,000 banned physicians. It'll just have to do it with reduced health for many residents, and bearing a higher health care cost for the effort.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: I dont want to call the court biased but...... [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The President may, by proclamation, and for such a period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or non-immigrants, or impose any restrictions on the entry of aliens he may deem to be appropriate"

Based on that reading, Trump is right.

yeah, but, if he only continued reading to the decision that changed it....

I think the ban is ridiculous because the ones he is banning are not the risky ones and they have never carried out a terrorist attack. There is far greater risk from people currently in the U.S.

However, based on the quote I read, it appears the President is in his right if "he deems it to be appropriate".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You hold the view that it is more important to guard against a danger that has not a single piece of evidence behind it than it is to avoid the demonstrable effect to deny health care to underserved populations. Got it.

No, you exactly don't got it.

*I* don't think it's important to guard against the danger posed by immigrants from those seven countries. I am pretty sure I explicitly said that.

I think the president has the authority to do so, however.

Quote Reply
Re: I dont want to call the court biased but...... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the ban is ridiculous because the ones he is banning are not the risky ones and they have never carried out a terrorist attack.

But it comes with a Paul Ryan GUARANTEE! I assume this means either he'll resign or you'll get your money back if there is an attack. Unfortunately, you'll never know about an attack because the media doesn't cover them.

"We need to pause, and we need to make sure that the vetting standards are up to snuff so we can guarantee the safety and security of our country," he said. "That is what this does. We want that goal to be achieved."
Quote Reply
Re: I dont want to call the court biased but...... [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"We need to pause, and we need to make sure that the vetting standards are up to snuff so we can guarantee the safety and security of our country," he said. "That is what this does. We want that goal to be achieved."

Since there has never been a terrorist attack committed by immigrants, it's impossible to do better. If the new vetting standards are 100% perfect, they will still only match the current system. Second, to say the government can guarantee anything is plain dumb.

Maybe someone will come out and clarify what Paul Ryan meant to say. I would suggest someone from Trump's team, they've had a lot of practice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Of course the country can get by without 15,000 banned physicians. It'll just have to do it with reduced health for many residents, and bearing a higher health care cost for the effort.

I think the terror fear is overblown just like the irrational fear of guns often held by liberals. But ask me if I care if a bunch of non-citizens aren't allowed into the country? Because I don't. I do have a problem with people already awarded green cards not being admitted, but that appears to have been resolved. We could temporarily ban all visitors except from Japan or Britain and I wouldn't give two shits.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply

Prev Next